GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 05:20

R1 Admission Decisions:

Stanford Chat (Calls Started)  |  Wharton Chat  (Calls Expected Soon)  |  Fuqua Chat (Calls Expected Soon)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

ROI of MBA for Social Impact/Non-profit Careers

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
ROI of MBA for Social Impact/Non-profit Careers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 16:29
Hi,

I have been fortunate enough to have been admitted to Fuqua in R2 and am experiencing some mixed feelings, to say the least. As someone who is interested in impact investing/social entrepreneurship-related careers, I am really excited by the school's offerings in the space. However, I did not receive any aid and am definitely a bit leery of footing a ~200k bill, especially given my desired career path.

Are there any folks out there who can speak to pursuing a social impact career (at Fuqua or elsewhere) while balancing the considerable financial obligations of an MBA? Although it would probably be harder for me to make a career pivot into impact investing without an MBA, I am unsure as to whether the debt burden would enable me to pursue the type of jobs I am passionate about in the short to mid term anyway. Any and all insights would be much appreciated.

Best of luck to everyone who is still awaiting decisions!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: ROI of MBA for Social Impact/Non-profit Careers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 12:31
Love that you asked this question-- I'm wondering the same thing (currently thinking about SOM)

Can someone please share their perspective?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: ROI of MBA for Social Impact/Non-profit Careers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 13:08
Congrats on your Fuqua admit and thanks for posting the question!

There is definitely a tough question that always existed - what about an MBA for non-consulting/IB/Finance track, and esp. non-profit/social path. Outside of Yale SOM, nobody seems to really resonate with the message and even Yale seems to have scaled back their program a bit. https://som.yale.edu/news/news/loan-for ... am-revised

However, there are good news as well - take a look at the Yale reviews - you may have missed a few students comment about the social impact careers: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/comments/y ... -345352856

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Bot
Re: ROI of MBA for Social Impact/Non-profit Careers &nbs [#permalink] 28 Mar 2018, 13:08

ROI of MBA for Social Impact/Non-profit Careers

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap