GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 21 Apr 2018, 22:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question:  The following appeared as part of an article in a magazine

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Question:  The following appeared as part of an article in a magazine  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 00:10
The above argument states that corporations should look to the city of Helios when seeking new business opportunities and is banking on three assumptions. Firstly ,the unemployment rate during recession was lower than the regional average. Secondly, Helios is the industrial centre in the region providing more manufacturing jobs than the region's share. Thirdly, it is attempting to expand its economic base by attracting more companies for r&d.

I find many flaws in the above mentioned assumptions.

To start with, the argument is comparing the unemployment rate with the business opportunities and, has not explicitly mentioned the unemployment rate in comparison to other locations in the region. It might be true that the unemployment rate would be very high, but less in comparison to other locations.

Furthermore, Helios ,as industrial region, has provided manufacturing jobs,but doesn't conclude that it will provide new business opportunities. There might be a case that the business is not of manufacturing at all and Helios being an industrial region has nothing new to offer.

Moreover, it's claim that it is attracting companies focusing on research and development of innovative technology,and that  doesn't show that it is a good location for new business, which might not be focusing on r&d.

To conclude ,I feel that the line of reasoning used to arrive at the above conclusion has a lot of flaws, and can be strengthened by providing a bit more information explicitly.

Can anyone just check my writing assignment . Feedbacks are welcome and please rate it on a scale of 6

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Re: Question:  The following appeared as part of an article in a magazine  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 00:11
Question:  The following appeared as part of an article in a magazine devoted to regional
life.
“Corporations should look to the city of Helios when seeking new business
opportunities or a new location. Even in the recent recession, Helios’s
unemployment rate was lower than the regional average. It is the industrial center
of the region, and historically it has provided more than its share of the region’s
manufacturing jobs. In addition, Helios is attempting to expand its economic base
by attracting companies that focus on research and development of innovative
technologies.”
here is the full question thanks in advance

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: Question:  The following appeared as part of an article in a magazine   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2017, 00:11

Question:  The following appeared as part of an article in a magazine

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap