Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:55 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation( Military Background) [#permalink]
Very strong scores and brands; perhaps misaligned shortlist of schools; most challenging question for you to be prepared for will be "why MBA now?"
Though I myself believe that there is no right age for education, the schools don't think in those terms (sadly) as they run a business. Any slightest of concerns about your employability post MBA, and your profile is out of contention. Hence, school selection is the second most important question. Look at MSx, MIT SF and LBS SF.
Just my two pence worth.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
manishtiger wrote:
Hi! I'm planning to apply in round 1, 2023 for admission in 2024.

Personal Background:
Age - 42
Race – Asian (Indian)
Gender - Male
Other – I have been a commissioned officer in the Military for the last twenty years.

Undergraduate Experience( Done as a part of Induction Training in the Military):
GPA – 6.58/9
School – Jawahar Lal University (JNU), New Delhi
Degree – Bachelor of Technology ( B Tech) ( Electrical and Electronics)
Salient Point – Stood First in Mechanics in the Course

Postgraduate Experience:
GPA – 9/ 10
School – Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi
Degree – Master of Technology (MTech) (Signal Processing)
Salient Point – Stood First amongst 4000 students at IIT Delhi
GPA – 3.94/ 4
School – International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) Bangalore
Degree – Post Graduate Diploma in Data Science
Salient Point – Stood First in the Course (Highest CGPA)

Voluntary Adventure Activities:
1. Led a team of 30 personnel to cycle for 2000 km.
2. Completed Parachute Jumping Course, including night jumping
3. Completed Rock Climbing Course, including valley crossing

Work Experience:
I have led teams of up to 500 personnel and managed material worth two million dollars during my career. Few salient points of my career are as follows:-

• Formally Commended by Head of the Service for leading by personal example and motivating the team to work under extremely challenging conditions during a life threatening operational situation, in keeping with the motto ‘ Sink but Never Surrender’
• Turned around a sub-par performing production unit, comprising 500 civilian personnel following trade union rules, by implementing unique production initiatives and developing a strong bond with workers through fair and transparent conduct, strong moral courage and immense courage of conviction
• Formally Commended by Head of the Service for conceptualising and building the largest recreational facility for troops in the Service to bring up the morale of the team serving in the station
• Identified a design flaw in a combat system, developed a prototype to resolve the issue and subsequently implemented the solution on all combat platforms
• Implemented the concept of ‘Goal Oriented Training’ for the first time in the Service

Social Work:

I, along with my father, have been running a support group for the economically disadvantaged people of my native place. Towards this, we have distributed warm clothing to more than 10000 people and rendered free medical aid, including medicines, to 5000 people. We have been raising funds for these efforts through voluntary donations. We intend to expand the work of our support group to make the people in our area economically independent in a sustainable way.

GMAT:
Total - 730
Quant - 50
Verbal - 39
AWA - 5
IR - 7

Recommenders:
Officers at the highest ranks in the Service

Target Schools (Full time MBA Courses Only):
M7, LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, Cambridge (Although I have been working in a military leadership role for the last twenty years. I am a novice as far as running a business is concerned. Hence, I intend to do a full time MBA for a better and complete learning experience)

Post MBA Plans:
My region is one of the most underdeveloped regions of my country and I want to improve the economic condition of the people there. Primary occupation of the people in my region is agriculture. However, agriculture has generally become economically unviable as people have very small fragments of land (due to repeated division of land over generations). There are no industries in the region either. This situation has led to meagre income for the people in the region. I want to use my support group and set up agriculture based industries in the region wherein people can pool in their small fragments of land and collectively grow raw material for the industry. The people, in return for the usage of the land by the industry, will be given stakes in the industry. The industry will also generate employment opportunities for the local people. The whole scheme can bring about sustainable development in the region by utilising the currently unused land and generating employment and income for the people without any need for them to migrate to the developed areas. The scheme will be started in a smaller region and then grow to over to larger geographic regions. I want to use my MBA degree to set up and manage these industries over a large area.

I will be grateful if you can comment on the suitability of my profile for my target schools. Any suggestions regarding improvements in profile, other schools to be targeted are also welcome.

Regards

manishtiger

I fully concur with @Admissionado's suggestions.

Further, for your post-MBA objectives, which are primarily focused on India, I recommend that you seriously contemplate Indian business schools, particularly the IIM A PGPX program. I have been hearing about some compelling agribusiness start-ups emerge from this institution in recent years, and they have received initial funding from the school.
Indian business schools would give a fair evaluation to a high-achieving military applicant and a visionary like yourself and would not exhibit bias based on age, unlike international schools during the selection process.

Wishing you all the best.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
manishtiger:

There really aren't any programs that are high enough ranked that are better known for considering students 35+ or even 40+. They all have the same philosophical belief when it comes to age at this level.

So, if you want to try your hand at admission for full-time MBA programs, you should just go with the schools you have your heart set on and see if you get traction. You might even want to apply to a large number of schools for R1 and R2 this coming year. That's not something we typically recommend (we favor quality applications over quantity), but given this real x-factor for you in terms of age, you kind of need more "at-bats."

If we can help, please reach out for a free consultation using this link below:

https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/
Moderator:
Admissionado
9221 posts