Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:41 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Oxford Saïd School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Re: Q48 good enough for Oxford / Said MFE [#permalink]
Kudos
simkuhn wrote:
Hi, I just completed my GMAT and got a 750 (Q48, V44) and I am wondering whether this would be sufficient to be considered for the Master in Financial Economics at Oxford / Said Business School. The struggle I am dealing with is the following:
- either I re-take the GMAT and aim for a better quant score (my practice tests have been consistently around Q50 so I believe the stress factor was detrimental), but then I would have to apply second round
- or I apply first-round with my current GMAT score.

It basically comes down to this: does the higher acceptance rate in the first round compensate for the decreased chances because of the quant score or not?
Fyi: graduated first of the cohort with first-class honors, so GPA (and recommendation letters or essay) would not be a problem.

Thanks in advance! Really difficult one for me

simkuhn That is a great score to have! You should not worry at this point about the GMAT, at least. A Q48 and above is the suggested score for overrepresented demographics wanting to get into analytical and finance-heavy B-school programs.

Here are a few other tips for your applications-

For MFin applications, I advise you to address the following points in your application to demonstrate a strong motivation for the program:

Academic focus: Solid GMAT is good. Highlight any other academic accolades, scholarships, or recognitions you have received.

Proof of enthusiasm and motivation for the subject: Provide context regarding your passion for finance, starting from an early stage, and supplement your interest with examples of relevant courses, internships, or projects you have undertaken.

Understanding, experience, and appreciation of the subject through real-life applications and projects: Utilize insights from your internships, jobs, or other finance and economics related projects. Discuss specific projects or related topics that have been pivotal in motivating you to further explore the subject.

Super curricular activities: Share details about supplementary books, articles, research papers, or newspapers you have read. Highlight any relevant podcasts you listen to and explain how these activities support and complement your interest in the subject.

I strongly advise you to cover these points thoroughly in your SOPs.

Additionally, having a variety of extracurricular activities and language skills is advantageous. Discuss how these experiences and skills can contribute to your future as a business leader.

Here are a few other points to keep in mind:

1.Demonstrate originality and a thoughtful approach in your application.
2.Show active engagement with the target school and potential recruiters to learn about the post-MFin prospects, showcasing your conscientiousness. My applicants who recently successfully converted their offers from LSE had actively reached out to professors and engaged in discussions to gain meaningful insights about the program and courses. Demonstrating enthusiasm to truly understand the academic environment at LSE and other schools can greatly contribute to your success.

Get candid advice tailored to your specific situation. We do not cap discussion hours with our applicants.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
simkuhn wrote:
Hi, I just completed my GMAT and got a 750 (Q48, V44) and I am wondering whether this would be sufficient to be considered for the Master in Financial Economics at Oxford / Said Business School. The struggle I am dealing with is the following:
- either I re-take the GMAT and aim for a better quant score (my practice tests have been consistently around Q50 so I believe the stress factor was detrimental), but then I would have to apply second round
- or I apply first-round with my current GMAT score.

It basically comes down to this: does the higher acceptance rate in the first round compensate for the decreased chances because of the quant score or not?
Fyi: graduated first of the cohort with first-class honors, so GPA (and recommendation letters or essay) would not be a problem.

Thanks in advance! Really difficult one for me

Hello simkuhn,

Thanks for writing in.

You should not worry about your GMAT score; yes; the quantitative score could have been better; however, you do have a good overall score still.

It is time to focus on the rest of the application now and put forth a strong overall application in the first round itself.

Should you wish to discuss your profile in greater detail, please feel free to get in touch with us.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Judge, Said, and Bocconi Moderator
105 posts