It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 02:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quarried from a site over five miles away, scientists are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1239 [0], given: 157

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User
Quarried from a site over five miles away, scientists are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2010, 10:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (00:49) correct 24% (00:43) wrong based on 250 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Quarried from a site over five miles away, scientists are still puzzled as to how the prehistoric Britons managed to transport the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge over such a great distance without machinery.

A. scientists are still puzzled as to how the prehistoric Britons managed to transport the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge over such a great distance without machinery.
B. the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge are still puzzling to scientists because of how the ancient Britons managed to transport them over such a great distance without machinery.
C. scientists are still puzzled by how the prehistoric Britons managed the transportation of the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge without machinery over such a great distance.
D. the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge still puzzle scientists, who wonder how the prehistoric Britons managed to transport them over such a great distance without machinery.
E. the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge are still a puzzle to scientists due to being transported over such a great distance without machinery.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 36

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: MGMAT: Quarried from a site over five miles away [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2010, 11:01
"Quarried" -----> can only apply to massive stone blocks. Only B, D and E left.

B : "puzzling" is present progressive. The question used to puzzle scientists, its puzzling scientists and will likely to puzzle them in the future. You have to use simple present tense - puzzle.

For example -
Sun rises in the East. ----> It used to rise in the East. It is rising in the East. Tomorrow it will rise in the East. Present tense is the best way to state a fact.

D : Answer

E : "being" OUT

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 36

Retired Moderator

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2010, 11:20
what is the antecedent of "them" in option "D"??? :shock: I tried too much to convince myself that "them" is used correctly in option D, but couldn't.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 920 [1], given: 36

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2010, 11:27
This post received
KUDOS
I wouldn't worry too much bcos it appears in both B and D. E is hopeless because its passive - "due to being"

D. the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge still puzzle scientists, who wonder how the prehistoric Britons managed to transport them over such a great distance without machinery.

"them" refers to massive stone blocks. Prehistoric Britons cannot transport today's scientists.

Hussain15 wrote:
what is the antecedent of "them" in option "D"??? :shock: I tried too much to convince myself that "them" is used correctly in option D, but couldn't.

Kudos [?]: 920 [1], given: 36

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2010, 01:43
A and C are out because Modifier doesn't modify scientists.

E is wrong because it is awkward and being is used.

between B and D, both options use them for massive stone block but as B is awkward. "D" is correct ans.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 0

Schools: ISB

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2010, 04:37
Hussain15 wrote:

A clear case of reflexive pronoun !!!

In this case for correct choice D.... "THEM" clearly refer to massive stone blocks of Stonehenge

In case we needed to refer to "prehistoric Britons " then "THEMSELVES (reflexive pronoun) should have been used....So no ambiguity here !!!

Hope this helps !!!

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2010, 10:45
IMO D...

them is a case of reflexive pronoun... referring to the stones..

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 7

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 792 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2010, 08:59
D for me.

it is between B, D and E because "Quarried from a site over five miles away" modifies "the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge"

B and E are incorrect. D it is.

Kudos [?]: 792 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 37

Schools: Tepper '16 (S)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Quarried from a site over five miles away, scientists are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2013, 23:59
I am still confused what is the verb in the sentence D ???

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 37

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1630 [1], given: 197

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 00:08
This post received
KUDOS
venkat18290 wrote:
I am still confused what is the verb in the sentence D ???

puzzle is acting as a verb.

please refer this :
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/puzzle

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Kudos [?]: 1630 [1], given: 197

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2014, 16:42
nusmavrik wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much bcos it appears in both B and D. E is hopeless because its passive - "due to being"

"them" refers to massive stone blocks. Prehistoric Britons cannot transport today's scientists.

Hussain15 wrote:

I'm a little confused by the same point -- is there *SOME* ambiguity there with the word "them"? I mean, logically, yes, "them" refers to stone blocks but can't it refer to scientist's as well despite the ",who" which always modifies scientists.

Thanks!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 865 [0], given: 724

GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2014, 20:00
russ9 wrote:
nusmavrik wrote:

Hussain15 wrote:

I'm a little confused by the same point -- is there *SOME* ambiguity there with the word "them"? I mean, logically, yes, "them" refers to stone blocks but can't it refer to scientist's as well despite the ",who" which always modifies scientists.

Thanks!

Quarried from a site over five miles away, scientists are still puzzled as to how the prehistoric Britons managed to transport the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge over such a great distance without machinery.

A. scientists are still puzzled as to how the prehistoric Britons managed to transport the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge over such a great distance without machinery.
B. the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge are still puzzling to scientists because of how the ancient Britons managed to transport them over such a great distance without machinery.
C. scientists are still puzzled by how the prehistoric Britons managed the transportation of the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge without machinery over such a great distance.
E. the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge are still a puzzle to scientists due to being transported over such a great distance without machinery.

For this question the answer is D and if you observe carefully, them here can stand only for stone blocks.
Incase you replace them with scientists, the sentence will not make sense. Let's look at option B and D

"the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge are still puzzling to scientists because of how the ancient Britons managed to transport scientists (them) over such a great distance without machinery.

"the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge still puzzle scientists, who wonder how the prehistoric Britons managed to transport scientists (them) over such a great distance without machinery.

Usually pronouns they/which/whose/who/that refer to immediately preceding noun. Note it is not always but in most cases. who refers to scientists in option D

Hope it helps

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2014, 17:45
WoundedTiger wrote:
russ9 wrote:

Thanks!

For this question the answer is D and if you observe carefully, them here can stand only for stone blocks.
Incase you replace them with scientists, the sentence will not make sense. Let's look at option B and D

"the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge are still puzzling to scientists because of how the ancient Britons managed to transport scientists (them) over such a great distance without machinery.

"the massive stone blocks of Stonehenge still puzzle scientists, who wonder how the prehistoric Britons managed to transport scientists (them) over such a great distance without machinery.

Usually pronouns they/which/whose/who/that refer to immediately preceding noun. Note it is not always but in most cases. who refers to scientists in option D

Hope it helps

Hi WoundedTiger,

You bring up a really interesting point that I wonder if you can further clarify, or perhaps debunk my misconception.

- I understood pronoun ambiguity as such -- IF I can attach a pronoun(them in option D), to ANY noun, then it's ambiguous, especially if that attachment does NOT make sense. That being said, what I understood from your comment above is -- pronoun is ONLY ambiguous if it can be attached to two separate nouns and they both make sense. Is that correct? So if there is a "who" and there are two things -- a person and a thing then the "who" is not ambiguous because it can only refer to the person. Is that what you're saying here?

- Since "who" refers to the scientists(which I can clearly see), does that mean that another pronoun HAS to refer to a DIFFERENT noun, even if it makes logical sense to refer to the "scientists"?

Thanks!

Director
Director

GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2014, 01:59
pronoun is ONLY ambiguous if it can be attached to two separate nouns and they both make sense. Is that correct?

Yes. This is correct. It should make sense with only 1 noun. But, in the real exam,it may not be that easy and therefore..you will also need to look at another error in the sentence. This is a good pointer. Especially for these 6 nouns it/which/they/them/who/whose. These pronoun usually refer to immediate preceding noun but in some questions you will see that it can jump over a prepositional phrase(because prepositional phrase cannot be placed anywhere else in the sentence) and modify the noun.

Check out the article from e-gmat as well.
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

You will also come across some questions where the usage of it is bit ambiguous as you don't see a pronoun clearly. There are few question where I have faltered on..check out the link
the-ground-swell-of-public-opinion-made-it-inevitable-that-138509.html#p1119587

- Since "who" refers to the scientists(which I can clearly see), does that mean that another pronoun HAS to refer to a DIFFERENT noun, even if it makes logical sense to refer to the "scientists"?

Note: who can only refer to people and cannot refer to thing. Thus, you are right in your assessment.

Having said that, your doubt of another pronoun referring to another noun is not always correct. If the sentence is long enough and the subject of the sentence becomes an object of the sentence then the different pronoun (object) may be referring to the same noun. But, usually this should not be the case. If you come across a sentence that type, you can always post and get your answer.

For more on this, you may put a

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 105

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Quarried from a site over five miles away [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 03:31

Source: Carcass & Souvik meaning SC

Please help to clarify the meaning of option D. Since the relative pronoun modifier is placed after the comma, it is a non-restrictive modifier, isn't it? If it is the case, the meaning of option D will change, right?

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 105

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9303 [0], given: 1169

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 04:06

Kudos [?]: 9303 [0], given: 1169

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2016, 06:41
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 13:33
My answer is D....

Firstly, the noun modifier initially modifies the noun stones not the scientists so stones should follow it, thus...

A and C are eliminated

E sounds awkward remove it...
now if we look at B present continuous followed by simple past never heard of it plus "puzzling to scientists" that also sounds awkward while as

In D
if main clause is simple present then the dependent clause can be simple past if "it shows a past time action" that is a rule

here, scientists are discussing now (simple present) about an incident already happened in past so (simple past)

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 855

Re: Quarried from a site over five miles away, scientists are   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2017, 13:33

Quarried from a site over five miles away, scientists are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap