GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Mar 2019, 07:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Retaking GMAT for one last time or giving up?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Retaking GMAT for one last time or giving up?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Feb 2019, 07:46
Dear people,
I am struggling with making the decision to give up or to try another GMAT test. I will explain why.
First of all, if the same situation is already asked or if I am on the wrong place for this topic, sorry. Just tell me haha.

I am a Dutchmen that wants to do the Finance Master at the Erasmus University which starts at September 2019. Last year, the study was fully occupied at the 4th of April 2018, so time is sparse. I need to get a 600 GMAT score minimal. In case I cannot make this study, I have a good alternative so it is not the end of the world if I fail to get to this University.

At the 9th of February 2019 I had my first attempt, which was a horrible attempt: I missed the test due to a traffic jam and besides that, my navigation did not work anymore (first time in my life lol). I was 10 minutes too late, while I was 75 minutes too early in the city where I took the test. 250 dollar gone. I was totally stressed out and even forgot where the parking lot was...

At the 16th of February 2019 I gave it another try. I made it to the test (yeaaahh) but scored a disappointing 500. Scores: (Q 37 ; V 21). I was really surprised of the verbal score because I have followed more than 4 year of English taught courses for my bachelor and master here (although my grammar is not good but still). I was exhausted at the verbal part, I read e.g. RC texts and I just did not understand it and gambled the answers.

My preparation was as follows:

Diagnostic tests chronological order:
-GMAT OffPrep 1: 470 (Q 29; V 25)
-London Business School Simulation Test: 500-530 (Q 32-35 ; V 28-29)
-GMAT OffPrep 2: 450 ( Q 36; V16)… I skipped some verbal questions due to lack of concentration.
-Kaplan diagnostic test: 550 ( Q 40; V 25)

Materials:
-I think I started at the end of November but only with rather limited time (maximum 10 hours a week). At the 4th of February, I started with the full time preparation for the GMAT Test (so learning every day until the last GMAT test).
-I did not pay for any materials.

I used the following sites:
- This site (GMATclub). I made many quant questions on this site and also found a lot of useful information at this site (thanks for it!).
- Majortests site (did 90% of the tests).
- I used a lot of information at the Gmathacks site.
- The GMAT Off Prep site with all the questions.
- Some other sites but only very limited.

I know that my preparation was not optimal, but I follow a BA master currently and have other responsibilities so my time is pretty scarce. I do not want to screw up my current master because of the GMAT, so my current master is priority #1. I only have time left for just one GMAT test.

So my two question are:
- Do you think it is possible to get a 600 score in my case if I plan a third (second attempt thus actually) at the end of March 2019, considering that I spend about 2 a 3 hours study time per day for 3 weeks for the GMAT?
I am willing to pay for some material but not too much (maximum 60 dollar). For example an OG with 1000 pages seems too much for me considering the limited time I have.
- Is it really possible to improve my verbal score to e.g. 30+ in the limited time I have?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: I also have an ESR of my GMAT attempt. If you want to see it, I can tell some details about it:)

Originally posted by henkkoning on 26 Feb 2019, 03:09.
Last edited by henkkoning on 26 Feb 2019, 07:46, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: ISB '20 (D), NUS '21
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.3
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Feb 2019, 21:22
Hey!

I think the issue with you is not your ability but your strategy. I'm quite certain that a better approach towards preparation will push your score past your target score.

Here are my thoughts on your situation:

1) Yes, it's quite possible to score 600+ considering the time you have to prepare for GMAT, but provided you change your methods of learning.

2) Your scores so far reflect that you have conceptual gaps; therefore, it's best that you study from a proper study material as it will help you to build concepts and to teach you certain approaches towards problem solving. Simply solving questions or randomly reading articles on fundamentals of topics on gmatclub or any other such resources will not do these two things for you as efficiently as a well designed study package will.

3) OG is essential, so pick it up. You can easily solve all OG questions in the time that you have allotted for your preparation. However, OG alone will not be sufficient for learning as it is just a random pool of GMAT type questions whose solutions are insufficient for developing concepts.

4) Your current budget is too low to sign up for a recognized GMAT preparation service, so drop me a personal message so that I can share some of my study material with you.

5) With some methodical preparation, you can easily lift your Verbal score past V30.

I hope my suggestions help you. For anything else, feel free to ask.

Originally posted by iamsiddharthkapoor on 26 Feb 2019, 04:52.
Last edited by iamsiddharthkapoor on 26 Feb 2019, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Retaking GMAT for one last time or giving up?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 05:25
Thans for the quick reply iamsiddharthkapoor !
You mean with OG the book including all questions and strategies for both quantitative and verbal?
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: ISB '20 (D), NUS '21
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.3
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Feb 2019, 21:21
Yes.

OG stands for Official Guide. It has a pool of questions of all five types of questions- RC, SC, CR, PS and DS, that appeared in GMAT in the past. There's also an OGVR that stands for Official Guide Verbal Review and OGQR Official Guide Quantitative Review, both of which have additional questions of Verbal and Quants respectively. Below are the links for OG, OGVR and OGQR for 2019:

1. OG 2019: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-official ... 68443.html
2. OGVR 2019: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-official ... 68445.html
3. OGQR 2019: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-official ... 68444.html

Originally posted by iamsiddharthkapoor on 26 Feb 2019, 06:40.
Last edited by iamsiddharthkapoor on 26 Feb 2019, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 16:16
Hi henkkoning,

From what you describe, you would probably have no more than about 4 weeks of potential study time, but considering your other priorities your GMAT studies would not be your 'focus' during that time. Raising a 500 to the point that you could consistently score 600+ is an achievable goal, BUT it would likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you would have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. The GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level - but you will likely need more time than you have allotted.

1) Have you considered applying for this Program at a later date (after you have had more time to properly study for the GMAT)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 02:08
DearEMPOWER,
Thanks for the reply:)
Unfortunately this is my last chance to apply for the university (otherwise I need to pay 10k euros extra which is not worth the investment imo. In the US it might be, but in NL not imo.)
So, if I retake the GMAT, I need to do it in a month time. I can focus more on the GMAT instead of my current master. But that is the best I could do unfortunately...
Thanks in advance!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 14:36
By the way, is it possible to improve my verbal score significantly in this short time frame even if someone is very bad at grammar?

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 18:30
Hi henkkoning,

Thank you for sharing your story. I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but I do want to be honest with you: If you stay on your current study path, there is little chance of your improving your GMAT skills and thus your GMAT score, regardless of when you take your next GMAT. On the other hand, if you decide that GMAT prep is going to be more of a top priority in your life, and you follow a more thorough and structured study plan, then YES, you can improve your score. That said, even if you make those changes, I think that improving your score is going to take longer than just one month. Are you able to take the GMAT at a later date?

In any case, if you’d like some more detailed advice on how to improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills, feel free to reach back out. Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about developing the proper mindset for GMAT success.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 23:36
Hi henkkoning,

Would the extra 10,000 Euro fee that you mentioned still occur if you applied NEXT year?

While I understand that you would probably like to apply sooner rather than later, you have to remember your REAL Goal: to get into your first-choice School. If you truly need a 600+ GMAT Score to apply, then an application deadline simply does NOT matter - if you don't have that minimal Score, then you can't apply. This is meant to say that I think that you are too intent on trying to 'rush' through this process when achieving all of these goals will likely require more time.

Rich

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 02:40
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi henkkoning,

-------------

In any case, if you’d like some more detailed advice on how to improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills, f----
Good luck!

Thanks! I like honest news haha. Unfortunately, the application deadline is begin of April, so I cant postpone it. I will do the neccesary stuff first (my current master, I cant screw up that one) and then see if there is enough time left.
Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 02:47
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi henkkoning,

Would the extra 10,000 Euro fee that you mentioned still occur if you applied NEXT year?

While I understand that you would probably like to apply sooner rather than later, you have to remember your REAL Goal: to get into your first-choice School. If you truly need a 600+ GMAT Score to apply, then an application deadline simply does NOT matter - if you don't have that minimal Score, then you can't apply. This is meant to say that I think that you are too intent on trying to 'rush' through this process when achieving all of these goals will likely require more time.

Rich

Thanks. Yes, the fee still applies then. Its a long story, but it has to do with the college money we receive from the Dutch government haha. And for me, this 10k is a lot. In e.g. the US, this will be probably compensated by higher wages. However, in the NL its different. Its not always about the school and the performances on a certain school; its more about how you sell yourself and how you perform at your job. The Dutch school culture does focus way less on school performances, GPA's, school image etc. than many other countries such as Germany, US etc. And besides that, my plan b (another university) is also a nice one. So its not the end of the world haha, although im still dissapointed in my GMAT performance.
I will do the neccesary stuff first (my current master, I cant screw up that one) and then see if there is enough time left:)
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 06:46
My pleasure. If you need any further advice, let me know.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 08:42
Well, just heard that master at Eresmus University if already fully occupied (half a year in front lol).. so the struggles are gone. I dont need to make the GMAT anymore because im too late. Anyway, thanks for all the tips and messages!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Retaking GMAT for one last time or giving up?   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2019, 08:42

Retaking GMAT for one last time or giving up?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap