Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
Along the lines of Thunderbird, how about the Monterey Institute in CA?

I haven't heard much great things about Monterey Institute, aside from that, it seems that Thunderbird offers much more selections of courses and international experience.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wisconsin-Madison offers a specialization in brand management

"Our Center for Brand and Product Management is the nation’s first and only university-based center to focus exclusively on training MBAs in brand and product management"

https://www.bus.wisc.edu/mba/pm/default.asp
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wisconsin seems to have a good prgm in the focus area that I am interested in. Do you know if they favor younger applicants? And also, in some previous forums, it was mentioned that people usually attend a school that is close to the region that they would like to live in later on, if I want to stay around the west coast after I grad, would it be a wise choice to even consider Wisconsin?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would check with the school to see how they view students with your experience profile and to see if they have much placement power outside the Midwest.

Wisconsin certainly has some nice attibutes including extensive exposure to "hand on" learning for MBA students and an attractive campus.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Vanderbilt offers a concentration in Brand Management.

https://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/vanderbi ... gement.cfm

"Q: Will my application be considered if I have fewer than two years of full-time work experience?

Yes. The Admissions Committee reviews every application received, regardless of the amount of experience, and admits candidates with little or no experience as long as other areas of the application are exceptionally strong. However, applicants with more experience are generally more competitive. The average experience for applicants offered admission in recent years is five years; the middle 80% range was between two and eight years, and 95% had at least one year of full-time post-baccalaureate work experience."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GPA? [#permalink]
What would you considered as a strong GPA? Does most schools considered your GPA more during the last two years and your major GPA or do they care more of what you did throughout your whole four years? For example, if I have a strong GPA in my major and minor, but my overall ending GPA ends up to be a 3.3, is that considered as a poor GPA?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Some schools expressly state that the concentrate on the last two years, while most look over the entire undergraduate record.

A nominal GPA of 3.3 is right in the center of the distribution for Vanderbilt (3.3/640). However, these are nominal GPA figures so you can persuade the school to weight your GPA higher than its "face value" based on the difficulty of your undergraduate university, course load, major etc. As anyone can tell you, an upward trend in grades is better than a downward trend.

Vanderbilt:

We rely on the applicant’s academic records and test scores to assess his or her ability to succeed in the Vanderbilt MBA program. The ideal candidate has earned at least a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a top-quality college or university. A demanding course load in any field of study and a consistent record of high performance are desirable. Applicants who have taken courses or completed degrees in graduate or professional programs other than business administration also are encouraged to apply.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Does your explanation only refers to Vanderbilt or do you mean also with the other schools that I have mentioned that I am interested in. When you mentioned depending on the major and the coursework, I noticed that most of the GMATCLUB members are either business or engineering, while I am an English major. Does that mean I am an odd one? Does that make me less appealing as an applicant?

Also, for example, schools such as UCLA with applicants 3.5 average or UC Davis with applicants of 3.4 average overall, if i dont meet that by the end of my undergrad studies, does that mean I should cross these schools out because I am not in their range of criteria?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
The excerpt and stats come directly from Vanderbilt. The rest of my comments were generalities about high cluster MBA programs, not necessarily the specific schools that you are considering (which is not yet a defined set).

For the class of 2007, the mean GPA at Vanderbilt appears to be 3.23 (25th 2.97, 75th 3.54).

A background in English or other humanities major is not a disadvantage as long as you make it clear that you can handle the quantitative work at a major MBA program. In some ways, an "unusual" major is an advantage in that it distinguishes you from the vast sea of undergrad business and engineering students. Note that the percentage of humanities majors at major business schools varies (e.g. MIT around 4%, Georgetown around 10%).

This idea might help: Think of yourself as building a team to design and market a product. Would you want the team to consist of all engineers? All economists? All classics majors? Most people would want a range of people on the team with skills ranging from the highly quantitative to the highly qualitative, from those focused on specification to those focused on interpretation, perception, and meaning.

Re: UCLA and Davis, a nominal GPA below the mean is not necessarily fatal to one's application. After all, many students are accepted with GPAs below the center of the distribution. However, to state the obvious, the fewer weaknesses in your application the higher your chance of admission. This is especially true in your specific case since you are an "off market" candidate in the sense that schools are missing an important piece of information about you (work history and the associated references). Accordingly, the information that is presented must show you in the best light possible.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Although it seems that mostly everyone are more attracted to the top cluster schools, including myself. I am quite attracted to Thunderbird and after speaking to many alumnis, I felt that I am quite a good fit in that school. Except I am not sure if they take younger applicants. Do you know any more information other then what is posted on the gmatclub forums?

Also, I saw a posting of a girl whose background is similar to mine regarding her GMAT. What I am wondering is that, what is approximately a "good" GMAT score and a "good" GPA score for a younger applicant on a more realistic term (I am meaning that not everyone can get 700+)?

What would your definition of a "good" business school be? I've noticed that many people refers a good business to those that are well-known and at the top. But in contrary, is this necessarily considered "good" for everyone because of the name? or should there be other reasons that makes a school "good"? Does that mean schools that are not as known are bad?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I strongly agree that there are many good programs outside of the top few clusters. If you are looking for a quality education, you can certainly find it in many clusters. In other words, many programs across different clusters will effectively convey useful information about Marketing, Finance, MIS, Management, etc. and give you the opportunity to learn from other students and apply these lessons in a useful fashion.

However, many candidates are looking for more than just a quality education, they are looking for the schools with the best brand name. Indeed, there is quite a bit of truth in the idea that "perception is meaning." In other words, the schools that are perceived as the strongest often offer the best opportunities for students in part because this is where employers go when they are looking to hire. For some job types, it would be very difficult to be hired from outside the top few clusters. And, of course, going to higher cluster schools usually means that there will be a large number of other bright, high potential people to network with.

An important fact to keep in mind is that the general reputation of a school and its reputation in a specific field can differ significantly. Thunderbird and South Carolina both have moderately strong general reputations but are very well known for international business.

Regarding what would be considered a good GPA/GMAT it really depends on the type of school you are considering. If you are looking at the top clusters, I would consider around 3.5/700 to be good numbers. For other clusters a 3.2/630 would be quite good. Of course, one could still be accepted with lower grades/scores.

In the case of Thunderbird, I do not recall them being particularly open to younger candidates (I could be wrong about this). This might have changed in recent years, but I have yet to see any evidence of a change. Since it seems like a good fit, contact Thunderbird and see what they say.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Since you have mentioned in your previous message that perception is one of the important things, one of our fellow gmatclub members have mentioned that as well. It was said that there's no point of going to a b-school if the school has no reputation.

For instance, Thunderbird and South Carolina does not have as high of a reputation as top cluster schools, but they have a good reputation for international management, which is more important to considered? Their reptutation among top schools or just alone their program.

My idea of structuring my portfolio is somewhat beginning to get foggy since I've heard so much from differnet people. I am very limited in my choices, which makes it even more difficult. Should I let all these things discourage me?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
First, do not get discouraged by this process. This process can have its difficult moments but it does not have to sap you of all your energy. One of the best things about being a young applicant is that you have more time to research, discuss, and decide than other candidates. Accordingly, your portfolio has an extremely important additional dimension: time.

It is quite common for applicants to pick one set of schools, throw some schools out, put others in, bring back schools they have already thrown away, etc. As long as this does not become some sort of obcessive behavior, this is perfectly normal. After all, higher education is expensive- if people can spend weeks agonizing over which car to buy, it seems perfectly reasonable to be careful before investing time and money in an MBA program.

I respectfully disagree with the idea that attending an "unknown" program is necessarily a waste of time (to be fair, however, I would have to see the context of the statement). Unknown programs can do a very good job of teaching business fundamentals. Many CEOs of major firms attended relatively unknown MBA programs and seem to have done quite well. By analogy, many students who now attend ulta elite MBA programs attended relatively unknown undergraduate institutions. Would you say that attending an unknown institution was a waste of time even though it provided a sufficient stepping stone to the top cluster of business schools?

However, for some students I agree that attending an unknown program would be of little value. If one is primarily interested in the name recognition of the MBA program, attending a program that lacked this sort of name recognition would not make too much sense. Further, the relatively unknown programs would generally lack the exposure to a wide array of recruiters enjoyed by the high cluster schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
What do you think of the University of Rochester, Simon. From what I see through the forums, it seems that emphasize more on Finance. Do you know if their international management and marketing emphasis is just as good?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rochester is a strong school in areas besides finance and it has a brand management track within Marketing. With such a large percentage of international students, exposure to international business practices is virtually assured.

Rochester is commonly regarded as an intense program- this might not be big attraction for some students. However, you should come away with a firm grounding in the business fundamentals and strong analytical skills.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
What do you think of Pepperdine?

Do you think I should not even bother applying to Stanford, UCLA, or Columbia since they are quite selective on their applicants? Do you know if there are other options that I could replace it with that can maximize my chances of getting in a good b-school?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Do you think the undergraduate insitution that you attend will affect the decision on some B-schools?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3