GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 31 Mar 2020, 19:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Quant sections to focus on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Quant sections to focus on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 17:59
Hi all,

First GMAT Club post.

I'm due to take my GMAT end of November and want to know which Quant sections I should focus the next few weeks on. Target Q46, actual is Q37 however this is due to mistakes rather than lack of understanding.

For example: I struggle with medium/hard Geometry questions however based on reading other posts here, not sure how many Geometry questions come up.

I want to make sure I focus my revision for the next 1-1.5 weeks well before I move onto verbal (my stronger section).

Any advice/tips will be helpful.

Thank you.

p.s. I have the OG and using both Maghoosh and eGMAT.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
D
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Quant sections to focus on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 19:03
Hi, layiwolo,

Usually, 60-70% of questions in quant section comprises Arithmetic, Algebra and word problems, and remaining geometry and advanced topics. So,try to solve more Official questions on Algebra & Arithmetic (including word problems) than geometry and advanced topics as your exam is due in near future. As your current ability is Q37, try easy and medium levels questions first for above suggested topics, once you feel comfortable with easy and medium questions, you can move to hard questions,if time allows you.

Hope it helps.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 19:35
I suggest that you work on both quant and verbal every day though you can certainly assign more time for quant first and verbal next. Especially for quant, your weaker section, stopping working on it for weeks may reverse the previous improvement.

Also, even though you have completed official GMAT questions, you can still retake them and may see new questions. Official questions are the best resources. For questions you get wrong, be sure to spend time to fully understand how to solve the similar questions next time.

Good luck!
VP
VP
V
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 19:59
layiwolo wrote:
Hi all,

First GMAT Club post.

I'm due to take my GMAT end of November and want to know which Quant sections I should focus the next few weeks on. Target Q46, actual is Q37 however this is due to mistakes rather than lack of understanding.

For example: I struggle with medium/hard Geometry questions however based on reading other posts here, not sure how many Geometry questions come up.

I want to make sure I focus my revision for the next 1-1.5 weeks well before I move onto verbal (my stronger section).

Thank you.

When you mean mistakes rather than lack of understanding, do you mean silly mistakes?
VP
VP
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 20:29
layiwolo wrote:
Hi all,

First GMAT Club post.

Thank you.

For a Q46 and above you need a strong foundation. If you are committing silly mistakes then you need to maintain and review your error log religiously and ensure that you don't commit the same mistakes again and again.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2019, 02:43
Thank you all for the comments/advice.

I will leverage an error log more to make sure I'm not making the same mistakes over and over again.

I know I've built a solid foundation, just need to keep practising.

Thank you all

Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2019, 12:21
Hi layiwolo,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Although I don’t know much about how you have been studying, the fact that you are currently at Q37 (9 points off your score goal), is a sign that you have numerous weak areas that need to be addressed in order for you to hit your score goal. Meanwhile, since there is no way to predict what quant topics you may see on test day, I’d say it’s important to improve in all of GMAT quant, rather than just stick to certain topics. Remember, part of the difficulty of the GMAT is the fact that so few quant questions are asked (only 31), but so many concepts can be tested. Thus, to be successful on the GMAT, and to achieve a quant score in the mid 40s, you must know ANY quant topic that could be thrown your way on test day. So, if you find that you need more time, I’d suggest pushing your GMAT to a later date and taking it when you are truly ready to do so.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
197 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2019, 13:08
Hi layiwolo,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used besides the courses that you listed?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When is your exact Test Date?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Quant sections to focus on   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2019, 13:08

Quant sections to focus on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep