GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

REDEFINE MY STUDY PLAN/STRATEGY - 610 home, 540 on real exam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Quant   Verbal   

Intern
Intern
REDEFINE MY STUDY PLAN/STRATEGY - 610 home, 540 on real exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 07:28
Hi everybody.

I am here to ask your kind advice on how to define my strategy to retake GMAT.

My target score is 600. In a month of intense study I had improved from 480 to 610. My exam went bad (540, 29 on verbal and 35 on quant).
In my preparation, I have not struggled that much with verbal, that was stable within the range of 29-33, and I have focused most of my energy on quant, where I was really weak.

To address quant, firstly I have studied the Kaplan general strategy book, then I have supported it with Manhattan series on almost every area (the Geometry book was the only one I haven't bought). I have practised on the Kaplan math workbook and with the question bank of both Kaplan and Manhattan. However, I found difficulties when addressing the Official Guide set, and I also admit to have done the mistake of not focusing enough on real questions. I have mostly covered my weak areas basing on the real tests suggested by Manhattan and completed the quant review.

In my three simulations I started from 610 (kaplan), 43 for quant and 29 for verbal (needless to say how happy I was), 510 on the GMAC one (that was tough), with verbal 29 and quant 33. Final simulation 40 quant - 33 at verbal. My huge discrepancy in the score is due to my inconsistent quant results, which have also been heavily penalised by a weak time management at the exam.

NOW. I don't really know where to start from.

For the quant part:

1st question: it is worth to buy the geometry guide of Manhattan series?
2nd question: I am still weak on converting rates,
percentages (not worked enough on it). Besides the resources I have already mentioned, may you suggest further ones? I have also found Kaplan geometry workbook part quite distant from real questions, but maybe I am wrong.
3rd and most important: Which method do you suggest to handle this part? To take a diagnostic/simulation (which one between Kaplan or the Manhattan CAT of the official one on GMAT official guide for review, or another official simulation) study again, and then focusing on real questions?
Furtherly, I never focused on "hard" questions. Should I do it for my target score?

For what concerns verbal, I have worked mainly on real questions, never had too much trouble with reading comprehension, in my last simulation I made mistakes mostly on sentence correction. For critical reasoning I had no method at the beginning, and I have improved with Kaplan general strategy book and practising on real questions, but still I am not totally confident about the choices I make. I want to work on my sentence correction (looks the most manageable part) but I don't know how and I feel that improving verbal may be even more difficult than consolidating quant.

Considering that I don't have much time, what would you suggest?
To feel stronger on quant or trying to raise my verbal? I know I should focus on both, but I need to prioritize.

Thank you a lot for your time.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: REDEFINE MY STUDY PLAN/STRATEGY - 610 home, 540 on real exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 03:13

Hi there,

To be honest, there could be several reasons why you scored low on the real exam. For one, you may have not taken your practice tests in ideal test conditions, or your strategies of attacking individual question could be weak. You may have pacing issues as well. Please order your ESR and check what you did wrong on the actual test.

Anyway, I feel you will go better if you enroll to an online course rather than do self study over a period of time. Personally, I improved my score tremendously after taking the EMPOWERgmat online course. The Quant strategies are strong and the course just gives you the best framework for solving both CR and RC questions; the course absolutely catapulted by CR score, and I ended up scoring 97 percentile in CR on the actual GMAT. Had I performed better on SC (apparently my strongest section), I would have comfortably scored a V40.

Read the below debrief to know about the challenges test takers faced; you will find several such positive feedback about the course.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/four-years-t ... 40262.html

You should write to Rich and his team at EMPOWERgmat if you want to know more details.
EMPOWERgmatRichC
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 04:21
Thank you, I did not even know about the ESR. You're right on my pace issues, I ended not having enough time for the final 3/4 questions on both sections. And also for my similation conditions, in the last one I took a longer break after the first pause.
I'll definitely check this course. Thank you a lot.

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 11:07
desp wrote:
Hi everybody.

I am here to ask your kind advice on how to define my strategy to retake GMAT.

My target score is 600. In a month of intense study I had improved from 480 to 610. My exam went bad (540, 29 on verbal and 35 on quant).
In my preparation, I have not struggled that much with verbal, that was stable within the range of 29-33, and I have focused most of my energy on quant, where I was really weak.

To address quant, firstly I have studied the Kaplan general strategy book, then I have supported it with Manhattan series on almost every area (the Geometry book was the only one I haven't bought). I have practised on the Kaplan math workbook and with the question bank of both Kaplan and Manhattan. However, I found difficulties when addressing the Official Guide set, and I also admit to have done the mistake of not focusing enough on real questions. I have mostly covered my weak areas basing on the real tests suggested by Manhattan and completed the quant review.

In my three simulations I started from 610 (kaplan), 43 for quant and 29 for verbal (needless to say how happy I was), 510 on the GMAC one (that was tough), with verbal 29 and quant 33. Final simulation 40 quant - 33 at verbal. My huge discrepancy in the score is due to my inconsistent quant results, which have also been heavily penalised by a weak time management at the exam.

NOW. I don't really know where to start from.

For the quant part:

1st question: it is worth to buy the geometry guide of Manhattan series?
2nd question: I am still weak on converting rates,
percentages (not worked enough on it). Besides the resources I have already mentioned, may you suggest further ones? I have also found Kaplan geometry workbook part quite distant from real questions, but maybe I am wrong.
3rd and most important: Which method do you suggest to handle this part? To take a diagnostic/simulation (which one between Kaplan or the Manhattan CAT of the official one on GMAT official guide for review, or another official simulation) study again, and then focusing on real questions?
Furtherly, I never focused on "hard" questions. Should I do it for my target score?

For what concerns verbal, I have worked mainly on real questions, never had too much trouble with reading comprehension, in my last simulation I made mistakes mostly on sentence correction. For critical reasoning I had no method at the beginning, and I have improved with Kaplan general strategy book and practising on real questions, but still I am not totally confident about the choices I make. I want to work on my sentence correction (looks the most manageable part) but I don't know how and I feel that improving verbal may be even more difficult than consolidating quant.

Considering that I don't have much time, what would you suggest?
To feel stronger on quant or trying to raise my verbal? I know I should focus on both, but I need to prioritize.

Thank you a lot for your time.

Hi,

You need to be calm now. Take a deep breath & understand for GMAT you need confidence too. No matter how well you do in your CATs you have to have a relaxed mind during exam.
I admit it also needs additional practice.
To find the correct Mock Tests, Books required, Planning, and Videos on Verbal; please check my posts below.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-scor ... l#p2204721

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-strateg ... l#p2205292

Prepare Well, Have Patience.!
Re: REDEFINE MY STUDY PLAN/STRATEGY - 610 home, 540 on real exam   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2019, 11:07

REDEFINE MY STUDY PLAN/STRATEGY - 610 home, 540 on real exam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics