Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: Received 710 - 45V/43Q: Quant Too Low? [#permalink]
710 is a great score and I won't suggest you to retake..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
I think you guys are a bit quick here. There are some questions to ask yourself:

1. What schools are you shooting for?
2. Are you in a profession that shows a good grasp of quantitative skills? Did you do an undergrad degree in something that shows a good grasp of those skills?
3. Do you think with review you could up your quant score?

The first question is obvious, but worth stating: if you're not looking to go to the very top schools, your score, including your quant is perfectly fine.

The second is less so. If you were an art history major who went on to work at a museum, I think it would be a mistake to simply dismiss this as "oh, well he got a 700+, he shouldn't retake." But if you use math regularly or you've done well in math type classes before, I wouldn't worry too much about it -- your time is better spent writing good essays.

The third is also pretty obvious. If you're unlikely to improve your quant more than a couple points even after study, don't bother.

Originally posted by Jeanette on 14 Sep 2010, 08:13.
Last edited by Jeanette on 14 Sep 2010, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
1. I am shooting for the best. At this point, since I will be paying for it myself, I want to go to top 5.
2. I work in finance and deal with numbers (real ones, not x, z, q, p, haha) everyday. I am an analyst in Private Wealth Management. My undergrad degree was in political science and history and did not really take any quant courses so that hurts.
3. I think I could get it up to about the 70th percentile, but probably not much higher.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
artkin76 wrote:
1. I am shooting for the best. At this point, since I will be paying for it myself, I want to go to top 5.
2. I work in finance and deal with numbers (real ones, not x, z, q, p, haha) everyday. I am an analyst in Private Wealth Management. My undergrad degree was in political science and history and did not really take any quant courses so that hurts.
3. I think I could get it up to about the 70th percentile, but probably not much higher.

Then don't retake. It's probably a slight negative to your application, but who doesn't have a negative somewhere? You work with numbers regularly, and that should dispel any worries about not being able to handle the courses.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the input Jeanette, it is much appreciated. I am also considering taking CFA Level 1 before applying (I am not applying this round - got to save up some more money). It meshes with what I am doing currently for work and I am guessing it will help assuage any fears about my quant capabilities. Do you think something like that would help?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
artkin76 wrote:
Thanks for the input Jeanette, it is much appreciated. I am also considering taking CFA Level 1 before applying (I am not applying this round - got to save up some more money). It meshes with what I am doing currently for work and I am guessing it will help assuage any fears about my quant capabilities. Do you think something like that would help?

Can't hurt, especially if you're doing it for a work-related reason!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
I feel its a good enough score.Work on your application bro and i am sure you will reach your destination!All the best ahead.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
If I were you, I wouldnt retake. 710 is good enough. I would rather work on my essays !

All the best :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Send PM
Yes, working on essays is better option than retaking GMAT, 710 is a good score!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
700+, you are fine. Essays time, I'm sure you will be fine though!

-Dawg
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
i wouldn't suggest a re-take.time to focus on applications ,ur 700+ score places u in a safe zone.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
although your quant is low but it is passable. Your verbal is very strong and it is probably a breath of fresh air compared to many others with high quant and lower verbal. If you only want to retake to justify you can do better at quant i am not sure that is good idea unless you want to get 760 or so because of other legitimate reasons (low gpa, top 5 etc.). 710 is very competitive
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management and Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Send PM
Jeanette wrote:
artkin76 wrote:

Then don't retake. It's probably a slight negative to your application, but who doesn't have a negative somewhere? You work with numbers regularly, and that should dispel any worries about not being able to handle the courses.

In full agreement with jeanette

710 is fine ...just work towards your essays

best of luck for your apps and CFA!!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:INSEAD R2 (admitted)
 Q36  V42 GMAT 2: 690  Q43  V41
Send PM
Kudos
We're sort of in the same boat - although you got the verbal score I thought I would get (instead of the 41 I did get...sigh). I'm going with my 690 because the highest I got in practice in quant was 44, which isn't a big enough jump to warrant taking it again, and I don't have another year to play with. I'm going to talk up my math abilities as much as possible. Let us know how it goes!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts