It is currently 21 Apr 2018, 00:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quant ability dropped during test

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3.4
Quant ability dropped during test  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2017, 14:15
This post received
KUDOS
I sat for the test for the first time yesterday. I started with the quant section like I usually did during the practice exams. During the practice exams I always got decent scores in quant section and rarely made guesses, I always had a strategy and I was able to recognize questions types quickly. On the exam it was a whole other story. I got stuck right away on the first few questions, I felt like I had no solid strategy. I resorted to really desperate question solving strategies to keep pace and answer the questions. I ended up scoring below my goal due to my trouble on the quant section. Does anybody have any recommendation on how I could improve from this situation?

I am considering going through a few quant dedicated gmat guides such as Kaplan's math workbook and the Manhattan foundations of math book. I
Hope that this was just a case of being anxious on my first sitting. It felt like I had completely lost all my GMAT math knowledge the second the first question appeared on the screen. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Quant ability dropped during test [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2017, 20:48
This post received
KUDOS
Emilio95 wrote:
I sat for the test for the first time yesterday. I started with the quant section like I usually did during the practice exams. During the practice exams I always got decent scores in quant section and rarely made guesses, I always had a strategy and I was able to recognize questions types quickly. On the exam it was a whole other story. I got stuck right away on the first few questions, I felt like I had no solid strategy. I resorted to really desperate question solving strategies to keep pace and answer the questions. I ended up scoring below my goal due to my trouble on the quant section. Does anybody have any recommendation on how I could improve from this situation?

I am considering going through a few quant dedicated gmat guides such as Kaplan's math workbook and the Manhattan foundations of math book. I
Hope that this was just a case of being anxious on my first sitting. It felt like I had completely lost all my GMAT math knowledge the second the first question appeared on the screen. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Before I provide you any substantial tips to improve, may I know what practice exams you used ?
Also, if you were able to identify the question types in your practice exams, I don't think there is an issue with your Quant foundation (& hence going to Manhattan foundation book will not be useful).
Can you also give details on what were ur scores in practice and in official gmat ?

I seriously think that is more of an anxiety issue and since you got disturbed in the initial few mins it affected the rest of ur test and thus the drop in score.

Still, if you can provide indepth details about ur practice scores (in which topics u were scoring well and in which ones not so well) and ESR for ur official gmat.

Hope this helps.

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics, Leadership
GPA: 2.52

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2017, 21:17
I completely understand. I am taking the test in 5 days and the anxiety is building up on me. it is hard for me to focus
GMAT Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2017, 21:51
Emilio95 wrote:

It will be easier to understand and analyse if you mention your practice CAT scores, your target score, and your actual GMAT score. Further, I suggest you to get the ESR to check in which areas you did poorly.

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 06:24
mihir0710 wrote:
Emilio95 wrote:

Before I provide you any substantial tips to improve, may I know what practice exams you used ?
Also, if you were able to identify the question types in your practice exams, I don't think there is an issue with your Quant foundation (& hence going to Manhattan foundation book will not be useful).
Can you also give details on what were ur scores in practice and in official gmat ?

I seriously think that is more of an anxiety issue and since you got disturbed in the initial few mins it affected the rest of ur test and thus the drop in score.

Still, if you can provide indepth details about ur practice scores (in which topics u were scoring well and in which ones not so well) and ESR for ur official gmat.

Hope this helps.

The CATs I used in build up to the exam were GMAT prep. Exactly 2 weeks before I scored a 600, Q40 V32. I used this exam as an indicator on where I should focus my studying. I had to improve quant and RC a lot so I studied like crazy over the next week. 1 week before exam I tried to recreate exam like conditions for my practice. Woke up at same time I would for the actual exam and started at same time as well, I scored a 680 Q45 V38, I was pretty happy with this. A few days later I took another practice exam on GMAT prep, I scored a 620 Q42 V33. I didn't feel too focused during that one and was just thinking about the actual exam that was 4 days away. However, I was pretty sure that I could score in that 620-680 range so I was aiming for a 640-650 ideally. On the test day I got a lousy 590 Q37 V34. It feels horrible when your score is so far off from your goal.

Break down of the last two practice exams

680 Q45 V38: 71 st percentile in DS, PS percentile in the 50s. Geometry 49th percentile. Arithmetic 66th percentile.

620 Q42 V33: DS percentile dropped by 20%, PS and geometry stayed the same. Arithmetic dropped by 15-20%. Verbal drop was significant too but I was losing focus during verbal section.

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 08:14
This post received
KUDOS
Manhattan foundations of math book is good. Go through the foundation then go through the other Mnahattan books. Take at least 2-3 month's time to prepare every concepts thoroughly. Try solving 30 - 50 easier questions after completing each concept. It will help you retain the concepts learned.

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Re: Quant ability dropped during test   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2018, 08:14

Quant ability dropped during test

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap