GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Quadratic function in GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Schools: CUHK '16
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
Quadratic function in GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 17:56
For a quadratic function f(x)=ax^2 + bx + c, we may be aware that, in reality, f(x) can always be greater than zero. In such case, there will be no solution for x.

So far I have not encountered such cases when I am having my revision in GMAT Quantitative session. BUT, will such cases happen in GMAT?

Thanks a lot1
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Quadratic function in GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 18:02
universehk wrote:
For a quadratic function f(x)=ax^2 + bx + c, we may be aware that, in reality, f(x) can always be greater than zero. In such case, there will be no solution for x.

So far I have not encountered such cases when I am having my revision in GMAT Quantitative session. BUT, will such cases happen in GMAT?

Thanks a lot1

For a quadratic equation to have no REAL solution, the discriminant (D) = \(b^2-4ac\) needs to be < 0. It is incorrect to say that "f(x) can always be greater than zero. In such case, there will be no solution for x.".

IMO, you are correct that GMAT will not give any quadratic equation that will not have any real values x as this will go against the GMAT's prescribed "all numbers are real numbers" (from Section 5.2, page 150 of Official Guide, 13th Edition).
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Answers
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Quadratic function in GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2015, 09:56
It is not that there will be no solution... This is an equation and there are actually infinite solutions. What you are saying is that there will be not x-intercepts. That is different than not having a solution.

Want to Ace the GMAT with 1 button? Start Here:
GMAT Answers is an adaptive learning platform that will help you understand exactly what you need to do to get the score that you want.

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 22:14
universehk wrote:

Thanks a lot1

Understand what is meant by f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
If we want to depict this equation on the coordinate axis, we say

y = ax^2 + bx + c is an upward sloping parabola if a is positive.

What is the meaning of solving ax^2 + bx + c = 0 for x? It means, when y = 0, what is the value of x? So you are looking for x intercepts.

What is the meaning of solving ax^2 + bx + c = d for x? It means, when y = d, what is the value of x? Depending on the values of a, b, c and d, you may or may not get values for x.

e.g. x^2 - 2x - 3 = 0
(x + 1)(x - 3) = 0
x = -1 or 3

This is what it looks like:
Attachment:
images.jpeg
images.jpeg [ 6.03 KiB | Viewed 1124 times ]

So what do you do when you have x^2 - 2x -3 = -3?
You solve it in the same way:
x^2 - 2x -3 + 3 = 0
x(x - 2) = 0
x = 0 or 2

So when y is -3, x is 0 or 2.

Similarly, you can solve for it when y = 5 and get two values for x.

What happens when you put y = -5?

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Director
Director
B
Affiliations: GMATQuantum

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2015, 22:51
universehk

Yes, the GMAT does test the concept of a parabola not having any x-intercepts or intersecting the x-axis. Typically the question may come in a data sufficiency format and ask does the parabola y=ax^2+bx+c intersect the x-axis? Most of these problems would fall in the hardest category. Such questions have been tested in the last five years and you will not see them in the Official GMAT guides.

Dabral
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 00:17
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Quadratic function in GMAT &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jan 2018, 00:17

Quadratic function in GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap