GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 18:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Question about GPA in Business Schools.....?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Question about GPA in Business Schools.....?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2014, 14:01
Hello Folks,

I decided to go to a well known accredit business college not university in NYC because I thought I had a good chance to obtain a 4.0 GPA in Accounting for my Master Degree and the cost of tuition is affordable. However after all the hard work, I failed to obtain an A in one of my accounting course and end up with a B (every other class I had an A grade). Due the B grade it had dropped my GPA from a 4.0 to 3.92.
I always wanted to be on stage during the graduation commencement and be one (recognized) ) of the top 10 students in the college and receive a metal for my achievement. But because of my 3.92 GPA It did not happen as I had plan to due to a professor that I will hate him for the rest of my life and did not want to change the grade and when I tried to convince the professor to do so it was too late to change grade due to school policy (the time for change in grade has passed). I am looking at resume and I feel depressed over my GPA.

Do you think I make a big mistake or I lost an good opportunity that I will regret for the rest of my life??? consequence (Pro Vs Con as far having 4.0 GPA VS 3.92 GPA) ?? Any Thoughts or comments??

Thanks,
Sam
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: Q163 V159
GPA: 3.67
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Re: Question about GPA in Business Schools.....?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2014, 16:49
Hello Sam

What is your undergrad GPA? With respect to a business school application, a 3.92 is excellent. Sure a 4.0 would have been great, but a 3.92 will not hurt your chances in any way. It is your undergrad GPA that will matter more. a 3.92 or a 4 will not make much of a difference. Besides, several other factors go into deciding whether or not you will be selected. GMAT, work experience, leadership qualities, extracurricular activities, etc are very important. I would suggest you to focus on these areas and work towards building a stellar application.

All the best
www.InterviewBay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School

http://www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-School

Check out our free e-book How To Get Into A Top Business School here http://www.interviewbay.com/mba/how-to-get-into-a-top-business-school-ebook.php

Check out our new free e-book Top Business Schools For Different Concentrations here http://www.interviewbay.com/ebooks.php
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2014, 11:39
Hello interviewbay22,

First I wanted to ask why the undergraduate GPA is more important the Graduate GPA???

Second I wanted thank you for your reply, But actually I went to Pace University for my undergraduate degree in Accounting and graduated with a GPA of 3.38. Then I decided to do my Masters in Accounting at Iona Collage because the cost of tuition was affordable and offered me a scholarship. Although I ended up repeating most of the accounting that I toke at Pace University while doing my Master's at Iona because I missed out on the 5 year program which allowed you, to complete Bachelors and Masters in Accounting in 5 years. I though working with the top accounting firms was more important after graduating with a bachelor degree. (Note: I did find out if you graduate with an accounting degree and for some reason you want do your master in accounting almost any university or college will make you repeat some of the course that you toke during your undergraduate year in accounting that would include most of the well known university, for example NYU, Fordham, and etc...)

While doing my Master I decided to leave my one of the Top Accounting Firms (worked Full-Time) and work Part-Time as a Tax Accountant. Hence, it would allow me to concentrate more on my school study and hope to obtain a 4.0 GPA.

I am so upset because I received a B in one of the easy course compare to the most difficult accounting course I have taken which I obtained all A's on them. Obviously there must be a good for graduate students to compete in the top 10 graduate student in the school, which until now I do not know what is the benefit behind it, but must be some good reason for doing so. (Note: I did ask my dean to retake the course to obtain an A, but he thought I was bit crazy for doing that. Not sure if he was trying to help me or pretending to help me). I feel I lost a good opportunity to be something great.

Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciate it ??

Thanks,
Sam
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2014, 15:27
Any opinions would be greatly appreciate.
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: Q163 V159
GPA: 3.67
WE: Marketing (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2014, 23:35
Your undergraduate GPA is decent. together with a graduate GPA of 3.9, you will not have to worry about your GPA anymore while applying to business schools in the US.

One B grade is really not worth obsessing about. If you are serious about attending a good business school., I would suggest you to focus on your work experience. Building a good profile is very important for you at this stage.

http://www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-School

Check out our free e-book How To Get Into A Top Business School here http://www.interviewbay.com/mba/how-to-get-into-a-top-business-school-ebook.php

Check out our new free e-book Top Business Schools For Different Concentrations here http://www.interviewbay.com/ebooks.php
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2014, 11:37
skyfoxx92 wrote:
Hello Folks,

I decided to go to a well known accredit business college not university in NYC because I thought I had a good chance to obtain a 4.0 GPA in Accounting for my Master Degree and the cost of tuition is affordable. However after all the hard work, I failed to obtain an A in one of my accounting course and end up with a B (every other class I had an A grade). Due the B grade it had dropped my GPA from a 4.0 to 3.92.
I always wanted to be on stage during the graduation commencement and be one (recognized) ) of the top 10 students in the college and receive a metal for my achievement. But because of my 3.92 GPA It did not happen as I had plan to due to a professor that I will hate him for the rest of my life and did not want to change the grade and when I tried to convince the professor to do so it was too late to change grade due to school policy (the time for change in grade has passed). I am looking at resume and I feel depressed over my GPA.

Do you think I make a big mistake or I lost an good opportunity that I will regret for the rest of my life??? consequence (Pro Vs Con as far having 4.0 GPA VS 3.92 GPA) ?? Any Thoughts or comments??

Thanks,
Sam

Sam, I know it must seem like a big deal now but I wouldn't worry about the B. However, I think there is a pretty big problem here:

The problem is that you're placing so much emphasis on it. If you are really concerned about it being something you'll "regret for the rest of your life" then I would seriously consider taking a step back and re-evaluating. Business school is not be the right choice if you think this way because you're going to come up against FAR WORSE things in life than a B.

Schools don't care if you got a 4.0 or a 3.95 - they do care that you obsess over it. How do you think it will look when you interview and say your biggest regret is getting a B? That is not considered a setback to them - you risk being flagged as the candidate who is placing their worries and efforts in all the wrong places. Just think about your profile versus the candidate in Africa who has a 3.0 who has had to fight poverty, war, health issues, etc. but still has a 3.0 and dreams of business school. The admissions committee wouldn't even bat an eye - they'd take the African candidate in a heartbeat because they have endured and overcome more than someone who thinks their life is over after a single B.

So I would take some time off. Step back and obtain some perspective.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Other (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2014, 09:10
skyfoxx92 wrote:
Hello interviewbay22,

First I wanted to ask why the undergraduate GPA is more important the Graduate GPA???

Second I wanted thank you for your reply, But actually I went to Pace University for my undergraduate degree in Accounting and graduated with a GPA of 3.38. Then I decided to do my Masters in Accounting at Iona Collage because the cost of tuition was affordable and offered me a scholarship. Although I ended up repeating most of the accounting that I toke at Pace University while doing my Master's at Iona because I missed out on the 5 year program which allowed you, to complete Bachelors and Masters in Accounting in 5 years. I though working with the top accounting firms was more important after graduating with a bachelor degree. (Note: I did find out if you graduate with an accounting degree and for some reason you want do your master in accounting almost any university or college will make you repeat some of the course that you toke during your undergraduate year in accounting that would include most of the well known university, for example NYU, Fordham, and etc...)

While doing my Master I decided to leave my one of the Top Accounting Firms (worked Full-Time) and work Part-Time as a Tax Accountant. Hence, it would allow me to concentrate more on my school study and hope to obtain a 4.0 GPA.

I am so upset because I received a B in one of the easy course compare to the most difficult accounting course I have taken which I obtained all A's on them. Obviously there must be a good for graduate students to compete in the top 10 graduate student in the school, which until now I do not know what is the benefit behind it, but must be some good reason for doing so. (Note: I did ask my dean to retake the course to obtain an A, but he thought I was bit crazy for doing that. Not sure if he was trying to help me or pretending to help me). I feel I lost a good opportunity to be something great.

Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciate it ??

Thanks,
Sam

Also, graduate school grades are inflated almost everywhere. Comparing grad school GPA's to undergrad is apples to oranges.

3.38 or whatever your undergrad was is good enough(if you have some quant work, calculus, stats, etc), especially if there is an upward trend. If you're a CPA, MBA programs aren't going to have any doubts that you can handle the coursework. Get a solid GMAT and you can check the "academic" box.

You need to recognize you're part of an overrepresented group of accountants for B School. Most of which have CPA's and many of which have attended "prestigious" universities. Need to rock the GMAT but more importantly need to rock the work experience and differentiate yourself with work (or find some extracurricular activities/volunteering); need to fight the "bean counter" label as well. The further you are out of school the less GPA will matter anyways.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2015, 03:57
Great decision take by you that you had chosen accounting subject for master’s degree. I had also done masters in accounting under Dr. Aloke Ghosh from Zicklin School of Business. May be you know about this school, or you can search about this school online.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2015, 22:55
Harvard is preferable to Yale running a business, In my opinion. Although Wharton with University or college involving Missouri might be a lot better than possibly. Additionally, do not forget about a number of the really highly regarded business plans with lesser known schools like University or college involving Rochester, Babson University or college, or perhaps locations that adheres to that.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Question about GPA in Business Schools.....?   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2015, 22:55

Question about GPA in Business Schools.....?

new topic post reply Update application status