GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 11:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Retake or not? How to continue after 2nd GMAT exam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Retake or not? How to continue after 2nd GMAT exam [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 07:19
Chaps,

I just finished my second try to get a good GMAT score (unfortunately without any success). Below you can find my scores and a bit of my professional and educational background. I am still not sure how I should continue.
Option A: Focus on GMAT again and retake it in 1-2 months (target score 680-700) - I doubt that I can boost my quant score that much because of the plateau I have reached.
Option B: Focus now on TOEFL and continue with the application process (target schools: LBS, INSEAD, Booth, Wharton, Cambridge, Oxford)
I am 32 years old, hence I should not waste any more time. Because of the financial perspective I am still aiming for a MBA instead of an EMBA.

What do you think? Do you see any opportunities to be successful when applying at one of the above mentioned schools?

GMATPrep scores over the last three months:
GMATPep 1: 510 (Q42, V19) - It was just I the first try without any preparation after my first real GMAT exam
GMATPep 2: 650 (Q47, V34)
GMATPep 3: 660 (Q44, V36)
GMATPep 4: 640 (Q42, V35)
Excersise material: All OG's (official, math, verbal), MGMAT CATs (scores are not representative because I had to reset them), MGMAT books, etc. Hence a lot and I also went through many of OG questions twice with error log, etc. (Unfortunately I would have only 2 GMATPrep left that I can purchase, if I decide to continue studying for the GMAT)

Real GMAT exams
GMAT 1: 540 (2-3 years ago)
GMAT 2: 630 (Q43, V34), IR:4

Professional experience: >10 years (banking and consulting)
Education: Bachelor business administration, GPA 3.6 and diploma in computer science, GPA 4.0
VP
VP
D
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Retake or not? How to continue after 2nd GMAT exam [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 10:27
undergrad555 wrote:
Chaps,

I just finished my second try to get a good GMAT score (unfortunately without any success). Below you can find my scores and a bit of my professional and educational background. I am still not sure how I should continue.
Option A: Focus on GMAT again and retake it in 1-2 months (target score 680-700) - I doubt that I can boost my quant score that much because of the plateau I have reached.
Option B: Focus now on TOEFL and continue with the application process (target schools: LBS, INSEAD, Booth, Wharton, Cambridge, Oxford)
I am 32 years old, hence I should not waste any more time. Because of the financial perspective I am still aiming for a MBA instead of an EMBA.

What do you think? Do you see any opportunities to be successful when applying at one of the above mentioned schools?

GMATPrep scores over the last three months:
GMATPep 1: 510 (Q42, V19) - It was just I the first try without any preparation after my first real GMAT exam
GMATPep 2: 650 (Q47, V34)
GMATPep 3: 660 (Q44, V36)
GMATPep 4: 640 (Q42, V35)
Excersise material: All OG's (official, math, verbal), MGMAT CATs (scores are not representative because I had to reset them), MGMAT books, etc. Hence a lot and I also went through many of OG questions twice with error log, etc. (Unfortunately I would have only 2 GMATPrep left that I can purchase, if I decide to continue studying for the GMAT)

Real GMAT exams
GMAT 1: 540 (2-3 years ago)
GMAT 2: 630 (Q43, V34), IR:4

Professional experience: >10 years (banking and consulting)
Education: Bachelor business administration, GPA 3.6 and diploma in computer science, GPA 4.0

Hi,

As your experience is quite good, you should go for one more attempt because the colleges you have chosen are TOP ones. Your experience may compensate for your low score, but it is always good to have around 700 if you are targeting the best colleges. Age is also a factor, so without wasting much of your time you should start dedicated studies. Your Verbal is quite good, but Quant is quite low. Work more on quant.

QZ

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 20:31
Thanks for your swift reply QZ.
Agree. However I am wondering whether I should focus now on the three OGs, the general, math and the verbal one, or whether I should sign up for another training program as mentioned in bb 's post here https://gmatclub.com/forum/should-i-ret ... 83339.html
I don't know whether it is worth spending $1k for another Economist GMAT training program because I think I know the content itself quite well.

Any suggestions how to proceed?
As you already mentioned I need to improve in the quant section. Thus, any advice what training material I can use besides the below mentioned would be helpful.

Training material I used so far: OG (latest ones: general, math, verbal), MGMAT CATs, MGMAT books (all of them, including the advanced quant book), Magoosh lessons and all practice problems, GMATPrep Exams (including additional exam pack 1)
VP
VP
D

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 09:51
undergrad555 wrote:
Agree. However I am wondering whether I should focus now on the three OGs, the general, math and the verbal one, or whether I should sign up for another training program as mentioned in bb 's post here https://gmatclub.com/forum/should-i-ret ... 83339.html
I don't know whether it is worth spending $1k for another Economist GMAT training program because I think I know the content itself quite well.

As you already mentioned I need to improve in the quant section. Thus, any advice what training material I can use besides the below mentioned would be helpful.

Training material I used so far: OG (latest ones: general, math, verbal), MGMAT CATs, MGMAT books (all of them, including the advanced quant book), Magoosh lessons and all practice problems, GMATPrep Exams (including additional exam pack 1)

Hi,

I am no expert but my 2 cents for you are as follows:

Good news is that you are lacking in Quant and not in Verbal. To be true, it is not that difficult to improve Quant from Q42 to Q48 you have exhausted most of the material which is more than enough. With V 35 and Q 48, you will be around 680. Need to work a bit more on Verbal to gain one or two points and you will be at 700. Easier saying than done. I think you have not used GMAT club forum till now. You need not to spend a single dollar to reach from Q 42 to Q47, if you follow Bunuel (GC math expert). For improving Quant, GMAT club material is more than enough. Use GMAT club tests for your advantage. Start from here in increasing level of difficulties for Quant : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-qu ... 7/?fl=menu
Do all the questions from Bunuel's signature.

It would be enough for to score high.

QZ.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 22:37
QZ wrote:
undergrad555 wrote:

Hi,

Good news is that you are lacking in Quant and not in Verbal. To be true, it is not that difficult to improve Quant from Q42 to Q48 you have exhausted most of the material which is more than enough. With V 35 and Q 48, you will be around 680. Need to work a bit more on Verbal to gain one or two points and you will be at 700. Easier saying than done. I think you have not used GMAT club forum till now. You need not to spend a single dollar to reach from Q 42 to Q47, if you follow Bunuel (GC math expert). For improving Quant, GMAT club material is more than enough. Use GMAT club tests for your advantage. Start from here in increasing level of difficulties for Quant : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-qu ... 7/?fl=menu

QZ.

Thank QZ Sounds reasonable. I only used the GMAT forum to get the explanation for the GMATPrep questions. Hence, your suggestion makes sense.
Since I also need to take the TOEFL too, do you think the following makes sense:
Reduce prep time for GMAT verbal a bit and start studying for the TOEFL
Keep the prep time for GMAT Quant and focus on Bunuel 's signature excercises
Plan to take the next GMAT in 2-3 months
VP
VP
D

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 23:35
undergrad555 wrote:
QZ wrote:
undergrad555 wrote:

Hi,

QZ.

Thank QZ Sounds reasonable. I only used the GMAT forum to get the explanation for the GMATPrep questions. Hence, your suggestion makes sense.
Since I also need to take the TOEFL too, do you think the following makes sense:
Reduce prep time for GMAT verbal a bit and start studying for the TOEFL
Keep the prep time for GMAT Quant and focus on Bunuel 's signature excercises
Plan to take the next GMAT in 2-3 months

I assure you that if you could study for next 2-3 months dedicatedly, including for TOEFL, you can easily reach 720. If you are working, then it would take a bit more hard work and planning. IMO your 650 is more because of Verbal score. That means you have not planned that well for Quant. Use every resource of from GC and use every question to improve step by step. Extract everything from a question you solve and note it down. You are not far from your dream score, so plan and execute well. But keep reviewing Verbal too. You can't keep it on back burner. You have to be in touch with Verbal otherwise you will lose focus. GMAT is all about balancing your acts of preparation. Also keep in mind the changes occured in GMAT a few days ago and plan accordingly.

QZ

Re: Retake or not? How to continue after 2nd GMAT exam   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2018, 23:35

Retake or not? How to continue after 2nd GMAT exam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR JULY
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap