Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Current Student
 Q35  V48
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
 Q35  V48
Send PM
Re: Rotman Vs. Schulich [#permalink]
Thanks so much DrSatisfaction

I went to see both schools last week and still nothing stood out for one school or another.

UofT has a great location, no doubt, but the Rotman MBA school seems so small! I love the cohort based learning system they have, but it scares me a little that their brand management major only offered 10 courses to choose from last year, some of which are quite dry like Data Marketing or Financial Marketing. I am wondering if they are eager to get me because I would be such a fish out of water for them. When I went, the admissions staff seemed a little un-eager to answer some of my questions (like about how their job placement and career track for brand management majors has been). There is no doubt in my mind that they have a strong bias towards finance kids as they have a complete mockup of the TSX (very impressive, but not my main interest). However, it seems the lifestyle at Rotman is a little more communal, making it easier to meet people (more social clubs, cohort-style class setting, international tours etc.)

York is totally in hillbilly country and I definitely would live closer to Downtown, already causing a *complain* of a commute every day. However, when I went to Schulich they seemed way more excited to see me than Rotman - they had me meet with the Arts & Media Management program director and they have several marketing streams that you can major in. You can also have a double concentration in Arts & Media Management and Marketing, which seems nice. However, and I have no clue to say this so I sound politically correct, but from what I have read, Schulich is very internationally based and has about 50% of the students coming from abroad, which makes class discussions a little more jumbled. I would also be worried about meeting people on campus. A student ambassador told me that the students have a bar night every Friday and there are club socials almost every day on campus, but it would still be harder to make connections.

From what I can tell, both programs are interchangeable for top spot in Canada (I kinda think of York as Stanford and UofT as Harvard for Canada), but I am having a real tough time choosing which one will be better during and after school. I would love to get a job in high-concept brand management, and I have no clue whether Rotman, as the international leader in Canada for MBA status and what looks like a more communal feel, is better, or Schulich with more choices in classes in Marketing and a reputation (from what their admissions director told me) as the leading marketing school in Canada.

Any thoughts from your end? Have you known anyone who came out of either school? Any guidance or insight you might have is greatly appreciated! My York offer expires on Weds (the 31st) and my UofT offer expires on the 3rd (following Sunday).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
i know several grads from both programs. rotman is definitely more finance focused.

i currently work in an major advertising agency, and the group account director i work with is a schulich mba grad. judging from his case, i'd say he's not as quantitative as the rotman guys, but he's got much better social and people management skills (but then again that's more of a personality thing than anything you can learn in a classroom). one of the managers at our client is also a schulich mba, and she seems to be quite happy with the program. although, i might add, her position is laterally comparable to mine, which means she was not able to get a career promotion with the schulich mba, but rather just switch careers from IT to advertising.

this might be a bit late now, but it would be worth your while to consider the ivey program. you'll have to wait a yr but it's only a 1 yr program and you can still finish the same time as rotman or schulich. the senior vp at my company is an ivey grad and i really think they're the best in canada in terms of reputation and job placement.

i think a major factor to consider here is that, for something like marketing/brand mgmt, your work experiences and personality (esp your ability to maintain relationships and manage ppl/lead teams) carries a lot more weight than the pedigree of your mba. for instance, my vp here didn't even go to university as far as i know...got her college diploma and worked hard in the agency world for about 15 yrs and made it to vp. alot of the account executives/supervisors/directors also only have college diplomas. so while getting an mba will undoubtedly increase your profile and fast track your career, it wouldn't be such a big deal choosing between rotman vs. schulich. in other words, with either mba you'll be plenty qualified for the career you're looking for.
Current Student
 Q35  V48
Send PM
Thanks so much!

After mulling over the decision, I think by tomorrow I should be ready to put a deposit down :)

Thanks for your help!

BTW, I can't believe you got into both INSEAD and Oxford; good job!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi guys...

Got admitted to Schulich but dinged on scholarships... :( Wondering how to manage?? Any suggestons / options???How hefty is the expenses??Will it be easy to mange with loans alone??
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Aishwarya1985 wrote:
Hi guys...

Got admitted to Schulich but dinged on scholarships... :( Wondering how to manage?? Any suggestons / options???How hefty is the expenses??Will it be easy to mange with loans alone??

Great!! Congrats for the admission. Could you please share your profile and Gmat score.
Current Student
 Q35  V48
Send PM
I went to York to meet their admissions people after I was admitted. They told me scholarships are awarded on a rolling basis and you could receive one at any time.

Don't fret on that.

Otherwise, York is the most affordable of the big three in Canada (Ivey, Schulich, and Rotman) and if you're in Canada, RBC offers a line of credit of $70k to Schulich MBA students. That pretty much takes care of most of your tuition and living expenses.

Congratulations! I chose York and put my deposit down last week and hope to see you in person this August!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Aishwarya1985 wrote:
Hi guys...

Great!! Congrats for the admission. Could you please share your profile and Gmat score.

My profile :-

GMAT- 690
Work Ex -3.5yrs
Industry-IT
Ecademics-commendable
Extracurriculars- Above average
Intern
Intern
Send PM
krussell wrote:
I went to York to meet their admissions people after I was admitted. They told me scholarships are awarded on a rolling basis and you could receive one at any time.

Don't fret on that.

Otherwise, York is the most affordable of the big three in Canada (Ivey, Schulich, and Rotman) and if you're in Canada, RBC offers a line of credit of $70k to Schulich MBA students. That pretty much takes care of most of your tuition and living expenses.

Congratulations! I chose York and put my deposit down last week and hope to see you in person this August!

But does RBC offer loans to international students??
Current Student
 Q35  V48
Send PM
Aishwarya1985 wrote:
krussell wrote:

Don't fret on that.

Beats me! Where do you hail from?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
krussell wrote:
Aishwarya1985 wrote:
krussell wrote:

Don't fret on that.

Beats me! Where do you hail from?

Am from India !!!
Current Student
 Q35  V48
Send PM
Kudos
I have no idea then!

But I did just get a scholarship today after being admitted March 3, so keep your chin up!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi krussell,

How did you find Schulich eventually? Have you started?

cheers,
jason
GMAT Club Bot