Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Ross MBA now or wait [#permalink]
Congrats on Ross. You sound like you are trying to resume build and have no idea what you want to do. While resume building is not a terrible idea, having a bunch of amazing/sporadic names on your resume is great but having accomplishments and goals are probably more important. Don't do things only to build your resume (unless it is in the short term).

Life isn't about having a golden resume or working for the most elite company. Life is about enjoying the time you have. If that means having a golden resume and working for the most elite company than so be it (and that would make my prior statement incorrect :lol: ) but make sure you enjoyed the experience and/or the time you spent acquiring that resume or working for that company in that role.

I truly do not like my function in my company anymore and have been held back because I do not have a business degree so I want an MBA now because I believe an MBA will help me understand a lot at a deeper level that I have had to learn on the job and will let me change roles and/or industry.

That being said. Ross is a great school but if you think 2 more years of experience can help you out a lot before an MBA maybe that is good idea for you. I would talk to current students who are recruiting, they can tell you what recruiters are looking for. No one can really answer this question though, its a personal call.

Either way, I am sure you will be successful. Come to GBR and let that help you decide. These 1 year application cycles and 2 year MBA programs sure make these decisions harder to make... looking at your life in 3 year increments can be annoying! Good luck with the decision!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
A good plan executed now (Ross) is better than a great plan executed in 2 years (HSW), in my opinion. Admission at a top 5 program is never guaranteed no matter when you apply. What if you decide to hold out, apply in 2 years, and get the same results?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I appreciate the help...as mentioned I have no idea what I want to do, so unfortunately this decision is not easy (not that it ever is) :-D I will keep you all posted on what I end up doing (if your interested)

Thanks again for the replies!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
I went through a similar situation last year, and I decided to wait. Although a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush, if you can imagine yourself ten years from now thinking to yourself, "what if I had gone to one of the higher ranking schools?" then it might be better to wait and reapply.

With that said, I would like to give you some food for thought.

- There is a possibility that you might end up getting rejected by the same schools, plus Ross, when you apply again. The MBA application process is a crapshoot. The things that make you appealing to Ross now might not be the same things that they would be looking for in b-school applicants a couple of years from now. You have an admit from a great school now, and there's a possibility of you getting a goose egg the next time you apply. Are you willing to take this risk?

- I understand that you genuinely want to join the Peace Corps, and I applaud you for this. My question is... Is this in any way, shape or form relevant to your future goals? If not, how do you intend to explain to the AdComs that this was not something that you did just to impress them or potential employers?

- Is the MBA a means to an end, or is your goal just to have a school with a global brand on your resume? What do the other schools offer that Ross doesn't? Are these things worth waiting a couple of years for?

- Do you think that Ross can ultimately help you achieve your goals? If so, then the smart thing is to go now. If not, why did you apply to begin with?

- What is it that you want to get from the White House Page gig? Is it actual experience working for the government that you are after, or is it just the wow factor of having it on your resume? Think about what YOU want to do, and then focus on getting an internship in the industry that you want to be in.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
threestripes wrote:
- I understand that you genuinely want to join the Peace Corps, and I applaud you for this. My question is... Is this in any way, shape or form relevant to your future goals? If not, how do you intend to explain to the AdComs that this was not something that you did just to impress them or potential employers?

I agree with all your points except the Peace Corps one. You understand that his desire is genuine, you applaud him for it, then you wonder how he intends to explain it without making is sound like an empty resume-builder. One's motivation for joining the Peace Corps, immersing oneself in another culture and helping less fortunate people (arguable w/ the PC) doesn't really need to be explained. It's not in danger of being misconstrued except by the most cynical people.

To the thread starter, it sounds like you're flirting with the idea of an MBA and also flirting with the idea of the Peace Corps. You are obviously unsure of what you want to do, you need to do some real soul-searching.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
CheatingatSolitaire wrote:
threestripes wrote:

I agree with all your points except the Peace Corps one. You understand that his desire is genuine, you applaud him for it, then you wonder how he intends to explain it without making is sound like an empty resume-builder. One's motivation for joining the Peace Corps, immersing oneself in another culture and helping less fortunate people (arguable w/ the PC) doesn't really need to be explained. It's not in danger of being misconstrued except by the most cynical people.

To the thread starter, it sounds like you're flirting with the idea of an MBA and also flirting with the idea of the Peace Corps. You are obviously unsure of what you want to do, you need to do some real soul-searching.

I guess my point is that you always have to assume that the person evaluating your application is cynical. AdComs read through padded resumes and essays filled with lies a lot. Therefore, it is safe to assume that some of these professionals have become somewhat cynical throughout the years.

This is why I think one should clearly convey why they joined the Peace Corps or how the experience helped them realize what their life's passion really is rather than give the potentially jaded AdCom members an excuse to question their intentions if doing the Peace Corps has no connection whatsoever with the applicant's stated goals.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Here is some pretty basic advice - don't go to a school that frowns on people who do peace corps.

I'm currently living/working in a developing country and know lots of great peace corps volunteers (I am not one) - including one who has started a legitimate business helping poor women in the most remote village ever. The business is now on kickstarter and making money, etc. He's implemented quality control standards, western business practices, etc. Does that look bad on a b-school application?

Remember, you have 40 more years to be a potted plant for some consulting or finance firm.

My advice, do the peace corps, learn a new language or 2, keep your eyes open and find some cool economic project, and two-three years from now go to any school you want. And if no, I guarantee over the Peace Corps period you will find something cooler than b-school. That Peace Corps alumni base is pretty great too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
What are you looking for from the PC experience? If it's mainly to better your chances of admission to schools, then I don't think that helps much after 4 yrs WE. I'm no adcom but from a general standpoint, the direction is usually PC first after college. Going from WE to PC makes you seem lost; might as well take the entrepreneurship route if you just want to get out of the cube.

You also are not guaranteed to get your top PC destination. Personally I would go to Ross and go to your preferred destinations with an MBA job/internship/student trip.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
ss123456 wrote:
Hi,

Undergrad: Top 5 Engineering School-BS in Mechanical Engineering in Dec. 2008
Working for Fortune 500 Company
So I applied to MIT, Kellogg, HBS and Ross. I got rejected from the first 3 and admitted into Ross. I have a few questions regarding my current situation:

-Is it worth waiting 2 years to get an HBS mba or Kellogg, etc over a Ross MBA
-Is it better for my resume for schools like HBS to continue my job and get a promotion (I am in line for one) or go to the peace corps
**Having said that I do want to do the PC because I feel I would really enjoy it; and this is the best time (no family/no obligations/no loans). I've heard if I don't have a good reason for switching from Industry to volunteer it can hurt my application.

-If I do go to Ross; is it worth applying for the White House page program over a paying summer internship (I really do not know what direction I want my career to go).
**I assume having 1600 Pennsylvania Ave on the resume is helpful; but will it make a big impression if I decide I want to go back into industry or banking/consulting after I graduate

I know these questions are all over the map. But any advise would be great!
Thanks in advance.

These are great questions to ask, but if you have this much uncertainty, then doing the PC and reapplying is probably the way to go. You would definitely get a lot out of Ross, but it might be better to really look at your overall goals.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
ss123456 wrote:
Hi,

So I applied to MIT, Kellogg, HBS and Ross. I got rejected from the first 3 and admitted into Ross. I have a few questions regarding my current situation:

-Is it better for my resume for schools like HBS to continue my job and get a promotion (I am in line for one) or go to the peace corps
**Having said that I do want to do the PC because I feel I would really enjoy it; and this is the best time (no family/no obligations/no loans). I've heard if I don't have a good reason for switching from Industry to volunteer it can hurt my application.

-If I do go to Ross; is it worth applying for the White House page program over a paying summer internship (I really do not know what direction I want my career to go).
**I assume having 1600 Pennsylvania Ave on the resume is helpful; but will it make a big impression if I decide I want to go back into industry or banking/consulting after I graduate

Thanks in advance.

I don't think the Peace Corps will hurt you at all. Don't all these schools value community and public service? The Peace Corps fits that bill.

Michigan is not as prestigious as HBS and Kellogg, I agree. But it's still an elite school and it's not the MBA version of going to Ross instead of Nordstrom (see my pun?).

The big issue I think you have is that you got into a b school and don't know what you want to do after. That's fine, but like others said, are you trying to get this degree just to get the degree or trying to make it work for your career afterwards?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
method wrote:
Maybe Ross would give you a deferral to do PC. Then you can come back, reapply to whatever other schools you like, and if it doesn't work, Ross is ready to go.

Method, how come you will be a class of 2015 of Ross?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ss123456 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

I would say get in Ross this year. Ross is a GREAT school and you will have all kinds of opportunities in front of you. and you can decide what to do while attending Ross.

Like others said, application is pretty random. There is no garantee that you will get in a school better than Ross or EVEN Ross in 2 years when you apply.
Director
Director
Send PM
mustin2012 wrote:
method wrote:
Maybe Ross would give you a deferral to do PC. Then you can come back, reapply to whatever other schools you like, and if it doesn't work, Ross is ready to go.

I'm in a special program for people interested in beer consumption and lazy Sundays. Haha, no seriously, I'm a dual degree candidate with the Ford School of Public Policy, and the whole thing takes three years. You have to walk with both degrees at the same time, so I'll be 2015 Ross and Ford.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
method wrote:
mustin2012 wrote:
method wrote:

I'm in a special program for people interested in beer consumption and lazy Sundays. Haha, no seriously, I'm a dual degree candidate with the Ford School of Public Policy, and the whole thing takes three years. You have to walk with both degrees at the same time, so I'll be 2015 Ross and Ford.

lol, GOOD for you! Now you will get two degrees and enjoy AA for one more year!
If you program is beer "consumption and lazy Sundays"(there is such program for real? lol), will you be working in this area after your graudation? I guess this is the area you are currently working on.
Director
Director
Send PM
mustin2012 wrote:
lol, GOOD for you! Now you will get two degrees and enjoy AA for one more year!
If you program is beer "consumption and lazy Sundays"(there is such program for real? lol), will you be working in this area after your graudation? I guess this is the area you are currently working on.

Haha thanks. But for real, at Ross everyone is on the beer consumption track, it's part of the mandatory general management curriculum.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts