GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2019, 01:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Query MBA program at American Ivy league like HBS,Stanford

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Query MBA program at American Ivy league like HBS,Stanford  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 03:08
Dear people

I am a chemical engineer with 12 years of experience in the oil and gas industry . At the moment, I am considering both a one year or a two year MBA.

I wish to change my industry (currently oil and gas) to something more exciting (start-ups in energy or other sectors eg digital business etc) . Based on my search so far, I find that schools like HBS,Stanford have a robust MBA programme combined with the start-ups curriculum.

My query is that if I happen to enrol in one of these good schools and spend two years being away from work and earning money, would be it worth it ?

Is it possible that I can gain work experience while doing a full time MBA itself (eg some project or start-up programme offered by the school where I participate) or would those 2 years (sans the internship) be seen merely from an academic perspective and not counted as any work experience?

I seek your experienced suggestions on this topic and would request to ask me in case you want me to elaborate further for clarity.

regards
Anand R.Iyer
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Query MBA program at American Ivy league like HBS,Stanford  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 06:31
Welcome to GMAT Club finally.

1. If you can switch to the industry you are looking to enter without an MBA, then by all means do it
2. Your MBA will be an MBA degree. It won't come with MySQL certificate or a pilot license. It is a business degree. It is usually extremely involved and very intense to do much else seriously on a side. Some people manage to spend 10-15 hrs per week doing an internship or working on a startup but it comes at a cost of personal or study time
3. You are getting up there in your age - make sure you research shool class profiles to make sure you can still qualify. Most US MBA programs won't take a 35-year old and it is very hard to get in being older than 32. Most will shift older applicants into the EMBA programs instead.

Good Luck!

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Intern
Intern
Re: Query MBA program at American Ivy league like HBS,Stanford  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 11:37
bb

First of all thanks for your response. I dont think it is possible for me to change the industry given my qualifications,experience etc. I happened to get a similiar response as yours from a different person, where they suggested I should try for fellowship programs.

As for EMBA, from what I have read so far ,I understand it wont give me a chance to shift industry.I think so far I have read that only two year MBA's with internship help people to change their sectors.

I will work on this and figure out how to go about it. On a personal note, thanks a lot for pouring in your valuable suggestions.

regards
Anand Iyer
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Query MBA program at American Ivy league like HBS,Stanford   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2017, 11:37

Query MBA program at American Ivy league like HBS,Stanford

new topic post reply Update application status