Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
The issue is really that a lot of recommenders take one look at what is required and then ask you to write it for them. I couldn't get a rec from everyone I would have liked precisely because of this. But yes its for real. Heck I even know people who wrote their recs and submitted them for their boss ..

Its unethical yes but I can also appreciate that some people are essentially forced to do this due to lazy or overburnded bosses .

The best option is to push back or as I did ... Just find someone else to do it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
EconGirl wrote:
Is this for real???? I have such hard time selling myself in my essays, I can't even imagine writing how great I am and then asking my boss to sign it. Not to metion that regardless of what anyone says, I consider this practice entirelly unethical and see it as unfair to the more humble applicants who trust that their work performance would have motivate their suprvisors to write a great letter themselves. And if it didn't, then perhaps you simply don't deserve it

Majority of the NON-US applicants write their own recos .. know few of my friends at elite/ultra-elite who wrote their own recos/approached friends to write them

Why do u think..all the admission consultants have Recommendation letter service...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
wow, this is a shock to me.

A notorized translation (with the original) is supposed to be sent if a supervisor does not speak english. I really doubt that schools would be understanding if they know of a candidate who decided to glorify himself and write his own LOR, no matter what the circumstances.

a similar question happened on wharton's discussion board:

If the recommendee does not speak English, which
format should take the recommendation letter while
submiting online. Is there any option for submitting
both original text and translated version (with
official verification of course) online? Submitting
online is much more convenient especially in the
contrary to the mail coming from Tajikistan (which
might also get lost)

Options Reply

I hear your concern about the speed of the post.

Your recommender could paste the translated text into Q1 in the online rec. I don't think the online rec supports non-Roman script (OK, I have no idea what script is used in Tajikistan) and then send the hard copies (both the original and the notarized translation) in by post. You probably should include a brief note in the optional essay as to what you have done (so that they can match up the materials when they are received).

As long as adcom receive an English rec by the deadline (in this case via the online rec), they will be able to review your application, even if the hard copies arrive after the deadline.

FF
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]