GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 15:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Rescheduling - is it worth it?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 33
Location: Hungary
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.37
Rescheduling - is it worth it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 22:46
Hi guys,

I have 8 days left until my exam, so today is the last day I could reschedule without paying the full fee. I would like some opinions, whether it would be worth it to postpone my exam.

Originally, I aimed to score around the 700 mark, but now I realize that I just lacked self-confidence and put the bar too low for myself.

Also, I wanted to apply for master in management programs, not MBA's, but after talking to an admission officer this weekend, I realize that it would be going back in time and basically wasting 2 years of my life at this point. Hence, I don't even know which schools to send my scores to. Is it possible not to choose any and WITHOUT paying extra, choose ALL of them later online?

In the meantime I also realized (I think everyone does at some point) that my prep could have been way more efficient, and now, with more information, I see what I could, or should have done differently. I still have a lot of tests to go through, but I don't want to totally exhaust myself in the last week, as it would be counterproductive imo.

Basically, if I'll score low I'll be embarrassed, and it will end up on my score card for all the schools to see. If I'll score around, or even above 700 though, I'm not sure I'll be motivated enough to retake it, especially because it is inherently a risk (what if I'll have a very bad day?), but the score will bug me forever, knowing I could do better with maybe an extra 2 weeks of prep.

On the other hand, a real exam experience could go a long way, even if it's pretty expensive for me.

I'd appreciate some insight and opinions, especially if you have had the same dilemma yourself. Please, let me know, how did you decide eventually, and if you think it was the right call. Thanks a lot in advance! :-)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 1583
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Rescheduling - is it worth it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 20:24
Dreya wrote:
I have 8 days left until my exam, so today is the last day I could reschedule without paying the full fee. I would like some opinions, whether it would be worth it to postpone my exam.
I know it says that on mba.com, but you might be able to reschedule with 7 days to go. Call up the Pearson customer service people if you can to check how much time you have.

Dreya wrote:
Originally, I aimed to score around the 700 mark, but now I realize that I just lacked self-confidence and put the bar too low for myself.
What is your new target score?

Dreya wrote:
Is it possible not to choose any and WITHOUT paying extra, choose ALL of them later online?
No. Although you can choose not to select any programs during your test, you'll have to pay $28 for every program you send your score to after the test. It is highly recommended that you put some choices down there, on test day, without worrying about whether you'll eventually change your decision.

Dreya wrote:
Basically, if I'll score low I'll be embarrassed, and it will end up on my score card for all the schools to see. If I'll score around, or even above 700 though, I'm not sure I'll be motivated enough to retake it, especially because it is inherently a risk (what if I'll have a very bad day?), but the score will bug me forever, knowing I could do better with maybe an extra 2 weeks of prep.
There's nothing to be embarrassed about with regard to a low GMAT score. The GMAT is not a measure of your IQ, leadership skills, or business acumen (and a lot of other things). And although it is quite accurate in what it does measure, it is not extremely accurate (to be fair, neither are other tests). You can always cancel your score (so that it does not end up on your school score reports). This applies to your first test and any retakes. No school will know about a cancelled test unless you send them your copy of the score report (which will show the appointment, but not the actual score).

It's not common to see major score increases with just an additional 2 weeks of prep, but that really depends on the individual. I suggest that you not postpone your first attempt if the additional $250 is not unacceptable. As you mentioned, you'll get valuable test experience (and I strongly believe that most test takers need at least 2 attempts to perform to their potential).
_________________

Ascore Prep | Online | Bangalore

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 33
Location: Hungary
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.37
Re: Rescheduling - is it worth it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 05:14
AjiteshArun wrote:
Dreya wrote:
I have 8 days left until my exam, so today is the last day I could reschedule without paying the full fee. I would like some opinions, whether it would be worth it to postpone my exam.
I know it says that on mba.com, but you might be able to reschedule with 7 days to go. Call up the Pearson customer service people if you can to check how much time you have.


Thanks for the reply! :-) Well, now it doesn't matter, I guess, I'll just take it next week.

AjiteshArun wrote:
Dreya wrote:
Originally, I aimed to score around the 700 mark, but now I realize that I just lacked self-confidence and put the bar too low for myself.
What is your new target score?


I'm aiming for 750 now. For a Master's in Europe a 700 would have been fine, so I didn't see the point of putting in that much more extra work. I failed to take into account that I personally might not be satisfied. And I'm also trying to be more chill :cool: How am I doing? :lol:

AjiteshArun wrote:
Dreya wrote:
Is it possible not to choose any and WITHOUT paying extra, choose ALL of them later online?
No. Although you can choose not to select any programs during your test, you'll have to pay $28 for every program you send your score to after the test. It is highly recommended that you put some choices down there, on test day, without worrying about whether you'll eventually change your decision.


Haha the irony... So now I have less than 7 days to prepare and I also need to start looking for ideal MBA programs :lol:

AjiteshArun wrote:
Dreya wrote:
Basically, if I'll score low I'll be embarrassed, and it will end up on my score card for all the schools to see. If I'll score around, or even above 700 though, I'm not sure I'll be motivated enough to retake it, especially because it is inherently a risk (what if I'll have a very bad day?), but the score will bug me forever, knowing I could do better with maybe an extra 2 weeks of prep.
There's nothing to be embarrassed about with regard to a low GMAT score. The GMAT is not a measure of your IQ, leadership skills, or business acumen (and a lot of other things). And although it is quite accurate in what it does measure, it is not extremely accurate (to be fair, neither are other tests). You can always cancel your score (so that it does not end up on your school score reports). This applies to your first test and any retakes. No school will know about a cancelled test unless you send them your copy of the score report (which will show the appointment, but not the actual score).

It's not common to see major score increases with just an additional 2 weeks of prep, but that really depends on the individual. I suggest that you not postpone your first attempt if the additional $250 is not unacceptable. As you mentioned, you'll get valuable test experience (and I strongly believe that most test takers need at least 2 attempts to perform to their potential).


You're absolutely right, thanks so much! :-) I just typically have double standards for myself, and am not very forgiving. I also decided in advance not to cancel my score. Of course, if it's below 500... then I just might, but I'm trying not to focus on this right now.

2 weeks is actually quite a lot for me. Especially if I get to really focus on the weaker areas. Anyway, now it's happening, I suppose... So good luck to me! :cool:
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 33
Location: Hungary
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.37
Rescheduling - is it worth it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 11:13
So I just came home from my first attempt at GMAT, and I'm quite glad I did not postpone it. I scored 720 (Q48 V40), and I have been trying to decide whether, or not I should be happy about it haha But I decided that it is a pretty decent score after all, nothing to be ashamed of, so I might as well be ^^

I knew I didn't do well on the verbal, as there was a lot of noise and commotion in the room, and I could hear it even through the ear plugs. I felt annoyed, even though I tried my best to ignore it, but I could barely keep my focus. I think that someone's been typing his or her essay, and the keyboard only had one leg out. The noise of the keyboard constantly hitting the desk kept cutting me off from my line of thoughts. There were also other things on top of that, but this was definitely an unexpected nuisance.

BTW fun fact, I scored 730 on both of my GMATPrep CAT's (Nov 30 and Dec 20), and 700 on the free MGMAT CAT (Dec 19), so I feel that my end result is very consistent with these.

Knowing this, and having a real exam experience will definitely make it easier for me to prepare for my next attempt - if I decide to go for it. Not sure how much difference it would make though... I'll need to do some research on this :-)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 1583
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Rescheduling - is it worth it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 21:27
Dreya wrote:
So I just came home from my first attempt at GMAT, and I'm quite glad I did not postpone it. I scored 720 (Q48 V40), and I have been trying to decide whether, or not I should be happy about it haha But I decided that it is a pretty decent score after all, nothing to be ashamed of, so I might as well be ^^

I knew I didn't do well on the verbal, as there was a lot of noise and commotion in the room, and I could hear it even through the ear plugs. I felt annoyed, even though I tried my best to ignore it, but I could barely keep my focus. I think that someone's been typing his or her essay, and the keyboard only had one leg out. The noise of the keyboard constantly hitting the desk kept cutting me off from my line of thoughts. There were also other things on top of that, but this was definitely an unexpected nuisance.

BTW fun fact, I scored 730 on both of my GMATPrep CAT's (Nov 30 and Dec 20), and 700 on the free MGMAT CAT (Dec 19), so I feel that my end result is very consistent with these.

Knowing this, and having a real exam experience will definitely make it easier for me to prepare for my next attempt - if I decide to go for it. Not sure how much difference it would make though... I'll need to do some research on this :-)
720 is a very good score. And you did very well on verbal (Q48=69%, V40=91%).

But the real question is... did you select any programs at the beginning of the test :-D
_________________

Ascore Prep | Online | Bangalore

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 33
Location: Hungary
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.37
Re: Rescheduling - is it worth it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 21:40
Quote:
720 is a very good score. And you did very well on verbal (Q48=69%, V40=91%).

But the real question is... did you select any programs at the beginning of the test :-D


Touche! :lol: :lol: :lol: Actually, before going to bed I remembered that I still had no final list... so I started researching. I knew two schools for sure, and I had a longer list of course (there are so many excellent choices!), but I had to cut it down. I ended up going to bed just before 2 am, ready with my list (more or less :D) However, I forgot to take a look at it before going into the room *total facepalm* So I must have spent the first 5-10 minutes contemplating and reevaluating my options. Actually, when I saw that there was no time limit on this, I got calm, and just really slowed down, so it ended up being a good thing for me, as instead of heading into the quant section in a state of rush and excitement, I was totally zen by the time I even got there :lol:

Full disclosure: when I came out, I had no idea what exactly did I end up choosing. Now I'm 99% sure that I remember correctly :lol:
Re: Rescheduling - is it worth it? &nbs [#permalink] 21 Dec 2017, 21:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Rescheduling - is it worth it?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.