GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Jan 2019, 21:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

January 15, 2019

January 15, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Recommend

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Recommend  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 09:54
Hi guys, I'm practicing with verbal section. Especially in these last days I'm facing some critical reasoning questions, as with sentence correction I'm almost done and I dont see any drastic improvement. I wanted to ask one thing. I've noticed that in the set 700-level critical-reasoning questions (here on gmat club available questions) i costantly get a 50% hit rate, is it a positive thing for someone that is aiming at about 680+? For example today i did 34 critical reasoning questions, and 17 were right and the other 17 were wrong. This is because i personally find really hard some questions that appear, for example those in which 70% of people that practice here like me get wrong, but there are also some questions in which 80-85% of people fail. Are these last questions i mentioned upper the 700 level? For example like 750 or even more? So, do you think that a hit rate of 50% in these set of questions is enough? If i try those in the 600-level set my hit rate is like 85% or more. I dont know exactly, but it is of course higher. My aim is to reach at least 680, but if i get a 700 is better. I ask this even because i notice that some people that reached the 700+ sometimes fail the 700 questions as well.

thanks if you will help me
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Recommend  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 13:13
matt966 wrote:
Hi guys, I'm practicing with verbal section. Especially in these last days I'm facing some critical reasoning questions, as with sentence correction I'm almost done and I dont see any drastic improvement. I wanted to ask one thing. I've noticed that in the set 700-level critical-reasoning questions (here on gmat club available questions) i costantly get a 50% hit rate, is it a positive thing for someone that is aiming at about 680+? For example today i did 34 critical reasoning questions, and 17 were right and the other 17 were wrong. This is because i personally find really hard some questions that appear, for example those in which 70% of people that practice here like me get wrong, but there are also some questions in which 80-85% of people fail. Are these last questions i mentioned upper the 700 level? For example like 750 or even more? So, do you think that a hit rate of 50% in these set of questions is enough? If i try those in the 600-level set my hit rate is like 85% or more. I dont know exactly, but it is of course higher. My aim is to reach at least 680, but if i get a 700 is better. I ask this even because i notice that some people that reached the 700+ sometimes fail the 700 questions as well.

Getting 50% of questions correct at a 700+ difficulty level is totally reasonable. Assuming that you take the test 'correctly' (finish both sections within the time limit, don't spend too much time on any particular type of question, avoid careless mistakes), you'll probably get 50-70% of the questions at 'your level' correct. Generally, if a student tells me that they're getting half to 2/3 of the questions right at a certain level, I see that as a reasonable difficulty level for them to study at. (If you're getting no questions right, you're doing problems that are much too hard!)

That said, your question about high vs low 700 level questions can't really be answered. Describing a question as "700 level" or "750 level" makes it easier to talk about certain ideas. However, that's not really how questions are evaluated on the actual test. A question doesn't have an exact difficulty level; instead, it has a curve. The curve tells the algorithm how many people get that question right, and what those people end up scoring on the entire test. (For instance, it's possible that 45% of 46Q students get a certain question right, and 80% of 48Q students get the same question right.) That makes it difficult to pin down a question to a very specific difficulty level.

That's doubly true because your own strengths and weaknesses won't line up perfectly with what the GMAT thinks is hard and easy, and your test strategy should be based mostly on what's hard or easy for you.

In short, don't worry too much about very fine distinctions in difficulty level! It sounds like you're studying the right material (although you should probably do some easier problems as well).

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Seattle and Online

My latest GMAT blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 18:40
Hi matt966,

The only practical way to measure your overall GMAT skills - and have a reasonable shot at defining your current 'score level' - is to take a FULL-LENGTH CAT/mock and take it in a realistic fashion (re: take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Before we can discuss how best to continue your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) What is your exact Test Date?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 19:40
matt966 wrote:

You've received some good advice: don't worry too much about how tough your practice questions are! Work through them, and most importantly, learn from them. Use the GMATPrep tests to check your progress.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 16:44
Hi matt966,

I understand that you may be concerned regarding your recent performance on verbal practice questions; however, I agree that your next step needs to be to take an official MBA.com practice exam, so we can see your most updated GMAT score. Once you take that test, please report back here, and we can determine what exactly is going on with your verbal score.

Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 03:56
matt966 wrote:

Don't let that demotivate you. When practicing, I never segregate questions on the basis of their level. I practice from a mixed pool of questions and then in the end try to look at the areas where I'm performing poorly. A lot of time it happens so that I'm scoring well on the hard questions but performing poorly on the easy questions. A question which is harder for someone else might be easy for you and vice-versa. When you segregate the questions before hand, then you have a preconcieved notion about that.

This was just a personal opinion. Others have already given you good advice. Good Luck! :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Recommend &nbs [#permalink] 17 Dec 2018, 03:56

Recommend

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap