Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Schools: Tuck '17
GPA: 2.7
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Question about probability? [#permalink]
a03b wrote:
Hmm... So what about this question? Is it 1/9 or 2/9. I'm so confused.

There are 3 red, 2 white, and 5 blue marbles. If Bob takes 2 marbles out of the bag, what is the probability that he will have one white and one blue marbles?

So what's the probability that the first marble we pick is white? There are 2 white marbles among 10 total marbles, so the probability is 2/10.
After we pick out this white marble, what's the probability that the next marble we pick is blue? There are 5 blue marbles from 9 total marbles, so the probability is 5/9.

So, 2/10 x 5/9 = 1/9.

If we reverse the order of picking, and pick the blue marble first, then it becomes 5/10 x 2/9 = 1/9.

So same answer, either way.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
farful wrote:
a03b wrote:

There are 3 red, 2 white, and 5 blue marbles. If Bob takes 2 marbles out of the bag, what is the probability that he will have one white and one blue marbles?

So what's the probability that the first marble we pick is white? There are 2 white marbles among 10 total marbles, so the probability is 2/10.
After we pick out this white marble, what's the probability that the next marble we pick is blue? There are 5 blue marbles from 9 total marbles, so the probability is 5/9.

So, 2/10 x 5/9 = 1/9.

If we reverse the order of picking, and pick the blue marble first, then it becomes 5/10 x 2/9 = 1/9.

When we add, the result is 2/9 though. Right?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
a03b wrote:
farful wrote:
a03b wrote:

So, 2/10 x 5/9 = 1/9.

When we add, the result is 2/9 though. Right?

Posted from my mobile device

Sorry if I've confused you. The answer is 1/9. I only did it both ways to show that order of sequence does not matter. There's no reason to add anything.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
But there are C(10,2)=45 ways to choose 2 balls out of 10.
There are 2x5=10 desired out comes.
10/45 = 2/9 :?: I'm so confused now. If the answer to this question is 1/9, I have some really serious problems. :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
a03b wrote:
But there are C(10,2)=45 ways to choose 2 balls out of 10.
There are 2x5=10 desired out comes.
10/45 = 2/9 :?: I'm so confused now. If the answer to this question is 1/9, I have some really serious problems. :lol:

Ugh, I'm terribly sorry. You are correct, the answer should be 2/9.

We should add the 1/9 and 1/9 I got from my previous answers because there are two ways to get 1 white and 1 blue... choosing the white first then blue, or choosing the blue first then white.

I feel I may have made this whole thing more confusing for you. My apologies. :oops:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
No problem farful, thank you for your replies. Since I'm not a native speaker, now all simultaneous picking, picking in order, etc... are much more clear. Cheers. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
a03b wrote:
From a bag of 6 candies: 4 sweet, 2 sour Jack picks 2 candies simultaneously. What is the probability that first candy is sweet, second is sour?

My book says 4/6 x 2/5 = 4/15

The part I don't understand is why picking simultaneously and picking in a sequence are considered the same. There should be a difference.

Thanks for any replies.

Let me reanswer this.

The reason why they said 'simultaneously' is because they wanted you to pick one candy, then pick a second candy without putting the first candy back into the bag.

So they really want the probability of picking a sweet candy first, followed by the probability of picking a sour candy next (from the remaining 5).

If the question was: From the bag, pick two candies, what is the probability one is sweet and one is sour?
Then, the answer would be 8/15. You can get this answer either 1) via (4x2)/(2choose6) or 2) figuring out the probability of picking sweet then sour and adding that to the probability of picking sour then sweet, since there are two ways to get one sweet and one sour.

Again, sorry for any confusion.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts