GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 20:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Question about combination problems

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Question about combination problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 14:55
Good afternoon.

Some combination problems use the equation x!/y!
-ie, how many ways can the letters in COMMON be arranged = 6! / (2!2!)

while others use the equation, n! / (k! (n-k)!)
-ie, how many combinations of grabbing 3 marbles from a bag of 10 marbles = 10! / (3!(10-3)!)

how do you know which one to use?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Question about combination problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 21:41
Hi btan219,

The first example that you listed is actually a Permutation question - because you're putting letters in order. The reason why that calculation is divided by 2! and (another) 2! is because there are 2 Ms and 2 Os. If you we were dealing with 6 DIFFERENT letters and forming 6-letter arrangements, then there would be 6! = 720 possibilities. With the word COMMON though....

C(O1)(M1)(M2)(O2)N is the same as...
C(O1)(M2)(M1)(O2)N and a few other variations, but you're not allowed to count them all because they are not unique results. The 2! and 2! remove all of the duplicate entries.

The 'big' question that you're asking is really about 'order' - when reading through the question, you have to ask yourself IF order matters. If it does, then it's a Permutation question; if it does NOT, then it's a Combination question. Thankfully, the questions themselves often offer clues (the word "arrangement" means Permutation, the word "combinations" means Combination).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 20:11
btan219 wrote:
Good afternoon.

-ie, how many combinations of grabbing 3 marbles from a bag of 10 marbles = 10! / (3!(10-3)!)

hi btan219,
at times the wording of the question does tell you what to use..
1) if the Q asks you to find combinations, selection, order not important, etc you got to use combinations formula...a!/b!(a-b)!...
2) if the Q asks you to find permutations, arrangements, order important, etc you got to use permutations formula...a!/(a-b)!...

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 23:14
btan219 wrote:
Good afternoon.

Check out this post: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/11 ... binations/
It discusses the difference between the two concepts - permutation and combination - in detail

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 07:39
eh. im still really confused. the veritas confused me even more. i really dont understand what they mean by arranging and not arranging.

1)in the first example, they asked: there are 5 friends but only 3 seats in a row. In how many ways can you make 3 of the 5 friends sit in the 3 seats?
5 combinations can sit in seat 1, 4 combinations can sit in seat 2, and 3 combinations can sit in seat 3.
5x4x3=60
what is the equation being used? i dont see any way a!/b! or a!/(b!(a-b)!) will get 60

2) second example says 5 friends and you have to invite any 3 of them to go with you on a vacation. In how many ways can you do that? they give the answer as 10, they didnt state it but im guess they used 5!/(3!(5-3)!)
but isn't it the same thing as the one above? choosing the first friend, i have 5 to choose from. choosing the second friend i have 4 to choose from. choosing the 3 friend i have 3 to choose from. shouldnt it still be 60?

3) and also, i thought the first problem was a permutation (order matters), so why isn't 5!/3!(5-3)!) used? and isn't the second problem a combination problem, why isn't 5!/3! used?

i know these 2 examples are easy and countable, but i want to be able to know which equations to use, im sure the problems aren't going to be this simple in the gmat. but even though its so simple i really just dont get it at all.

this is really confusing and i feel like if i dont get a basic concept as this, i should just give up. how many problems can you possible get about combinations/permutations on the actual gmat anyways?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 08:01
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi btan219,

The first example that you listed is actually a Permutation question - because you're putting letters in order. The reason why that calculation is divided by 2! and (another) 2! is because there are 2 Ms and 2 Os. If you we were dealing with 6 DIFFERENT letters and forming 6-letter arrangements, then there would be 6! = 720 possibilities. With the word COMMON though....

C(O1)(M1)(M2)(O2)N is the same as...
C(O1)(M2)(M1)(O2)N and a few other variations, but you're not allowed to count them all because they are not unique results. The 2! and 2! remove all of the duplicate entries.

The 'big' question that you're asking is really about 'order' - when reading through the question, you have to ask yourself IF order matters. If it does, then it's a Permutation question; if it does NOT, then it's a Combination question. Thankfully, the questions themselves often offer clues (the word "arrangement" means Permutation, the word "combinations" means Combination).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

you're saying the COMMON problem is a permutation, but it still uses the a!/b! formula. but i thought permutation are supposed to use a!/(b!(a-b)!)...
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 00:51
btan219 wrote:
eh. im still really confused. the veritas confused me even more. i really dont understand what they mean by arranging and not arranging.

1)in the first example, they asked: there are 5 friends but only 3 seats in a row. In how many ways can you make 3 of the 5 friends sit in the 3 seats?
5 combinations can sit in seat 1, 4 combinations can sit in seat 2, and 3 combinations can sit in seat 3.
5x4x3=60
what is the equation being used? i dont see any way a!/b! or a!/(b!(a-b)!) will get 60

2) second example says 5 friends and you have to invite any 3 of them to go with you on a vacation. In how many ways can you do that? they give the answer as 10, they didnt state it but im guess they used 5!/(3!(5-3)!)
but isn't it the same thing as the one above? choosing the first friend, i have 5 to choose from. choosing the second friend i have 4 to choose from. choosing the 3 friend i have 3 to choose from. shouldnt it still be 60?

3) and also, i thought the first problem was a permutation (order matters), so why isn't 5!/3!(5-3)!) used? and isn't the second problem a combination problem, why isn't 5!/3! used?

i know these 2 examples are easy and countable, but i want to be able to know which equations to use, im sure the problems aren't going to be this simple in the gmat. but even though its so simple i really just dont get it at all.

this is really confusing and i feel like if i dont get a basic concept as this, i should just give up. how many problems can you possible get about combinations/permutations on the actual gmat anyways?

You actually get only 2-3 questions on P&C so don't worry too much.

That said, the basics of P&C that you are struggling with are not that hard to master. Take another example:

There are 5 students:A, B, C, D and E

Case 1: You have to select 3 students to make a quiz team.
Note here that all 3 students have the same position - member of the quiz team. If you select A, B and C, they make the same team as that when you select B, C and A. There is no "first" team member, "second" team member etc. All 3 members have the same position. All you have to do here is SELECT a group of 3 students out of 5. This is done in 5!/3!*2! = 10 ways

Case 2: You have to select 3 students and give them gold, silver and bronze medals.
Now, you SELECT 3 students as before but you also have to ARRANGE them in first second and third positions (gold, silver and bronze). The three students will occupy three different positions. You do have "first" position, "second" position etc here. So selection and arrangement is done in 5!/2! = 60 ways.
This is similar to the case where out of 5 friends, 3 are selected and made to sit in a row because each seat is different. You have a "first" seat, "second" seat and "third" seat so A, B, C is different from B, C, A. Here again, you have to select and arrange so you use 5!/2! = 60 (Mind you, the two formulas are a!/(a-b)! and a!/b!*(a-b)!)

For more details, I suggest you to check out our Combinatorics book. It starts with the basics and goes on to discuss a lot of GMAT relevant concepts.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 08:56
yup. no way im gonna get this, ive already read several guides and posts. thanks for the help though guys
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 23:56
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Question about combination problems &nbs [#permalink] 28 Jan 2018, 23:56

Question about combination problems

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap