GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 12:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Request for Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 00:50
Hi Jon,

I am hoping you can evaluate my profile as I am applying to the following Business Schools this year: Columbia (ED - Re-applicant -done) NYU (R1 - done) Cornell (Nov) Duke (R2) Kellogg (R2) Emory (R2) and potentially Darden, Haas, and Tepper. I am an Indian Female, Age 26

My long term goal is to become a CSR leader in India
My short term goal is to go into Impact consulting

My stats:

GMAT: 710 (Q48,V39) (I tried to pull this up but did not succeed :()
GPA: NYU (Economics w/ minor in Business) - 3.772 (cum Laude - Highest Honors - Founder's day award + merit-based scholarship)

Work Experience - very fragmented as I did not get the H1B visa and then due to health issues and downsizing, I had to return to India last year.
Big 4 advisory in NYC - 1 year (had to leave as I did not have my H1B)
Start-up Head of Customer Success in NYC - 4 months (while taking full-time graduate courses in Finance to maintain a student visa)
Brand consultant at a Big Data SaaS Brand consulting firm in NYC - 13 months (while taking full-time graduate courses in Finance to maintain a student visa)
Had an employment gap of a year where I was sick and then conducted full-time volunteer work, opening a skills development centre for underprivileged women. This made me realize my passion for social impact and the untapped potential of CSR in India.
Joined policy advisory firm in Bangalore, consulting for state- governments and multi lateral agencies like the UN on governance issues - got promoted in 4 months - presently working here
Total work ex upon enrolling - ~4 years
Leadership experience
Head of customer success team at tech start up
Leading a team of researchers at current job
Founded organizational committee to improve research quality standards and promote innovation and current job

Other volunteer work
Been volunteering on weekends at a food drive in Bangalore since 2011 - even helped them reorganize their capital structure for financial sustainability
Been volunteering on short term initiatives at organizations like the Malala fund

College extra curricular
Vice President at AIESEC
Academic learning assistant at NYU (official college tutor) - part-time paid job

Questions: I am very nervous about my work experience and I just feel like adcoms is going to roll their eyes at my lack of consistent work experience. I have tried to explain the visa issue, health issue etc. in optional essays. But is it enough? I pushed for Kellogg because I have faith in my interview skills and I am hoping the ability to interview with my application might help advance my otherwise below-par application

Also, am I part of the Indian applicant pool bias given my non-traditional background and the fact that I did my undergrad in America?

Looking forward to hearing all your thoughts and any advice for what to play up/play down in my apps.

Thank you so much. I can't explain how helpful hearing from an expert is during an anxiety-ridden time like this
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 13:06
Hey there, first off - don't stress too much. :) It's not ideal to have a fragmented career path but you have valid reasons & that's huge. I would definitely use the optional essay to explain, which it sounds like you are planning to do already. The undergrad degree from NYU will help outweigh the GMAT, especially since you did so well there, and if you have recommenders who can vouch for your quant skills (which the adcom often looks to the GMAT to see) that will help as well. Luckily you're really not going to be lumped in with the Indian male engineer applicant pool since you are female, have a US education & come from such a non-traditional background. I think you have a shot at these schools for sure - it will depend on some strong essays to compensate for the fragmented work experience. You need to be really sure to tell your story well. I would also round out your school list & apply to some schools that are a bit easier to get into - Tepper & UNC would both be potential options (and I know you're already considering Tepper). UCLA would be another one to consider as well as UT Austin. Haas would definitely be in the reach category.

If you're considering working with a consultant at all definitely reach out to us for a free consultation. Julie Bowman in particular would be a great fit for you. She's one of our most experienced consultants & specializes both in Indian candidates as well as candidates with non-traditional backgrounds. I know she'd be able to help you figure out the best way to tell your story & a strategy for overcoming the work experience issues. Shoot Claudia a note at claudia@admissionado.com and she can set you up with a consultation with Julie or with any of our consultants. And either way - hang in there! You definitely have a shot at it even though you have some challenges to overcome.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 19:41
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there, first off - don't stress too much. :) It's not ideal to have a fragmented career path but you have valid reasons & that's huge. I would definitely use the optional essay to explain, which it sounds like you are planning to do already. The undergrad degree from NYU will help outweigh the GMAT, especially since you did so well there, and if you have recommenders who can vouch for your quant skills (which the adcom often looks to the GMAT to see) that will help as well. Luckily you're really not going to be lumped in with the Indian male engineer applicant pool since you are female, have a US education & come from such a non-traditional background. I think you have a shot at these schools for sure - it will depend on some strong essays to compensate for the fragmented work experience. You need to be really sure to tell your story well. I would also round out your school list & apply to some schools that are a bit easier to get into - Tepper & UNC would both be potential options (and I know you're already considering Tepper). UCLA would be another one to consider as well as UT Austin. Haas would definitely be in the reach category.

If you're considering working with a consultant at all definitely reach out to us for a free consultation. Julie Bowman in particular would be a great fit for you. She's one of our most experienced consultants & specializes both in Indian candidates as well as candidates with non-traditional backgrounds. I know she'd be able to help you figure out the best way to tell your story & a strategy for overcoming the work experience issues. Shoot Claudia a note at claudia@admissionado.com and she can set you up with a consultation with Julie or with any of our consultants. And either way - hang in there! You definitely have a shot at it even though you have some challenges to overcome.

Jon, thank you so much - this is exactly what I needed. I am actually working with Admssionado with Melody and have enjoyed it. I am working on my other apps with her now and i just needed another opinion on my profile but maybe I can ask Claudia if Julie has any thoughts on my profile. Your point about my quantitative skills got me thinking, do you think I should highlight all the quant classes I took at the undergrad level, including finance and accounting classes, most of which I got an A or A- in? Is Q48 seen as a low quant score?

I just got rejected for Columbia and I am trying to do a post mortem on my application to better position myself for Cornell, Duke, Kellogg etc.

Also, my last question: can you speak to how much the Kellogg interview can help to compensate for other parts of my application?

Again, thanks a lot!
Admissionado
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 20:02
Awesome! You are in excellent hands with Melody! She is great.

I would not bother highlighting the quant courses - you don't want to sound like you're making excuses for or trying to defend your GMAT. That will only draw more attention to it & the truth is it's a solid score. But while Q48 is a totally solid quant score, it will still help to have your recommenders to speak to your quant skills if possible since your GMAT is a bit lower than you'd ideally like it to be.

And the interview at Kellogg can definitely help compensate for other parts of your application. The interview matters at any school but Kellogg places so much emphasis on cultural fit in particular & the interview is a great place to show your fit.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 20:13
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Awesome! You are in excellent hands with Melody! She is great.

I would not bother highlighting the quant courses - you don't want to sound like you're making excuses for or trying to defend your GMAT. That will only draw more attention to it & the truth is it's a solid score. But while Q48 is a totally solid quant score, it will still help to have your recommenders to speak to your quant skills if possible since your GMAT is a bit lower than you'd ideally like it to be.

And the interview at Kellogg can definitely help compensate for other parts of your application. The interview matters at any school but Kellogg places so much emphasis on cultural fit in particular & the interview is a great place to show your fit.

I will ask my recommenders (at least one) to speak to my quant skills. I can get two beaming recommendations from my current employer but i understand its better for me to get one great one from my current employer and one good one from my ex employer, just for diversity sake. Given that I am in frequent touch with my current employer, I will speak to him about the quant skills.

Great. Thank you so very much Jon. If I have more questions, I may come back to you but for now, thank you.
Admissionado
P

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 18:14
Happy to help! :) And like I said, you are totally in great hands with Melody! She is one of the best. But also happy to help if you have another question for me down the road. Good luck to you!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

Request for Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap