GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Retake 740 (Q48, V42)? Goal to secure scholarship at LBS

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Retake 740 (Q48, V42)? Goal to secure scholarship at LBS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 08:22
Hello,

I have just today taken the GMAT for the first time and received an (unofficial) score of 740 (Q48, Q42). I appreciate that this is a good score but I felt I could have done better.

My goal is to apply to London Business School in September and hopefully secure at least a part scholarship as I will struggle to finance the MBA otherwise. I am applying for their first wave of applications for this reason (as all the relevant scholarships will still be on the table).

While I recognise that the GMAT is not the only consideration for a scholarship, I am also aware that a higher score gives you a better chance of securing one.

However, I have only the following 3.5 weeks to make sure the rest of my application is as strong as possible as I am away from then until the application deadline.

My questions is: do I retake the GMAT in 3 weeks with the goal of scoring 760+ or do I focus all my efforts into the rest of the application?

For context, my previous (official GMAC) mock scores, over the past 6 weeks, were:

1. 700 (Q45, V40)
2. 740 (Q49, V42)
3. 720 (Q49, V40)
4. 760 (Q51, V42)
5. 730 (Q50, V40)*
6. 770 (Q49, V49)

* this test was taken at the end of a very emotionally distressing day. I share this information for full contextual disclosure (of course, emotional events could happen on the day of the exam too)

The rest of my profile is fairly generic: white British male, state educated, working class parents, studied Maths and Physics at undergraduate level, qualified mathematics teacher (taught in a state school for 3 years), worked in consulting (Big 4) for 4 years, currently work in the group strategy function of a FTSE 250 F&B company.

Any advice that you can give would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
Owen
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Retake 740 (Q48, V42)? Goal to secure scholarship at LBS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 10:16
Hi owenrgates

I would fully concentrate to prepare my MBA application within the remaining time. MOST test takers, including me, actually experienced lower gmat score during their first retake (usually within 1-3 months after first exam). I am not undermining your ability, but 740 is meaningfully, if not significantly, higher than the average 690-700 score in LBS. You can ask others' experience.

GMAT is just a single data point of the entire MBA application. Adcoms look at the whole package to consider admission and scholarship. After all, you can always resubmit your (higher) GMAT score for reconsideration of scholarship, after getting accepted in R1.

Wish you best outcome in your application.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: Retake 740 (Q48, V42)? Goal to secure scholarship at LBS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 11:02
owenrgates wrote:
Hello,

I have just today taken the GMAT for the first time and received an (unofficial) score of 740 (Q48, Q42). I appreciate that this is a good score but I felt I could have done better.

My goal is to apply to London Business School in September and hopefully secure at least a part scholarship as I will struggle to finance the MBA otherwise. I am applying for their first wave of applications for this reason (as all the relevant scholarships will still be on the table).

While I recognise that the GMAT is not the only consideration for a scholarship, I am also aware that a higher score gives you a better chance of securing one.

However, I have only the following 3.5 weeks to make sure the rest of my application is as strong as possible as I am away from then until the application deadline.

My questions is: do I retake the GMAT in 3 weeks with the goal of scoring 760+ or do I focus all my efforts into the rest of the application?

For context, my previous (official GMAC) mock scores, over the past 6 weeks, were:

1. 700 (Q45, V40)
2. 740 (Q49, V42)
3. 720 (Q49, V40)
4. 760 (Q51, V42)
5. 730 (Q50, V40)*
6. 770 (Q49, V49)

* this test was taken at the end of a very emotionally distressing day. I share this information for full contextual disclosure (of course, emotional events could happen on the day of the exam too)

The rest of my profile is fairly generic: white British male, state educated, working class parents, studied Maths and Physics at undergraduate level, qualified mathematics teacher (taught in a state school for 3 years), worked in consulting (Big 4) for 4 years, currently work in the group strategy function of a FTSE 250 F&B company.

Any advice that you can give would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
Owen

You have a very good profile as well as great GMAT score. So, you are appling in Round 1, then you would have fair cahnces to get high % of scholarship amount. all the best.
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 11:17
Congratulations on your great score. I think you can still secure a good scholarship fromantic your choice of school. It all depends on your conviction. All the best.

Posted from my mobile device
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 20:52
Hi Owen,

First off, a 740/Q48 is an outstanding Score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is almost certainly NOT be necessary. Since you have a specific application plan and timeline already, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile - and what you might do to strengthen it. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2019, 07:02
Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your responses, they are much appreciated.
CR Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 03:26
Hi owenrgates

740 is an outstanding score.

I suggest you concentrate on your applications rather on the retake.

HTH

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 12:36
Hi ownegates,

I agree that you should be pretty set with 740. That said, it would not hurt to reach out to one of the many admissions consultants here on GMAT club to get another opinion. If you do end up retaking, feel free to reach back out, and I’d be happy to help.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Retake 740 (Q48, V42)? Goal to secure scholarship at LBS   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2019, 12:36

Retake 740 (Q48, V42)? Goal to secure scholarship at LBS

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics