Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:35 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22074 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Re: Q48 mock, Q44 actual - how do I not let it happen again? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:

1) What type of study routine have you been following so far? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) For your next attempt, are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Hi Rich! Thank you for replying!
Right now, I've been putting in about 20-23 hours per week.

I've used the official guide and the Quantitative review.

I am planning to give it in a test center because my internet is fairly inconsistent and it would give me anxiety throughout the exam. I also think test centers put me into an exam giving 'zone' so I think it's a better option for me.

My dream schools are LBS and Imperial (Finance Masters). I want to get done with before the LBS round 3 deadline.
If you have any more input, it would help me a lot.

I know that my main weaknesses in quant are inequalities and combinatorics.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi catsandpizza,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes and questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
catsandpizza wrote:
Hi guys,
So I just got done with the GMAT yesterday and I have to say I was severely disappointed. I started preparation on Nov the 10th and gave the test on the 1st of December - which is around about three weeks of prep (however, I had familiarized myself with the exam beforehand).
I gave three practice tests and got decent Quant scores in all of them:
Kaplan: Q45, V35 IR 5, 650 overall (one week into preparation)
OG1: Q46, V28 IR 7, 610 overall (around 12 days into prep)- I 'wasted' this one because I didn't give half of it seriously and kept getting interrupted
OG2: Q48 V34 IR 5, 680 overall (two days before the exam).

I honestly paid fairly little attention to the verbal section and simply focused on doing all of the OG quant questions and the 2019 Quant Review questions.
I was quite happy with the third test as I thought it represented my abilities quite well. I noticed I made a few silly mistakes in the quant section so I thought I could even get to a Q49 if I got lucky in the actual test. My aim was to get a Q48-49 and a V34-36.

On exam day, I thought I did quite well in the quant section, coming across a few 'difficult' problems, but nothing too extraordinary (I never found difficult problems too difficult during prep). I thought I flunked the verbal section as I ended up guessing the last 3 answers due to lack of time. To my surprise, I get a scorecard of 640, with Q44 and V34... My quant was lower than every single one of my mocks!
I didn't expect that at all, and to be frank was quite annoyed with myself. I spent most of my time prepping for quant, and it was my strong suit already, but I managed to mess up that section. Nevertheless, it was what it was.

Now, I just want to know how I should approach studying for my second attempt. I do feel as though the low quant score was a freak incident, but I'd rather it not happen again. I also think I'll be spending more time on the verbal section. I think I'm going to spend another 4 weeks on prep and will aim for a 700+ with a Q49-50 V38-V40.
I need help in devising a proper strategy and plan to get to that sort of score. If anyone could help me, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

Hey catsandpizza,

I was in a similar situation a few months. I scored a 570 with 43 on Quant. Then I started approaching my prep differently. I focused on the right methods and strategies to solve questions. I realized that the I have to approach the questions in a certain way. I finally scored a 720 with 50 on quant. You can go through my debrief to understand how I approached my GMAT prep.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-f ... l#p2648110
GMAT Club Bot