GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 09:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ref Material for Quant and Verbal

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 289
ref Material for Quant and Verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 09:29
Hi,
I have been practicing for GMAT for quite some time now, but my scores are in the range of 45-49 in quant and 28-34 in verbal. However, I wanted to take these scores to the level of 51 in quant and 40 in verbal but i feel OG is not sufficient for these levels. Can some let me know that what kind of ref study material I should use for quant and verbal to reach to these scores?
If any of you have any ref study material then pl mail me on vivek.tripathi78@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 511
Schools: Wharton
Re: ref Material for Quant and Verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 10:00
vivektripathi wrote:
Hi,
I have been practicing for GMAT for quite some time now, but my scores are in the range of 45-49 in quant and 28-34 in verbal. However, I wanted to take these scores to the level of 51 in quant and 40 in verbal but i feel OG is not sufficient for these levels. Can some let me know that what kind of ref study material I should use for quant and verbal to reach to these scores?
If any of you have any ref study material then pl mail me on vivek.tripathi78@gmail.com

Thanks in advance


I think if you're scoring b/w 45-49 on quant, you're probably not ready to move up to 51. 51 is really, really difficult to achieve. A lot of the quant gurus on here aren't even getting 51 on the real thing. I would focus on consistently scoring 49 first. Then try to bump yourself up to consistently 50. Once you're there, then you can try for 51, though I'm not even sure it's worth it...

To do this -- MGMAT and focus on minimizing mistakes. if your scores have that much deviation, it probably means you're making a lot of careless mistakes and you need to concentrate on getting all the basics down. MGMAT books will help.

For verbal, again focus on consistency. If your scores are fluctuating that much, you're nowhere near ready to improve your score. Just focus on scoring consistently on the high end of your range first. Then try to improve your score.

SC - MGMAT should give you all you need.
RC - Read proper English and understand (WSJ, Economist, NYTimes, etc.)
CR - PowerScore GMAT CR Bible
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1004
Re: ref Material for Quant and Verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 10:29
zoinnk wrote:
I think if you're scoring b/w 45-49 on quant, you're probably not ready to move up to 51. 51 is really, really difficult to achieve. A lot of the quant gurus on here aren't even getting 51 on the real thing. I would focus on consistently scoring 49 first. Then try to bump yourself up to consistently 50. Once you're there, then you can try for 51, though I'm not even sure it's worth it...

To do this -- MGMAT and focus on minimizing mistakes. if your scores have that much deviation, it probably means you're making a lot of careless mistakes and you need to concentrate on getting all the basics down. MGMAT books will help.

For verbal, again focus on consistency. If your scores are fluctuating that much, you're nowhere near ready to improve your score. Just focus on scoring consistently on the high end of your range first. Then try to improve your score.

SC - MGMAT should give you all you need.
RC - Read proper English and understand (WSJ, Economist, NYTimes, etc.)
CR - PowerScore GMAT CR Bible


Great advice zoinnk. What do you suggest for people scoring on the lower 40-levels with test date approaching soon :(
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 511
Schools: Wharton
Re: ref Material for Quant and Verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 10:36
amitdgr wrote:
zoinnk wrote:
I think if you're scoring b/w 45-49 on quant, you're probably not ready to move up to 51. 51 is really, really difficult to achieve. A lot of the quant gurus on here aren't even getting 51 on the real thing. I would focus on consistently scoring 49 first. Then try to bump yourself up to consistently 50. Once you're there, then you can try for 51, though I'm not even sure it's worth it...

To do this -- MGMAT and focus on minimizing mistakes. if your scores have that much deviation, it probably means you're making a lot of careless mistakes and you need to concentrate on getting all the basics down. MGMAT books will help.

For verbal, again focus on consistency. If your scores are fluctuating that much, you're nowhere near ready to improve your score. Just focus on scoring consistently on the high end of your range first. Then try to improve your score.

SC - MGMAT should give you all you need.
RC - Read proper English and understand (WSJ, Economist, NYTimes, etc.)
CR - PowerScore GMAT CR Bible


Great advice zoinnk. What do you suggest for people scoring on the lower 40-levels with test date approaching soon :(


How much time do you have and what's your target score?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1004
Re: ref Material for Quant and Verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 10:49
zoinnk wrote:
How much time do you have and what's your target score?


20 days. I want to score at least 47; of course the more the better
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 511
Schools: Wharton
Re: ref Material for Quant and Verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 10:54
1
amitdgr wrote:
zoinnk wrote:
How much time do you have and what's your target score?


20 days. I want to score at least 47; of course the more the better


Getting 47 is all about getting the basics down. Go through the MGMAT books and understand every concept and how to use them in a variety of circumstances.

Not to freak you out, but if you're in the low 40s (41-43), it may be difficult to raise your score to 47 really quickly. It can be done, though, if you focus all your efforts on GMAT.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1004
Re: ref Material for Quant and Verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 11:03
zoinnk wrote:

Not to freak you out, but if you're in the low 40s (41-43), it may be difficult to raise your score to 47 really quickly. It can be done, though, if you focus all your efforts on GMAT.


I will do my best zoinnk :) Thanks for your advice, it made me understand what I am up against :)

One more question, do the GmatClub tests help people on lower 40s ? I hear they are good for high scorers who want to score higher !!

Thanks :)
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 511
Schools: Wharton
Re: ref Material for Quant and Verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 12:00
1
amitdgr wrote:
zoinnk wrote:

Not to freak you out, but if you're in the low 40s (41-43), it may be difficult to raise your score to 47 really quickly. It can be done, though, if you focus all your efforts on GMAT.


I will do my best zoinnk :) Thanks for your advice, it made me understand what I am up against :)

One more question, do the GmatClub tests help people on lower 40s ? I hear they are good for high scorers who want to score higher !!

Thanks :)


I think it's probably not worth it, honestly. Focus on the gaps in your skills first. The gmatclub tests are more for advanced concepts and tricks.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1004
Re: ref Material for Quant and Verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 19:12
zoinnk wrote:

I think it's probably not worth it, honestly. Focus on the gaps in your skills first. The gmatclub tests are more for advanced concepts and tricks.


Thanks zoinnk :) +2

--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Re: ref Material for Quant and Verbal &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2008, 19:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

ref Material for Quant and Verbal

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: chetan2u

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.