GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 14:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Relevance of MBA technical consultant in Canada

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Relevance of MBA technical consultant in Canada [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 09:27
Hello,

I have close to 9 years of experience in IT consulting. Have worked in techincal roles like Data warehousing designer, developer, data analysis and process centric roles like configuration, change and release manager. Provided for clients from Telecom, Finance and Healthcare industries.

For just over a year, I have been working as a PR in Canada. Seriously considering MBA in Canada, but a one-year program as I have family and can't afford to stay away from work for long.
I really want to do an MBA as I believe as I believe it will help me catapult myself into management roles and give me a new growth trajectory.

However, the biggest question that keeps nagging me and I have not been able to find an answer to despite having spoken to a few seniors in the industry is, how much an MBA really valued in Canada for a person with background like mine. What are the job prospects and does the IT consulting industry in Canada really respond to an MBA as I am expecting? Or it is better to go for PMP certification?

Finally, I am considering Rotman EMBA and Ivey MBA as these two are one year programs.

Thanks
Anupam

Sent from my MotoG3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Top Contributor
VP
VP
S
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: Relevance of MBA technical consultant in Canada [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 04:09
Top Contributor
Shivaaaa wrote:
Hello,

I have close to 9 years of experience in IT consulting. Have worked in techincal roles like Data warehousing designer, developer, data analysis and process centric roles like configuration, change and release manager. Provided for clients from Telecom, Finance and Healthcare industries.

For just over a year, I have been working as a PR in Canada. Seriously considering MBA in Canada, but a one-year program as I have family and can't afford to stay away from work for long.
I really want to do an MBA as I believe as I believe it will help me catapult myself into management roles and give me a new growth trajectory.

However, the biggest question that keeps nagging me and I have not been able to find an answer to despite having spoken to a few seniors in the industry is, how much an MBA really valued in Canada for a person with background like mine. What are the job prospects and does the IT consulting industry in Canada really respond to an MBA as I am expecting? Or it is better to go for PMP certification?

Finally, I am considering Rotman EMBA and Ivey MBA as these two are one year programs.

Thanks
Anupam

Hi Anupam

- IT Consulting has a fair market in Canada, but you should try and stick to the bigger cities and places of commerce (Toronto, Vancouver). An exception to this is Ivey, which has always been strong in consulting, including in IT consulting
- If you have already spent 9 years in IT consulting, the utility of an MBA with respect to a further career in the domain may be more limited than what it would be than if you say hailed from a software development background only. Different firms have a different take on this. Some value experience and domain exposure more than advanced degrees, while others (more the bigger consultants, including the strategy consulting firms) do hold some value only for MBAs/advanced degree holders.
- If you already have a good salary and good seniority then you may like to consider whether an MBA will be worth it for you. Our feeling is there is limited utility to be had here. If at all needed, you can come back for an EMBA later in your career.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 05:44
Shivaaaa wrote:
Hello,

Thanks
Anupam

Hi Anupam,

The two biggest differentiators in MBA versus Non-MBA could be:

1. an enhancement in your skill set. As mentioned above, you have a technical profile. An MBA will give you business foundations, which you will require if you wish to move into business oriented role.

2. It will help you build a Canada based network. This will be truly valuable if you want to change your career to the business side.

With 9 years of work experience, you should be applying now if MBA is on your mind.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation click here

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 09:53
Thanks for all the replies.

I would say that all through the years my role has been mostly technical. All my 9 years of experience is not consulting. It is heavier on the technical side. I am considering MBA as I want to move into a business role. The trends suggest and quite logically so...after MBA one mostly gets absorbed back into the industry he/she has worked in. Going by that I wanted to evaluate or judge how much IT industry really values an MBA degree and would it be worth investing the money, time and effort. Most seniors in my industry who I have spoken to suggest that particularly in Canada it dies not make a lot of sense because Canadian recruiters value contacts and experience and not so much a degree. They suggest talk ng PMP route and rise within the firm is a better approach.

That is why I am still confused because I always believed that a degree would provide the required exposure, network and push in the career.

Just not sure what to do

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 02:45
I think what you need is a bit of self-confidence. Go for MBA. you value your MBA first and then use the designation to sell yourself.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 23:42
can anyone help me with my dissertation on psychology?
Re: Relevance of MBA technical consultant in Canada   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2018, 23:42

Relevance of MBA technical consultant in Canada

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap