Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Send PM
Re: Quitting the job - resignation letters [#permalink]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Isa, it really depends on the company. In the US, you could start with talking to your direct managers and She/He will tell you what is expected. At my firm, I would ask people for a 2 lines email to HR with me cc-ed. Very simple. If you are in Europe, it is usually more formal and would require a proper letter.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Media/Entertainment
Schools:Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Resignation letter is for HR purpose only.

It can be short.

Just include:

1) Effective Resignation date
2) Reason for resignation
3) And little message offering to stay on and help out

It can be just a paragraph.

P.S. - I work in an industry where people quit jobs more in their lifetime than they go see their doctors. :-D It's always short.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Schools:HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)
Send PM
Kudos
I would keep it very factual and objective, and maybe only 1-2 sentences. Include your intended final date of work and that's it.

A lawyer friend of mine told me never to include anything positive about your experience at the job (e.g. 'it's been a pleasure working here' or 'I've learned a lot from this experience'). If you ever need to bring the company to court for any reason, this can be used against you.

In my last job, I wrote a one-sentence letter. I scheduled a meeting with my boss and handed it to him. Then, I gave him a verbal explanation of why I was leaving and the things I appreciated most about my experience there. Use your exit interview to express anything they need to improve, but make sure never to burn bridges. In fact, maybe don't say anything negative at the exit interview. There's no benefit to you in doing so.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Media/Entertainment
Schools:Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
 Q49  V40
Send PM
BigBad wrote:
A lawyer friend of mine told me never to include anything positive about your experience at the job (e.g. 'it's been a pleasure working here' or 'I've learned a lot from this experience'). If you ever need to bring the company to court for any reason, this can be used against you.

Wow, you don't mess around, do you? :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Schools:HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)
Send PM
BearStearner wrote:
Wow, you don't mess around, do you? :-D

This is why I'm the BigBad... :twisted:

(caveat: at my last job I worked with a whole bunch of really paranoid lawyers)
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks for your feedback!

At my company the process is:
- meeting with manager where you express intent to resign and reasons why
- email stating intent delivered to HR/manager/senior manager by EOD of the same day as the meeting
- 4 weeks later (yes we require 4 weeks notice), on the last day at work: exit interviews w/ HR and senior management

If anyone else has other suggestions/considerations, let me know!

Will keep you posted on how it goes :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Send PM
Good luck with it !

Ive only had to do a formal letter once before, at my old job. I did what you did; Googled for some samples, chose one and ran with it. I kept it very brief, and didnt include any details of why I was leaving, or where I was going. I did disclose those items verbally during an informal exit interview.

Once I had crafted my letter, I booked a meeting with my manager and presented it with her when we met. Nothing more formal than that; she took care of all the HR stuff, and I made sure to tie up my loose ends with HR for benefits, etc.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
My resignation letter will consist of three words.

PEACE OUT, &*!$@ES!!!!

... more or less. Actually, standard practice for us is letting your supervisor know (at least two weeks beforehand, preferably a little more) and then, depending on how well-liked you are, either sending a friendly email to the office saying goodbye or... not. We're much less formal than a law or bank office, of course, but just use your common sense. And don't burn any bridges (unless it's totally worth it).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Isa - the process at my firm is pretty similar except we only require 2 weeks formal notice. Usually people will have discussions with their managers/partners earlier than that, then formally give a formal letter 2 weeks before they intend to leave.

My boss already knows why I chose to go to bschool, and that I'll be leaving 'around the end of June', so once we find a replacement for my role and agree on an actual last day I was planning to just give him a 1-2 sentence letter that basically says I'm resigning effective June/July XX, 2009 in order to enroll in bschool.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
BigBad wrote:
I would keep it very factual and objective, and maybe only 1-2 sentences. Include your intended final date of work and that's it.

Notes taken. I think BigBad gave a good advice here. You can thank/appreciate them verbally, just don't put them in the paper. Schedule a meeting with you boss and talk to him about your plan, and bring up the letter merely as a formality.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Schools: Cranfield SOM
 Q46  V40
Send PM
Mine is a simple enough process - Go into the company HR system - click on resign and fill in the reason and effective date.

Waiting till june when I plan to submit is going to be the bigger problem :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
You guys might want to check and see if your company has something called "academic leave".

A friend who is heading to medical school informed me that our company offers academic leave for periods up to one year (can be extended on a case by case basis) The leave includes 6 months of continuing benefits, including health insurance, at employee rates. Plus, if you come back, you retain your years of service.

I highly doubt that I'll be returning to my current employer, but the health insurance should save me close to $1000.

RF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Wow what industry do you work at it seems way to formal. Very process oriented company

isa wrote:
Thanks for your feedback!

At my company the process is:
- meeting with manager where you express intent to resign and reasons why
- email stating intent delivered to HR/manager/senior manager by EOD of the same day as the meeting
- 4 weeks later (yes we require 4 weeks notice), on the last day at work: exit interviews w/ HR and senior management

If anyone else has other suggestions/considerations, let me know!

Will keep you posted on how it goes :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS(08) - Ding. HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Tuck, Stern, all dings. Yale - Withdrew App. Emory Executive -- Accepted, Matriculated, Withdrewed (yes, I spelled it wrong on purpose). ROSS -- GO BLUE 2011.
Send PM
Quick note about my gig -- you can give 2 weeks notice -- however, you can't get payout for vacation days without 4 weeks written notice. Lots of people have gotten bit by that.

I'm leaving in August. I told them in Feb. :) Of course, my boss was one of my recommenders, so that made it a straight forward process.
Current Student
Send PM
I handed in the resignation on Friday. Here is the gist of the letter I ended up using:

"Hi Steve,

This is to inform you that I am resigning from X, effective March 20, 2009. Per company policy, this is a one (1) month notice.

I will be going to grad school at XYZ in the fall for my MBA and plan to graduate in 2011. I am looking forward to school and the challenges that await me!

I would like my last day to be April 24th.

If I can be of any assistance during this transition, please let me know!

Thanks,"

I plan to follow this up with personalized thank-you emails/letters to my managers, etc once I get closer to the actual quit date.

Thanks for all your help!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
isa wrote:
I handed in the resignation on Friday. Here is the gist of the letter I ended up using:

"Hi Steve,

This is to inform you that I am resigning from X, effective March 20, 2009. Per company policy, this is a one (1) month notice.

I will be going to grad school at XYZ in the fall for my MBA and plan to graduate in 2011. I am looking forward to school and the challenges that await me!

I would like my last day to be April 24th.

If I can be of any assistance during this transition, please let me know!

Thanks,"

I plan to follow this up with personalized thank-you emails/letters to my managers, etc once I get closer to the actual quit date.

Thanks for all your help!

Shouldn't the effective date of your resignation be the same as your last day?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2