GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 10:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

08:00 PM MST

09:00 PM MST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Pundit: It is good to have national leaders voted out

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
D
Pundit: It is good to have national leaders voted out  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 04:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

26% (01:55) correct 74% (01:58) wrong based on 313 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Pundit: It is good to have national leaders voted out of office after a few years. The reason is that reforms are generally undertaken early in a new government. If leaders do not act quickly to solve a problem and it becomes an issue later, then they must either deny that there is a problem or deny that anything could have been done about it; otherwise, they will have to admit responsibility for the persistence of the problem.

Which one of the following most accurately expresses the main conclusion of the pundit's argument?

(A) If national leaders who fail to solve problems are voted out of office after a few years, new leaders will be more motivated to solve problems.

(B) National leaders who stay in power too long tend to deny responsibility for problems that they could have dealt with earlier.

(C) National leaders are most likely to undertake reforms early in a new government.

(D) National leaders who immediately respond to problems upon taking office should be given enough time to succeed at solving them.

(E) National leaders should be removed from office every few years by the voting in of new leaders.

Source: LSAT
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 16:52
Pundit: It is good to have national leaders voted out of office after a few years. The reason is that reforms are generally undertaken early in a new government. If leaders do not act quickly to solve a problem and it becomes an issue later, then they must either deny that there is a problem or deny that anything could have been done about it; otherwise, they will have to admit responsibility for the persistence of the problem.

Which one of the following most accurately expresses the main conclusion of the pundit's argument?

(A) If national leaders who fail to solve problems are voted out of office after a few years, new leaders will be more motivated to solve problems. {WRONG - The main conclusion is not about the motivation of the new leaders}

(B) National leaders who stay in power too long tend to deny responsibility for problems that they could have dealt with earlier. {WRONG -even though this choice states a correct fact, it does not capture the main point of the argument. This choice is a supporting fact for the main conclusion of the argument.}

(C) National leaders are most likely to undertake reforms early in a new government. {WRONG - this is a prediction and not the main conclusion}

(D) National leaders who immediately respond to problems upon taking office should be given enough time to succeed at solving them. {WRONG - this is outside information and out of scope}

(E) National leaders should be removed from office every few years by the voting in of new leaders. {CORRECT - the main conclusion is the following: "It is good to have national leaders voted out of office after a few years.". This choice paraphrases this statement}
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: Pundit: It is good to have national leaders voted out  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 04:47
This is an easy question if we break it down into parts. If you do not do this, this question becomes nearly impossible:

Conclusion is in green
Premise is in blue
Additional premise in pink

To know what is a premise vs. a conclusion, use the Because/therefore test. -- Example: BECAUSE If leaders do not act quickly to solve a problem and it becomes an issue later, then they must either deny that there is a problem or deny that anything could have been done about it; otherwise, they will have to admit responsibility for the persistence of the problem. THEREFORE It is good to have national leaders voted out of office after a few years

Using this, we see (E) matches our self-described conclusion and is thus the answer!

(A) If national leaders who fail to solve problems are voted out of office after a few years, new leaders will be more motivated to solve problems.

(B) National leaders who stay in power too long tend to deny responsibility for problems that they could have dealt with earlier.

(C) National leaders are most likely to undertake reforms early in a new government.

(D) National leaders who immediately respond to problems upon taking office should be given enough time to succeed at solving them.

(E) National leaders should be removed from office every few years by the voting in of new leaders.

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 01:17
I see many people chose B over E,even I did the same that is wrong.
I see nightblade354 has explained it beautifully.But for my satisfaction i'm posting my view
My take of B after knowing that its a wrong choice!.
Quote:

This option is telling that National leaders who stay in power too long tend to deny responsibility for problems.......
But in the argument its just an if case, There is a possibility that else might happen It is nowhere stated that "National leaders who stay in power too long tend to deny responsibility for problems......." is definitely going to happen.

So this is a wrong choice.

E is already concluded in the question.E is the Deal!!.

If you want to Thank me Give me a KUDOS
"I’ve spent months preparing for the day I’d face you. I’ve come a long way, GMAT"- SonGoku

GMAT Club Bot
Pundit: It is good to have national leaders voted out &nbs [#permalink] 27 Aug 2018, 01:17

Pundit: It is good to have national leaders voted out

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap