Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:31 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Rotman and Schulik : How good are they and how good are my chances ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sujoshk:

Our pleasure. You bring a very unique background, which could work in your favor if you play your cards right.

Can you give us more information about your undergraduate performance? What about extracurricular activities at school or after school (not at work)?

Any more color on your background is helpful. You should look at other posts throughout GMAT Club to give you a sense for the detail people share when asking for a profile review and/or their chances at certain schools.

Also, what do you want to study at these schools? What are your post-MBA goals?

Lots to fill in here, so please post again when ready.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Rotman and Schulik : How good are they and how good are my chances ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sujoshk wrote:
Hey everyone,

Im an Indian with 8 years of experience and looking to change my field and country. Also, looking for a b school that is reasonably good and could possibly give me a good scholarship.
I found Rotman and Schulich to be some good b schools in Canada. My gmat score is 740 ( q48 v42 ).

How good are these schools with regards to reputation and ultimately job offers ? Also, how good are my chances at securing a good scholarship ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Regards,
Sujosh

Hello sujoshk,

Trust you are doing well.

Both Rotman and Schulich are highly reputed programs in Canada and while your differentiated experience will be a value add, we would really need to know more pertaining to your professional achievements, extra-curricular activities, post-MBA goals, etc to provide you with a detailed profile evaluation.

The only issue we really see is the 8 years of professional experience you hold with regard to your chances at Rotman as the school tends to prefer slightly younger candidates. Having said that, if you make the most of your differentiated profile and put forth a set of compelling essays, we see no harm at all in giving this a try.

Should you feel the need for a detailed profile evaluation, please feel free to message us and we will take it forward.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado wrote:
sujoshk:

Our pleasure. You bring a very unique background, which could work in your favor if you play your cards right.

Can you give us more information about your undergraduate performance? What about extracurricular activities at school or after school (not at work)?

Any more color on your background is helpful. You should look at other posts throughout GMAT Club to give you a sense for the detail people share when asking for a profile review and/or their chances at certain schools.

Dear Admissionado,

For the most part I was not a great performer in college. Mostly have been around 70% ( 2.8 GPA ). It is my career where I shined through leadership and operational excellence, quality assurance ( used six sigma concepts on a daily and quantifiable basis ) to refine processes and improve efficiencies while also honing the creative aspect of the craft itself. As a chef in a management role, I had to tend to the business side of things such as
menu engineering ( data about the sales and margins of various dishes on the menu and using this information to take decisions to knock off or upsell individual dishes ),
customer quality feedback reports
banquet rate negotiations in conjunction with sales,
statutory compliances, food safety audits and luxury standard audits
curating food promotions and food festival while doing the relative profit and loss analysis
food cost report, projections etc

I had a fairly large portfolio and team to handle.

Had a busy covid experience. Creating and implementing new protocols and food safety standards. We also tied up with hospitals and made a contactless food service design for infected patients. We also underwent relevant audits and passed them with flying colors. Covid demanded that we innovate and pull business and so we were one of the first luxury hotel chains to foray into the food delivery business in the peak of covid. I have directly been part of all of this stuff.

With regards to hobbies, I am a musician and have been learning to play the piano. Mostly been playing classical pieces such as nocturnes of chopin, a bit of liszt here and there. My first instrument was the guitar.

There was a significant community involvement in my case as well as diverse cultural interaction. I have changed about 8 schools and stayed in 8 different cities during the course of my school life. All of these cities were in different states and each of these states had a different native language and culture. I had to learn to adapt. My father is a retired colonel of the army and we had to learn to adapt. There was no choice. Corporate social responsibility makes up a big part of the activities of my previous organization. I was intimately involved with the same. We used to run a program to train people from very humble backgrounds in order to enable them to find work in the industry. We did relief operations during the 2015 chennai floods.

There are a few stories like the ones above...

As for my post mba goals, I was hoping to get into either operations or consulting. I have a strength in improving processes and have intimately worked with people on a day to day basis. In fact people are the biggest asset for a hotel. Understanding and working with available talent has made me a decent judge of human potential. Body language and culture building were a major part of my job. I feel like hospitality doesn't have a whole lot to offer me anymore. I want to move onto a different industry. So yes, it is going to be a career shift for the most part.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Rotman and Schulik : How good are they and how good are my chances ? [#permalink]
sujoshk wrote:
Admissionado wrote:
sujoshk:

Dear Admissionado,

For the most part I was not a great performer in college. Mostly have been around 70% ( 2.8 GPA ). It is my career where I shined through leadership and operational excellence, quality assurance ( used six sigma concepts on a daily and quantifiable basis ) to refine processes and improve efficiencies while also honing the creative aspect of the craft itself. As a chef in a management role, I had to tend to the business side of things such as
menu engineering ( data about the sales and margins of various dishes on the menu and using this information to take decisions to knock off or upsell individual dishes ),
curating food promotions and food festival while doing the relative profit and loss analysis

Had a busy covid experience. Creating and implementing new protocols and food safety standards. We also tied up with hospitals and made a contactless food service design for infected patients. We also underwent relevant audits and passed them with flying colors. Covid demanded that we innovate and pull business and so we were one of the first luxury hotel chains to foray into the food delivery business in the peak of covid. I have directly been part of all of this stuff.

With regards to hobbies, I am a musician and have been learning to play the piano. Mostly been playing classical pieces such as nocturnes of chopin, a bit of liszt here and there. My first instrument was the guitar.

There was a significant community involvement in my case as well as diverse cultural interaction. I have changed about 8 schools and stayed in 8 different cities during the course of my school life. All of these cities were in different states and each of these states had a different native language and culture. I had to learn to adapt. My father is a retired colonel of the army and we had to learn to adapt. There was no choice. Corporate social responsibility makes up a big part of the activities of my previous organization. I was intimately involved with the same. We used to run a program to train people from very humble backgrounds in order to enable them to find work in the industry. We did relief operations during the 2015 chennai floods.

As for my post mba goals, I was hoping to get into either operations or consulting. I have a strength in improving processes and have intimately worked with people on a day to day basis. In fact people are the biggest asset for a hotel. Understanding and working with available talent has made me a decent judge of human potential. Body language and culture building were a major part of my job. I feel like hospitality doesn't have a whole lot to offer me anymore. I want to move onto a different industry. So yes, it is going to be a career shift for the most part.

Hi sujoshk hope this finds you in good health

You have a unique background in managing back operations and personnel for a busy hotel restaurant. Your B School essays would be critical in addressing how you plan to align your future goals with your past experience, collating your learnings over the years. For you, I see immense potential in exploring food retail or multi-functional rotational programs which give exposure to businesses both in-restaurant and in the corporate offices (Read about RBI MBA leadership program). Operations management in food tech can also be a great option. But first you must research on the pipeline for such jobs at your target colleges and your targeted geography. I suggest you reach out to the schools you have on your mind and potential recruiters to candidly discuss your prospects post MBA. Doing all the foundational work now would help you put forth a strong application and show yourself as a conscientious applicant.
I also suggest that you consider some programs in Europe to broaden your options (Cambridge, Oxford, IE, ESSADE, IESE and HEC Paris) as these schools tend to see more diversity in terms of students' background and years of professional experience, and have established pipelines for feeding into operations roles in Europe.

Feel free to reach out should you need guidance.

Best wishes
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
sujoshk:

Thanks for providing all of this additional information. Your background continues to fascinate us.

I wouldn't worry too much about your GPA. You are going to be categorized as a "non-traditional" candidate and happened to have a strong GPA. That should give you credibility. Still, you are going to want to address your GPA in the optional essays with a strong justification of your performance and how you will handle the academic rigors of whatever MBA program you end up attending.

The key for you overall is going to be finding the right ways throughout your application of folding in these anecdotes and tying it all together with a clear voice. Fortunately, we can help you if you would like. My team and I have a great strategy for building a person's profile from the bottom-up, meaning we take all of the unique building blocks that make up your life (personally and professionally) and design a narrative that speaks to your individuality. It takes time but it's much more effective in the long run.

Do not hesitate to reach out for a free consultation if you are interested. We can discuss your entire profile in more depth and walk you through the effectiveness of our consulting services.

https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Rotman and Schulik : How good are they and how good are my chances ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi, sujoshk,

Thank you for your post!

First, I would like to congratulate you on backing a 740 in your GMAT; that's quite exceptional! It looks like you have a strong mathematical foundation (if not, it's more of an achievement). Moreover, you have a good amount of relevant work experience, and I'm sure you won't be short of stellar leadership examples in your long tenure.

About your profile, since you want a career change after your MBA, you need to give strong reasons why you think it's a good time for you to switch? What are your aims & aspirations regarding your career switch? Which industries are you interested in and why? And finally, how would you link your past experiences and skill-set with this new role? For your reference, I suggest you go through our article on How you can justify your career switch to pursue an MBA for a career change!, this would help provide insights and help you jot down the pros and cons of making a career switch. Furthermore, I want to understand your stand on EMBA, as it seems perfect for your profile. Therefore, I suggest you go through our article on Top Executive MBA Programs, this would most certainly help provide insights and help you jot down the pros and cons of an EMBA curriculum.

Regarding your questions, statistics-wise, I believe you are a good candidate for both programs. However, to gauge your chances at scholarships, we would like more information about your academic background, GPA, work industry, ECAs, and leadership examples, as both the target schools are Top Canadian schools, with no short on stellar profiles. Hence, it's crucial for you to give points strictly based on logic and statistics to convince them that you are fit for the program! We would like to know more about your profile to gauge your chances better. If you'd like, we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and further help you with your strategy for your target programs, feel free to book a free session with us at your convenience.

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Profile Analyst & Channel Manager, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com

sujoshk wrote:
Hey everyone,

Im an Indian with 8 years of experience and looking to change my field and country. Also, looking for a b school that is reasonably good and could possibly give me a good scholarship.
I found Rotman and Schulich to be some good b schools in Canada. My gmat score is 740 ( q48 v42 ).

How good are these schools with regards to reputation and ultimately job offers ? Also, how good are my chances at securing a good scholarship ?

Regards,
Sujosh
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
sujoshk wrote:

Great stories.
Answering your subject question directly, you have a strong profile for the Top 15 schools in US. Schulich is way lower than what you should be applying to. Rotman is a good reach, but for reasons other than your application, in your place I would also apply to a few others as well to play my chances better.

Being an Indian myself, I also have reasons to believe your 70% converted to CGPA would really go much higher, though the good news is regardless of what it is, there are ways to shine it better. Additionally, your GMAT score helps compensate any residual concerns. Much of your application would really depend really upon the way you tie your stories together. Read the 45+ recommendations on my LinkedIn page to get a sense of what my clients have had to say.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
sujoshk wrote:
Hey everyone,

Regards,
Sujosh

Hey Sujosh,
your profile is pretty amazing. Rotman and Schulich both are one of the best B-Schools of Canada so you can imagine their reputation not just in Canada but worldwide as well.
Hence they recruit well.
Your other concern is scholarship, it is pretty difficult getting a fully funded scholarship but you can definitely apply to scholarships provided by universities and even look for sponsors.
I would like to mention one more thing here, you scored 740 in your GMAT which is pretty impressive, I would suggest you to apply to schools outside of Canada as well.
As your concern is about founding employment afterward, I would say you should target European schools as there getting a work visa is pretty easy

Hence you should target schools: LBS, LSE, HEC , ESSEC , EDHEC

Overall I would say you have a pretty decent profile. Make an application that no schools can reject.

If you would like, we can help you with essays and SOPs and other application processes.

We have helped over 5000 students get admit into their dream schools.
If you would like we can set up a free consulting session with you at your convenience

You can set up a Free consulting session with our experts through the link provided:
BOOK YOUR FREE SESSION

In this FREE call, you will be getting:

a)Deep Profile Evaluation: Strengths and Weaknesses

b)Ideal Target Schools for your Profile

c) Timeline for your Applications

d) 3X Admit Chances

_______
Abhyank Srinet
Founder and Head Consultant at MiM Essay

97% Success Rate| 5000+ Admits in Top Schools| 5 Million Euros in Scholarships
GMAT Club Bot