It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 04:24

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Role of a consultant

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 29

Schools: Duke '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge
Role of a consultant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 22:56
Hello Experts ,
What is the role/help of a consultant during the application process apart from the essays?

A) Is it sensible to apply to schools on your own after having a chat with an expert and get your essays reviewed (or) go for a comprehensive package?

B) do most schools have a common application form viz personal details professional details essays or does it vary from school to school?

C) what are the common questions asked in application forms?

Regards,
HK

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 77

Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Role of a consultant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 04:11
Hi, basically what I do is dig out the juicy nuggets about you that will relate to what business schools are looking for. I really work with you on understanding your narrative, strengths, and how to best sell you, frankly. It's kind of like Consulting in the sense that I need to do the research and then write the report. Of course you write the drafts, but I help shape the content. If you were to think about this in a business context you would want to do market research before creating a new product and you would want to understand your audience in order to make sure that that product is communicated effectively. So think about how you are the product in that situation. It's a lot more than correcting grammar on your essays please believe me. It's basically an advertising campaign where you are the product, and your advertising campaign materials include your resume, your letters of recommendation (which are basically like to other essays)....then your essays of course and it's never wise to underestimate the importance of the online application. The school's wrote that application so they care about it. And of course all of this will come undone unless you get a really good interview under your belt. And that has to be on target with the program and how it applies your specific goals. It's quite involved. And I do believe it is absolutely necessary to be competitive in this process.

http://MBAPrepCoach.COM

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 77

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 05:58
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi, basically what I do is dig out the juicy nuggets about you that will relate to what business schools are looking for. I really work with you on understanding your narrative, strengths, and how to best sell you, frankly. It's kind of like Consulting in the sense that I need to do the research and then write the report. Of course you write the drafts, but I help shape the content. If you were to think about this in a business context you would want to do market research before creating a new product and you would want to understand your audience in order to make sure that that product is communicated effectively. So think about how you are the product in that situation. It's a lot more than correcting grammar on your essays please believe me. It's basically an advertising campaign where you are the product, and your advertising campaign materials include your resume, your letters of recommendation (which are basically like to other essays)....then your essays of course and it's never wise to underestimate the importance of the online application. The school's wrote that application so they care about it. And of course all of this will come undone unless you get a really good interview under your belt. And that has to be on target with the program and how it applies your specific goals. It's quite involved. And I do believe it is absolutely necessary to be competitive in this process.

http://MBAPrepCoach.COM

Hello there ,
I have sent you a request over Skype for profile assessment , do kindly accept it and i look forward to your assessment. I am an aspirant from India and here consultants charge around 1100 dollars for 6 schools , an amount which is almost 1/8 for the standard rate of 6 schools in the US ( 9000- 10000) dollars for most companies . While i do believe that the consultants in the US have a lot more to offer , i also want to reduce my costs for the application process ,for the sole reason that i cannot afford such a huge amount.

Hence i was looking at a resume editing / school selection service for 2/3 hours and then i apply to schools on my own and in the end probably essay review / a quick glance of the profile for specific schools and make some changes . I do not know if consultants have such services but i am willing to spend the same amount of money in an effective way (1100 dollars ) , to apply to schools across the globe

Regards,
HK

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 17

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 19:28
Just to add to above, most of us under sell or look exaggerated. We tend to attach the basic school moral "evaluating our answers". In MBA admission process, you are being evaluated not your answers for their content. So everything you write should be able to sell you are a best deal!!!

Even if Universities know that you are trying to sell yourself but they see how well you have done, your job is done!!! Taking expert help comes handy to be in that right zone.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 22:25
Sowmya2709 wrote:
Just to add to above, most of us under sell or look exaggerated. We tend to attach the basic school moral "evaluating our answers". In MBA admission process, you are being evaluated not your answers for their content. So everything you write should be able to sell you are a best deal!!!

Even if Universities know that you are trying to sell yourself but they see how well you have done, your job is done!!! Taking expert help comes handy to be in that right zone.

Thanks Sowmya2709

Are you by any chance a consultant ?

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 22:44
Hey,

Not really, however I have been working in corporate for 11 years now and have been part of interview panels or decision making groups. Here I learnt this from leadership teams etc some insight from experience

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 23:25
Sowmya2709 wrote:
Hey,

Not really, however I have been working in corporate for 11 years now and have been part of interview panels or decision making groups. Here I learnt this from leadership teams etc some insight from experience

Hi ,
That's nice to know. I see you have recently joined , Welcome to GMAT club . Cheers

Regards,
HK

Re: Role of a consultant   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2017, 23:25

Role of a consultant

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap