It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 13:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rejecting schools twice.. ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Rejecting schools twice.. ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2009, 21:41
Apply or not?

So here's the situation:
I was admitted to a couple of schools right out of undergrad..but then I decided to take a job 1st.

Now...after 1.5 years..I'm thinking of applying again next fall..including applying to other tougher schools (since I'm thinking now I'm a better candidate because I have work experience).
So I contact one of the schools again hoping that I don't need to go through the whole app process again.
The adcom person totally remembers me from my interview day.

She mentioned that now if I'm ready, I still have to reapply (because it'll be 3 years difference).. but she gave her card, wrote down my contact, told me to make a note to her and she'll be willing to waive the app fee, and try her best to make it an easier process since I'm not an unknown commodity.

my question is...should I even apply here? or just pick other safety schools?
I really like these schools.. I thought I was seriously going to one of them after undergrad.
But I was thinking it will be super duper weird if I was admitted to a better school and I have to sort of 'reject' these schools twice.
What dya guys think?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Re: Rejecting schools twice.. ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2009, 21:53
In my opinion, if you think there's a legitimate chance that you would attend-- then you should absolutely apply.

Besides, I think adcoms would be the last people to take rejection personally. After all, they reject hundreds of hopefuls and perfectly good applicants every year. When you reapply, you run the risk of getting turned down. If they extend an offer to you, then they run the risk of getting turned down.

All is fair in love and bschool applications!

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 9

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2009, 23:05
What school is it and where else do you intend to apply?

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2009, 00:40
I was admitted to UC Irvine n UC Davis (yeap I was california bias...and I figured it's hard to get into top schools without WE anyway)

But now that I have WE...I'm also looking at UCSD, Austin, Cornell, and possibly Haas and Ross.
I don't think I would go to UCD or UCI if I make it to any of these schools.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2009, 05:45
I second Mikus here. If you get through and don't want to attend I don't think anybody is gonna be worried. You are not the only person who is going to reject the school anyways. Even some really high ranked schools have a yield of only around 60% and when that happens it hardly matters if you've been in that 40% once or twice. :-)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2009, 12:48
cul3s wrote:
I was admitted to UC Irvine n UC Davis (yeap I was california bias...and I figured it's hard to get into top schools without WE anyway)

But now that I have WE...I'm also looking at UCSD, Austin, Cornell, and possibly Haas and Ross.
I don't think I would go to UCD or UCI if I make it to any of these schools.

Just my opinion, but if you were gonna go UCI, don't really go out of your way for UCSD, both actually have the same rep in So Cal, and almost no rep anywhere else.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Schools: USC (accepted), Yale (WL), NYU, Georgetown, UC Davis (w/d), UCLA (ding), Berkeley (ding)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2009, 14:43
cul3s, what are your impressions of UC Davis? I have an interview there in a few weeks for R2, but I haven't been able to find a ton of info on the school other than their website. I live on the east coast and don't know of any alumni or current students to contact. But I grew up just a few miles from Davis so I know the campus and area well. I am planning to concentrate on marketing with a technology focus.

And I wouldn't worry about rejecting them twice.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2009, 21:43
Thanks for the opinion guys.

Cez, I really like UC Davis (I went there for undergrad).. and I think it is definitely a decent school.
They are obviously one of the smaller size Mba program, and the fact that it is a small college town (you probably know already), you most likely will be able to connect well with your classmates.
It is also the best school around Sacramento area (Assuming Berkeley and Stanford people will fight over those SF and Silicon valley jobs). Sac is a big area, and a lot of good companies are there (Liberty Mutual, Intel, Accenture, etc)
I know they are finishing up a brand new building. It should be ready by this year or the next.
As a lot of the Northern Californian universities do, they have this technology management program (if tech is your thing).
I don't know much else about the current inside scoop of the MBA program.

If you want to connect with a current student or alumni you can easily contact one of their staff/adcom. They all are really nice people where you can just call up or even walk in to their office if you have any questions. I don't know if she is still here, but I remember I used to communicate with Kathy Gleed..and she was really helpful.

I hope you will have a good interview. Do they still make you do a presentation for the interview?
IF they do, don't sweat on it... There will only be like 3 people watching you..and they won't bombard you with follow up questions. Good Luck !

Intern
Intern

Schools: USC (accepted), Yale (WL), NYU, Georgetown, UC Davis (w/d), UCLA (ding), Berkeley (ding)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2009, 20:21
Thanks for the info! Yes, I have to give a presentation... yet another hoop to jump through... :-p

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2009, 21:31
IMO, The fact that UCSD's program is so new, I think UCI has a better rep. At least, it has some established recruiting pipelines. I know several UCI MBA alums at my company; it is from there and USC where my group has most of their MBAs from. Not to knock UCSD, its just that I don't think many people know it exists.

Oh, and I would say apply. There's no reason to hold it against you; you didn't do anything wrong by not choosing their school.

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Re: Rejecting schools twice.. ?   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2009, 21:31

Rejecting schools twice.. ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap