It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 23:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: Cheever College offers several online courses

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4823
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Cheever College offers several online courses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 10:17
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:39) correct 35% (01:43) wrong based on 110 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 199: Critical Reasoning


Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here



Cheever College offers several online courses via remote computer connection, in addition to traditional classroom-based courses. A study of student performance at Cheever found that, overall, the average student grade for online courses matched that for classroom-based courses. In this calculation of the average grade, course withdrawals were weighted as equivalent to a course failure, and the rate of withdrawal was much lower for students enrolled in classroom-based courses than for students enrolled in online courses.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true of Cheever College?

(A) Among students who did not withdraw, students enrolled in online courses got higher grades, on average, than students enrolled in classroom-based courses.

(B) The number of students enrolled per course at the start of the school term is much higher, on average, for the online courses than for the classroom-based courses.

(C) There are no students who take both an online and a classroom-based course in the same school term.

(D) Among Cheever College students with the best grades, a significant majority take online, rather than classroom-based, courses.

(E) Courses offered online tend to deal with subject matter that is less challenging than that of classroom-based courses.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1440
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
QOTD: Cheever College offers several online courses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 00:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Here we have another inference question, so we don't have a conclusion with a well-structured line of reasoning. As always, make sure that you clearly understand the given information and pay attention to the details:

  • Cheever College offers traditional classroom-based courses (CBCs) AND several online courses (OCs) via remote computer connection.
  • According to a study, the average student grade for OCs was the same as the average student grade for CBCs.
  • When calculating average grade for that study, course withdrawals were weighted as equivalent to a course failure.
  • The rate of withdrawal was much lower for CBC students than for OC students.

OC students were more likely to withdraw. In the eyes of the study, those students who withdrew failed the course. So before factoring in the students who did NOT withdraw, we are starting with a higher proportion of failure among the OC students. For example, if there were twice as many withdrawals from OCs as there were from CBCs, then we'd be starting with a failure rate that is twice as high among OC students as it is for CBC students (again, BEFORE factoring in the students who did not withdraw).

Now let's factor in the students who did NOT withdraw. Let's say that the average grade among OC students who did not withdraw was the SAME as the average grade among CBC students who did not withdraw. As stated above, there were more OC withdrawals. So if the non-withdrawal averages are equal and there are more OC withdrawals, then the overall average of OC students would have to be lower than the overall average of CBC students.

But we are told that this is not the case and that the overall averages are the same for both groups. Remember, when we are just looking at the withdrawals, we are starting with a higher failure proportion among OC students. In order for the average of the OC students to "catch-up" to the average of the CBC students, the average of the OC students who did NOT withdraw would have to be HIGHER than the average of the CBC students who did not withdraw. Otherwise, the CBC students would have a higher overall average.

Quote:
(A) Among students who did not withdraw, students enrolled in online courses got higher grades, on average, than students enrolled in classroom-based courses.

As described in the preceding analysis, choice (A) has to be true. Keep this one.

Quote:
(B) The number of students enrolled per course at the start of the school term is much higher, on average, for the online courses than for the classroom-based courses.

The study is concerned with AVERAGE grades, so we cannot determine anything about the actual number of students per course. Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) There are no students who take both an online and a classroom-based course in the same school term.

The study compares average student grade for OCs to average student grade for CBCs. This study could be conducted even if some students took both types of courses. The study would simply include the student's OC grades in the OC average and include the student's CBC grades in the CBC average. So we might have students who took both types and we might not. (C) cannot be determined.

Quote:
(D) Among Cheever College students with the best grades, a significant majority take online, rather than classroom-based, courses.

As with choice (B), the findings involve AVERAGE grades. It is certainly possible that a large portion of the students with the BEST grades took CBCs. As long as the AVERAGE of OC students who did not withdraw was higher than the AVERAGE of the CBC students who did not withdraw, it doesn't matter which group has the students with the BEST grades. For example, it is possible that the 10 best students all took CBCs, the rest of the CBC students did poorly, and most of the OC students did fairly well.

Choice (D) might be true, but we don't know for sure. And we certainly cannot determine that a significant majority of the students with the best grades took OCs rather than CBCs. Eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) Courses offered online tend to deal with subject matter that is less challenging than that of classroom-based courses.

The information in the passage does not offer any evidence to EXPLAIN the data. All we can determine is that the average of the OC students who did NOT withdraw has to be higher than the average of the CBC students who did not withdraw. A number of factors could explain this result (better teachers, better courses, etc). Choice (E) is a possible explanation, but we cannot determine whether it is true based on the information in the passage. Eliminate (E).

Choice (A) is the only statement that HAS to be true.
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- starts February 14!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 91
Location: United States
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: Cheever College offers several online courses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 11:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 199: Critical Reasoning


Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here



Cheever College offers several online courses via remote computer connection, in addition to traditional classroom-based courses. A study of student performance at Cheever found that, overall, the average student grade for online courses matched that for classroom-based courses. In this calculation of the average grade, course withdrawals were weighted as equivalent to a course failure, and the rate of withdrawal was much lower for students enrolled in classroom-based courses than for students enrolled in online courses.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true of Cheever College?

(A) Among students who did not withdraw, students enrolled in online courses got higher grades, on average, than students enrolled in classroom-based courses.

(B) The number of students enrolled per course at the start of the school term is much higher, on average, for the online courses than for the classroom-based courses.

(C) There are no students who take both an online and a classroom-based course in the same school term.

(D) Among Cheever College students with the best grades, a significant majority take online, rather than classroom-based, courses.

(E) Courses offered online tend to deal with subject matter that is less challenging than that of classroom-based courses.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.


IMO - A

Option A - Correct answer; If classroom guys got less F than online course enrolled guys but still have the similar average grade, the guys who completed online course must have had better grades than classroom enrolled guys.
B - Not necessary with given stem info.
C - Irrelevant, no information provided
D - Information is provided about the average grade, not the best grades. Also, no other information available about numbers of classroom students and remote course enrolled students.
E - As per stem, we are talking about each course average grade comparison so out of scope.
_________________

*****************************************************************
Kudos are always welcome.

Re: QOTD: Cheever College offers several online courses   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2018, 11:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

QOTD: Cheever College offers several online courses

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.