GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 17:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Request Profile Eval + Career change advice

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Request Profile Eval + Career change advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 00:10
Hi,

Kindly evaluate my profile

Age at Matriculation - 39 years
Matriculation yr - Aug 2019 or Jan/Mar 2020
Education - BE (GPA 3.0), MBA (Tier II school in India)
Programs interested - Full time MBA (1yr & 2yr)
Locations preferred - Europe & Canada
GMAT - 710, planning a retake in November, aiming 750+

Nationality - Indian

Extracurriculars - Powerlifting team captain at university, Bronze medalist at National level Powerlifting competition, Black Belt in Taekwondo, Winner of various State/National level Bodybuilding competitions

Community work - Taught Martial arts & guitar to children at a foster home, which took care of children born in brothels.
Taught the basics of fitness & nutrition to underprivileged teenagers at local community, to prepare them for a career in Personal training.

Experience - 9 years in Sales Support managerial role in Top companies in the Consumer Electronics Industry in India.
6 months Sabbatical, then for the last 1.5 years as a full time Freelance Fitness/Nutrition/Kick-boxing Coach. As a fitness coach i exclusively work with HNI's & provide customized Personal training & Diet programs. I also train fitness athletes to get them ready for Bodybuilding contests.

Global exposure - None, other than working for Chinese & South Korean firms, hence constant interaction with Global offices.

Post MBA goals - To get into Consumer Electronics Industry on an international level, to gain Global exposure working for Top brands primarily in Europe & North America. Hoping to someday be at the CXO level position.

Schools Targeted - Safe schools - Schulich, Ivey, HEC(Montreal), Smith, Mannheim, Leipzig,
Dream schools - Rotman, Erasmus, IMD, INSEAD, HEC(Paris)

Now my questions are

1. How do you rate my chances at the above schools, considering my age & untraditional current career choice?

2. Does my move away from corporate to start something on my own (which is very non traditional & untypical of a Bschool aspirant), looks bad on my resume, so much as to hamper my chances at these schools?

3. I have recently been offered a role back in the corporate as a Product manager. This role is new to me & is very attractive & also its a great opportunity for me to restart my career in corporate. However I am skeptical about leaving my business, which i built from scratch & is doing quite well.
I would not want to move back to corporate, unless it will help in showcasing my profile in good light, in a very traditional way. Will a move back to corporate look bad on my resume or will it be show a good shift, since i will be kind of re inventing myself again?

Thanks. Appreciate your inputs
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Request Profile Eval + Career change advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 09:41
Hi MrTodd,

Yes you do have a non-traditional pre-MBA background, which is both a strength and a challenge! Re. your questions...

1. How do you rate my chances at the above schools, considering my age & untraditional current career choice? Your experience level, and also the fact that you have an MBA already is going to be a challenge at some of the schools on your list. Agree that increasing your GMAT may help a bit. The career choice is less of a concern, and more something that you need to be prepared to explain and show how it connects to your future goals and how it will bring a unique perspective to the class. Also would recommend you look at Exec MBA programs.

2. Does my move away from corporate to start something on my own (which is very non traditional & untypical of a Bschool aspirant), looks bad on my resume, so much as to hamper my chances at these schools? No it does not look bad. In fact it allows a chance to show positive qualities like following your passion and starting something from the ground up. Is there any way you can connect the move to your future goals? Like wanting to work in the health & wellness industry long term? Otherwise I worry that there will be a disconnect to your career goal story.

3. I have recently been offered a role back in the corporate as a Product manager. This role is new to me & is very attractive & also its a great opportunity for me to restart my career in corporate. However I am skeptical about leaving my business, which i built from scratch & is doing quite well.
I would not want to move back to corporate, unless it will help in showcasing my profile in good light, in a very traditional way. Will a move back to corporate look bad on my resume or will it be show a good shift, since i will be kind of re inventing myself again? I wouldn't decide based on how it improves your admissions chances, rather decide on whether it's something you want to do right now and will help you in the future. It makes me wonder though, if you're not excited about going back to a corporate now, then how do you explain your CXO goals?

Hope this helps!
Kate

MrTodd wrote:
Hi,

Kindly evaluate my profile

Age at Matriculation - 39 years
Matriculation yr - Aug 2019 or Jan/Mar 2020
Education - BE (GPA 3.0), MBA (Tier II school in India)
Programs interested - Full time MBA (1yr & 2yr)
Locations preferred - Europe & Canada
GMAT - 710, planning a retake in November, aiming 750+

Nationality - Indian

Extracurriculars - Powerlifting team captain at university, Bronze medalist at National level Powerlifting competition, Black Belt in Taekwondo, Winner of various State/National level Bodybuilding competitions

Community work - Taught Martial arts & guitar to children at a foster home, which took care of children born in brothels.
Taught the basics of fitness & nutrition to underprivileged teenagers at local community, to prepare them for a career in Personal training.

Experience - 9 years in Sales Support managerial role in Top companies in the Consumer Electronics Industry in India.
6 months Sabbatical, then for the last 1.5 years as a full time Freelance Fitness/Nutrition/Kick-boxing Coach. As a fitness coach i exclusively work with HNI's & provide customized Personal training & Diet programs. I also train fitness athletes to get them ready for Bodybuilding contests.

Global exposure - None, other than working for Chinese & South Korean firms, hence constant interaction with Global offices.

Post MBA goals - To get into Consumer Electronics Industry on an international level, to gain Global exposure working for Top brands primarily in Europe & North America. Hoping to someday be at the CXO level position.

Schools Targeted - Safe schools - Schulich, Ivey, HEC(Montreal), Smith, Mannheim, Leipzig,
Dream schools - Rotman, Erasmus, IMD, INSEAD, HEC(Paris)

Now my questions are

1. How do you rate my chances at the above schools, considering my age & untraditional current career choice?

2. Does my move away from corporate to start something on my own (which is very non traditional & untypical of a Bschool aspirant), looks bad on my resume, so much as to hamper my chances at these schools?

I would not want to move back to corporate, unless it will help in showcasing my profile in good light, in a very traditional way. Will a move back to corporate look bad on my resume or will it be show a good shift, since i will be kind of re inventing myself again?

Thanks. Appreciate your inputs

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 06:19
Thanks Kate!! Appreciate your very useful insights!

- My decision to go for a full time MBA, is in part driven by opportunity to primarily work in European/Canadian market, eventually immigrate to Europe or Canada. Hence really not keen to go for an Exec MBA. I understand my age & experience, will be a severe drawback, I am hoping i can mitigate that with a unique profile, higher GMAT & choosing schools which are open to older candidates.

- I have been part of Health & Wellness industry (15+ years as a Personal Trainer/Taekwondo instructor), keeping it as a second stream of revenue, throughout my career in coprorate & hence i will continue to do so. I grew the business from it being just a part time hobby to a full fledged main income generator for myself, thanks to social media & online coaching popularity. So in the long term, I would love to work with firms, which are into electronic gadgets/online platforms related to Health & Wellness Industry, speculating a boom in this market in the near future & also branching out into home/medical appliances (e.g Air putirfiers, water purifiers, etc.)

- I actually am excited about the new opportunity, however i am just a bit skeptical about adjusting to the work hours. Since being a business owner had allowed me immense freedom to choose my work hours.

I am very keen on applying to German Schools (Leipzig, Mannheim), Erasmus, IMD. Really not sure about INSEAD, HEC or British schools.

Will appreciate if you let me know, How the MBAmission team can help me out in securing admission to one of the above schools?

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi MrTodd,

Yes you do have a non-traditional pre-MBA background, which is both a strength and a challenge! Re. your questions...

1. How do you rate my chances at the above schools, considering my age & untraditional current career choice? Your experience level, and also the fact that you have an MBA already is going to be a challenge at some of the schools on your list. Agree that increasing your GMAT may help a bit. The career choice is less of a concern, and more something that you need to be prepared to explain and show how it connects to your future goals and how it will bring a unique perspective to the class. Also would recommend you look at Exec MBA programs.

2. Does my move away from corporate to start something on my own (which is very non traditional & untypical of a Bschool aspirant), looks bad on my resume, so much as to hamper my chances at these schools? No it does not look bad. In fact it allows a chance to show positive qualities like following your passion and starting something from the ground up. Is there any way you can connect the move to your future goals? Like wanting to work in the health & wellness industry long term? Otherwise I worry that there will be a disconnect to your career goal story.

I would not want to move back to corporate, unless it will help in showcasing my profile in good light, in a very traditional way. Will a move back to corporate look bad on my resume or will it be show a good shift, since i will be kind of re inventing myself again? I wouldn't decide based on how it improves your admissions chances, rather decide on whether it's something you want to do right now and will help you in the future. It makes me wonder though, if you're not excited about going back to a corporate now, then how do you explain your CXO goals?

Hope this helps!
Kate

mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 09:31
Happy to help. I see your reasons for full time, and that makes sense. I agree that with a unique profile, higher GMAT, and targeting schools (like those in Europe and Canada) which tend to have higher experience level will help your chances.

Also sounds good re. your goals, I'm glad you can connect your passion for health & wellness to your corporate goals.

Since your unique experience and early success as a business owner is something to differentiate you, I don't see a strong need to take the corporate role to improve your admissions chances. That doesn't mean it'll hurt, I just don't see it helping much.

We'd love to help you in your applications -- you can check out our services here: https://shop.mbamission.com/collections/services
or better yet sign up for a free 30 min consultation (with me or someone else on the team) and we can talk through your plans: https://www.mbamission.com/consult/

Best,
Kate

MrTodd wrote:
Thanks Kate!! Appreciate your very useful insights!

- My decision to go for a full time MBA, is in part driven by opportunity to primarily work in European/Canadian market, eventually immigrate to Europe or Canada. Hence really not keen to go for an Exec MBA. I understand my age & experience, will be a severe drawback, I am hoping i can mitigate that with a unique profile, higher GMAT & choosing schools which are open to older candidates.

- I have been part of Health & Wellness industry (15+ years as a Personal Trainer/Taekwondo instructor), keeping it as a second stream of revenue, throughout my career in coprorate & hence i will continue to do so. I grew the business from it being just a part time hobby to a full fledged main income generator for myself, thanks to social media & online coaching popularity. So in the long term, I would love to work with firms, which are into electronic gadgets/online platforms related to Health & Wellness Industry, speculating a boom in this market in the near future & also branching out into home/medical appliances (e.g Air putirfiers, water purifiers, etc.)

- I actually am excited about the new opportunity, however i am just a bit skeptical about adjusting to the work hours. Since being a business owner had allowed me immense freedom to choose my work hours.

I am very keen on applying to German Schools (Leipzig, Mannheim), Erasmus, IMD. Really not sure about INSEAD, HEC or British schools.

Will appreciate if you let me know, How the MBAmission team can help me out in securing admission to one of the above schools?

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi MrTodd,

Hope this helps!
Kate

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Request Profile Eval + Career change advice

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap