Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Question about the "hard" OG 12th Edition Problems [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jppaa wrote:
Mike,
I appreciate your reply. My question centers more around wanting to understand how well I'm doing for the purpose of properly judging the difficulty of the question, rather than the quality of my preparation. I appreciate your articles and advice, any other information you can offer would be great.

If you want to judge how well you are doing on the difficult questions, where you need improvement, and what steps that might take to improve, then we get exceedingly little useful information about those important things simply from percentages and overall right/wrong ratios. The real learning for the GMAT happens at the detail level. For example, if there are questions for which you don't understand the explanation, or you don't feel confident that you will remember the explanation and be able to avoid the same mistake next time, these would be great individual posts on GC. If you see any patterns of mistakes, that also would be an excellent thing to discuss in a post. Make it your goal to milk every difficult question, all of them but especially the ones you got wrong, for every ounce of learning you could possibly squeeze out of them --- this may well involve posting each one on this forum (or finding where they are already posted) and reading what various experts have to say about them.

I would also recommend perusing our free blog ----
https://magoosh.com/gmat/
Some of the articles will cover basic stuff, but I believe, if you search through the whole blog, you will find several tips for handing tricky questions of all categories. Magoosh also has solutions for all the math & SC questions posted on Youtube --- search there.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MagooshGMAT

Also, here's a free DS question:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/984
and here's a free CR question:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3117
For each one of those, after your submit your answer, the following page will have a video explanation. Each one of our 800+ GMAT questions has its own video explanation, for accelerated learning.

I hope all this helps.

Mike :-)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64937 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
jppaa wrote:
Hey everyone,

I've been studying for the GMAT, and I noticed that the error log that GMAT Club produces for OG breaks down questions by difficulty (Easy, Medium, Hard). I've been getting around 60% correct of the "hard" questions for the verbal section, and a little closer to 70% correct for the quant section (and 80-90% for the Med-Easy sections). It would be impossible for us to apply a numeric score on these questions because they aren't computer adaptive. But, I was wondering if anyone could assess how I am doing on these "hard" questions. I'm learning form my mistakes and reading the explanations to get a better understanding of what I need to do better, but I would really appreciate any feedback or experience anyone might have. Thanks in advance for your help.

To add to what Mike said, OG questions do not reflect the actual test very well. Most of them are on the easier side in OG. There are few questions that I would call 'tough'. If you are at Q50/51, you won't make mistakes in the OG questions. If you are getting some of them wrong, it means there is some way to go (depending on the score you want). Also, OG is good for giving practice questions - the solutions it gives may not be optimum. If you are trying to learn from OG solutions, you may be short changing your preparation. Look for solutions here on the forum or ask your tutor for better explanations. Also, try to get to the root of the concept rather than focusing on 'how to solve this question'.
GMAT Club Bot