Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 11:10 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29981 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Re-attempt after 420 ?? [#permalink]
no i have not taken any mock , as i have just one official mock left so i have kept it if in case i go for a re-take.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29981 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Lakshaygmat wrote:
no i have not taken any mock , as i have just one official mock left so i have kept it if in case i go for a re-take.

I think buying one or two official practice tests would be a good investment. They'll give you a reasonably accurate indication of whether you're adequately prepared for your retake.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Lakshaygmat,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How many hours did you typically study each week?
2) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) What specific application deadlines are you facing?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Lakshaygmat,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How many hours did you typically study each week?
2) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) What specific application deadlines are you facing?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Hi,
Thanks for such an informative reply.
As per your questions would like to inform you that
1) i studied almost 20 hours per week.
2) I took all the Mocks/Cats within 15 days before the exam
3) I am targeting for canadian bschools
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Expert Reply
Lakshaygmat wrote:
Hi,
I started preparing for GMAT about 2 months ago with my exam scheduled yesterday, I completed Quant part of OG and partially (about half ) of quant and verbal from magoosh. with about 10 days before my exam i gave my official mocks and magoosh practice tests , i got a score of about 560 on an average . i was aiming for anything around 620 and studied for the remaining days with the same objective. i was regularly giving sectionals to keep up with speed part. But yesterday after the GMAT i was just able to score 420 and now i am clueless what shall i do. As i am planning for Canadian bschools , please suggest me what is the best way to tackle this situation and will it be too late if i re-attempt in October keeping in mind the application deadlines or shall i give up on gmat.

It is necessary to complete the curriculum of atleast one test prep company (the concepts part). It is not enough to do it partly. Gmat has a heavy penalty for missing easy questions so we should ensure that we are able to tackle easy questions of every topic. So the basics of every topic must be covered even if advanced applications are ignored. That itself will lead to a score of 600+.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Dear Aarya20,
I also used some materials and video lessons, but such approach did not bring me the visible result. The issue is that reading the materials and learn from them are two different things.
I concur with KarishmaB, there are abundance of platforms that provide quant and verbal course, and reviews most of them are presented here. I would suggest to take TTP course, because its well organized study plan and unique approach already have helped me to ameliorate my Quant score.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Lakshaygmat,

So, the main issue I'm seeing is that on your practice exams you were scoring an average of 560 but were then shooting for 620 on the actual test. So, I don't think you should give up on the GMAT but rather you need to think about pushing to a later deadline. The fact is you may need another 2 to 3 months of prep to hit your score goal.
GMAT Club Bot