GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 13:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Rotman ($$) Vs Wash Olin ($$) Vs Cox ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Rotman ($$) Vs Wash Olin ($$) Vs Cox ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 02:29
Hi all

I am a Canadian citizen living in Europe. Although I have never lived in Canada.

I have the following three offers:

Rotman (CAD$30K Scholarship) - I can also get government grants taking it to essentially $50k off the course. I can also get a very low interest rate loan from the bank to cover the rest of the fees. I have already paid the CAD$5k deposit.

Wash U Olin ($75k scholarship) - I'd be relying on a very high APR loan from Prodigy Finance for the rest.

SMU Cox ($60k scholarship) - I'd be relying on a very high APR loan from Prodigy finance for the rest.

Initially I was ready to relocate permanently to Canada with my partner, who has a work visa for Canada. However, now I am leaning towards Olin due to the high scholarship and the high graduation salaries. I am, though, concerned about the Trump regime and what he is seeking to do to immigrant visas. Maybe after I graduate it would be even harder to get a work visa and I'd be forced to return home with an MBA from a uni that isn't that well known outside of the states. Plus a load of debt...

I am also looking to change careers, geography and job function. A big ask...

Rotman pros:
Low risk
Good for relationship
Best MBA in Canada
Facilitates permanent move to Canada
Well known uni internationally

Rotman cons:
Low avg starting salaries

Olin pros:
High starting salaries
Top 20 US programme
Slightly lower overall fees

Olin cons:
High APR loan
Not too well known outside of the states
High risk (due to visa)
Will screw up relationship
St Louis...

Cox pros:
Englishman living in Dallas (party time)

Cox cons:
As above for Olin + less well known than Wash U

Advice welcome!!!!

Apologies for typos. On phone.

Posted from my mobile device

Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Rotman ($$) Vs Wash Olin ($$) Vs Cox ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 09:42
Kohi1990 wrote:
Hi all

I am a Canadian citizen living in Europe. Although I have never lived in Canada.

Rotman (CAD$30K Scholarship) - I can also get government grants taking it to essentially $50k off the course. I can also get a very low interest rate loan from the bank to cover the rest of the fees. I have already paid the CAD$5k deposit.

Wash U Olin ($75k scholarship) - I'd be relying on a very high APR loan from Prodigy Finance for the rest.

SMU Cox ($60k scholarship) - I'd be relying on a very high APR loan from Prodigy finance for the rest.

Initially I was ready to relocate permanently to Canada with my partner, who has a work visa for Canada. However, now I am leaning towards Olin due to the high scholarship and the high graduation salaries. I am, though, concerned about the Trump regime and what he is seeking to do to immigrant visas. Maybe after I graduate it would be even harder to get a work visa and I'd be forced to return home with an MBA from a uni that isn't that well known outside of the states. Plus a load of debt...

Rotman pros:
Low risk
Good for relationship
Best MBA in Canada

Rotman cons:

Olin pros:
High starting salaries
Top 20 US programme

Olin cons:
High APR loan
High risk (due to visa)
St Louis...

Cox pros:

Cox cons:

Advice welcome!!!!

Hi Kohi,

Very interesting question.

First of all congrats on offers.

Regarding school reputation I would not even consider SMU Cox. Had to Google it to see what it is :)
On your personal side if you find it to be vibrant environment to live and that is critical to you that's another story, I will not comment that, except that Dallas is indeed great city/metropolitan area to live. I agree on that and I can go there easily to live/work/study.

Now lets see another perspective.

I would go to Rotman, that's one of mine schools on list. But that's just me. You already know that's top school in Canada.

The way I see it, you actually have dilemma US. vs Canada, not Rotman vs. Olin and you have relationship to maintain.

First of all, I disagree about Olin cons, like not well known outside US, as you already post it is US top 20, and that speaks for itself.

For Canadian born citizen, who actually grow up in Canada, change of state for US would be very positive, but since you lived in Europe all of your life, and you already have Canadian passport which will for sure make you life much easier plus your partner can and will work there. That's awesome advantage.

Forget Trump, don't even think about it, since nobody can predicts what he will eventually do and how long it will last, but it is not in US interest to hamper well educated people to stay there. In my opinion that either will not ever happen or will not last very long.

It comes to this, where you want to live and work after your MBA experience ? Canada, US, Europe ? Will your partner support any of your decision ? In that relationship is it marriage near, at sight, is your partner marriage material ?

If you decide to go to Rotman, that is great secure country, awesome city, top program, partner can work, you can settle there, you have citizenship, no risk at all.

If you go to Olin, you will have one of kind experience, great business school, more perspective to stay in US afterwards, as you said possible greater salary and you can always go to Canada since that will always be your country and not lose a thing. Maybe more risk and maybe more reward.

Whatever you choose you cannot make a mistake.

Then again there is partying in Dallas :) if you want to make that year or two more memorable and less stressful :)

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Rotman ($$) Vs Wash Olin ($$) Vs Cox ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 03:30
billionaire wrote:
Kohi1990 wrote:
Hi all

Rotman pros:
Low risk
Good for relationship
Best MBA in Canada

Rotman cons:

Olin pros:
High starting salaries
Top 20 US programme

Olin cons:
High APR loan
High risk (due to visa)
St Louis...

Cox pros:

Cox cons:

Advice welcome!!!!

Hi Kohi,

Very interesting question.

First of all congrats on offers.

Regarding school reputation I would not even consider SMU Cox. Had to Google it to see what it is :)
On your personal side if you find it to be vibrant environment to live and that is critical to you that's another story, I will not comment that, except that Dallas is indeed great city/metropolitan area to live. I agree on that and I can go there easily to live/work/study.

Now lets see another perspective.

I would go to Rotman, that's one of mine schools on list. But that's just me. You already know that's top school in Canada.

The way I see it, you actually have dilemma US. vs Canada, not Rotman vs. Olin and you have relationship to maintain.

First of all, I disagree about Olin cons, like not well known outside US, as you already post it is US top 20, and that speaks for itself.

For Canadian born citizen, who actually grow up in Canada, change of state for US would be very positive, but since you lived in Europe all of your life, and you already have Canadian passport which will for sure make you life much easier plus your partner can and will work there. That's awesome advantage.

Forget Trump, don't even think about it, since nobody can predicts what he will eventually do and how long it will last, but it is not in US interest to hamper well educated people to stay there. In my opinion that either will not ever happen or will not last very long.

It comes to this, where you want to live and work after your MBA experience ? Canada, US, Europe ? Will your partner support any of your decision ? In that relationship is it marriage near, at sight, is your partner marriage material ?

If you decide to go to Rotman, that is great secure country, awesome city, top program, partner can work, you can settle there, you have citizenship, no risk at all.

If you go to Olin, you will have one of kind experience, great business school, more perspective to stay in US afterwards, as you said possible greater salary and you can always go to Canada since that will always be your country and not lose a thing. Maybe more risk and maybe more reward.

Whatever you choose you cannot make a mistake.

Then again there is partying in Dallas :) if you want to make that year or two more memorable and less stressful :)

Thanks! Super helpful reply and helps me view the situation from what are quite specific circumstances. I am leaning more towards Rotman, I think, even though Canadian salaries are significantly lower than US ones.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Rotman ($$) Vs Wash Olin ($$) Vs Cox ($$) &nbs [#permalink] 26 Mar 2018, 03:30

Rotman ($$) Vs Wash Olin ($$) Vs Cox ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap