GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Aug 2020, 03:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ruined test day.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 May 2020
Posts: 15
Ruined test day.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2020, 06:32
I took the gmat today and I was devastated to see 650 on the screen. I didn't expect anything less than 720(That was the bare minimum I was expecting)
50 in quant.
28 in verbal.
I couldn't understand the easiest of the questions, I reread every steam for like 3-4 times in verbal section.
The same case was in the quant section but once I wrote down the numbers in the question on the sketch pad, my hands got the answer for me.
All in all my heart was pounding like a drum, more than the question, I was concentrating on my heart beat. I ruined the day.

MY MOCK SCORES ARE AS FOLLOWS :=

MGMAT 1: - 21st april, 2020 :- 580 Q44 V26
MGMAT 2: - 29th april, 2020 :- 680 Q49 V34
MGMAT 3: - 4th may, 2020 :- 650 Q45 V34
Expert's global 1:- 5th may, 2020 :- 640 Q46 V32
MGMAT 4: - 7th may, 2020 :- 710 Q48 V38
MGMAT 5: - 8th may, 2020 :- 710 Q49 V37
Official GMATPREP 1: - 27th may, 2020 :- 730 Q49 V40
Official GMATPREP 2: - 29th may, 2020 :- 710 Q50 V36
Expert's global 2:- 31st may, 2020 :- 200 Q6 V6 (had to leave it)
Expert's global 3:- 1st june, 2020 :- 720 Q49 V38
Expert's global 4:- 3rd june, 2020 :- 710 Q48 V39
Expert's global 5:- 5th june, 2020 :- 740 Q50 V40
Expert's global 6:- 8th june, 2020 :- 720 Q50 V36
Expert's global 7:- 12th june, 2020 :- 680 Q49 V33
Expert's global 8:- 15th june, 2020 :- 700 Q48 V37
Expert's global 9:- 17th june, 2020 :- 720 Q49 V39
Expert's global 10:- 19th june, 2020 :- 710 Q48 V39
Expert's global 11:- 21st june, 2020 :- 700 Q49 V36
Expert's global 12:- 24th june, 2020 :- 760 Q49 V44
Expert's global 13:- 26th june, 2020 :- 720 Q49 V39
Expert's global 14:- 28th june, 2020 :- 760 Q50 V42
Expert's global 15:- 30th june, 2020 :- 700 Q49 V36


Anxiety and nervousness got the best of me. I am planning to retake the exam at the earliest. It will be really helpful to know how to cope with the nervousness.
Bunuel generis GMATNinja
HBS Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 1098
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Ruined test day.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2020, 06:57
41396302717 wrote:
I took the gmat today and I was devastated to see 650 on the screen. I didn't expect anything less than 720(That was the bare minimum I was expecting)
50 in quant.
28 in verbal.
I couldn't understand the easiest of the questions, I reread every steam for like 3-4 times in verbal section.
The same case was in the quant section but once I wrote down the numbers in the question on the sketch pad, my hands got the answer for me.
All in all my heart was pounding like a drum, more than the question, I was concentrating on my heart beat. I ruined the day.

MY MOCK SCORES ARE AS FOLLOWS :=

MGMAT 1: - 21st april, 2020 :- 580 Q44 V26
MGMAT 2: - 29th april, 2020 :- 680 Q49 V34
MGMAT 3: - 4th may, 2020 :- 650 Q45 V34
Expert's global 1:- 5th may, 2020 :- 640 Q46 V32
MGMAT 4: - 7th may, 2020 :- 710 Q48 V38
MGMAT 5: - 8th may, 2020 :- 710 Q49 V37
Official GMATPREP 1: - 27th may, 2020 :- 730 Q49 V40
Official GMATPREP 2: - 29th may, 2020 :- 710 Q50 V36
Expert's global 2:- 31st may, 2020 :- 200 Q6 V6 (had to leave it)
Expert's global 3:- 1st june, 2020 :- 720 Q49 V38
Expert's global 4:- 3rd june, 2020 :- 710 Q48 V39
Expert's global 5:- 5th june, 2020 :- 740 Q50 V40
Expert's global 6:- 8th june, 2020 :- 720 Q50 V36
Expert's global 7:- 12th june, 2020 :- 680 Q49 V33
Expert's global 8:- 15th june, 2020 :- 700 Q48 V37
Expert's global 9:- 17th june, 2020 :- 720 Q49 V39
Expert's global 10:- 19th june, 2020 :- 710 Q48 V39
Expert's global 11:- 21st june, 2020 :- 700 Q49 V36
Expert's global 12:- 24th june, 2020 :- 760 Q49 V44
Expert's global 13:- 26th june, 2020 :- 720 Q49 V39
Expert's global 14:- 28th june, 2020 :- 760 Q50 V42
Expert's global 15:- 30th june, 2020 :- 700 Q49 V36


Anxiety and nervousness got the best of me. I am planning to retake the exam at the earliest. It will be really helpful to know how to cope with the nervousness.
Bunuel generis GMATNinja

A few videos on being cool, reading books such as how to stop worrying and start living are all great.
In Business Schools they teach u to cope with nervousness in this way-
You can start by going to a quiet place alone (Because what you are about to do will make people think you are a fool- so best be alone)
Then take long deep breaths, 10 Breaths complete inhalation from nose and exhalation from mouth.
Make a wide EEEEEEEEE with your lips and look yourself in the mirror.
And think of nothing, just tell yourself that multiple attempts of GMAT with an increase in score is considered a symbol of persistence by Business Schools and I will just go in there and do what I do regularly and get a 720+.

There is NLP technique too but it is too hard to master and is just another word for denial. You really don't want to be in "Denial" as a B-school applicant as it is the opposite of self aware
_________________
Image
Click here -Consulting with Business Conquerer
A consultant that you can find #Relatable. Consult now for free!!
Free Admissions and GMAT consulting "GMAT Club special"
No spams No bullshit; Purely FACT BASED SOCIAL SERVICE
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 03 Jun 2019
Posts: 3362
Location: India
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Ruined test day.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2020, 08:12
Hi 41396302717
If you can think GMAT as a mind game rather than as a hurdle or a burden, your chances of success in GMAT will increase.

Businessconquerer wrote:
41396302717 wrote:
I took the gmat today and I was devastated to see 650 on the screen. I didn't expect anything less than 720(That was the bare minimum I was expecting)
50 in quant.
28 in verbal.
I couldn't understand the easiest of the questions, I reread every steam for like 3-4 times in verbal section.
The same case was in the quant section but once I wrote down the numbers in the question on the sketch pad, my hands got the answer for me.
All in all my heart was pounding like a drum, more than the question, I was concentrating on my heart beat. I ruined the day.

MY MOCK SCORES ARE AS FOLLOWS :=

MGMAT 1: - 21st april, 2020 :- 580 Q44 V26
MGMAT 2: - 29th april, 2020 :- 680 Q49 V34
MGMAT 3: - 4th may, 2020 :- 650 Q45 V34
Expert's global 1:- 5th may, 2020 :- 640 Q46 V32
MGMAT 4: - 7th may, 2020 :- 710 Q48 V38
MGMAT 5: - 8th may, 2020 :- 710 Q49 V37
Official GMATPREP 1: - 27th may, 2020 :- 730 Q49 V40
Official GMATPREP 2: - 29th may, 2020 :- 710 Q50 V36
Expert's global 2:- 31st may, 2020 :- 200 Q6 V6 (had to leave it)
Expert's global 3:- 1st june, 2020 :- 720 Q49 V38
Expert's global 4:- 3rd june, 2020 :- 710 Q48 V39
Expert's global 5:- 5th june, 2020 :- 740 Q50 V40
Expert's global 6:- 8th june, 2020 :- 720 Q50 V36
Expert's global 7:- 12th june, 2020 :- 680 Q49 V33
Expert's global 8:- 15th june, 2020 :- 700 Q48 V37
Expert's global 9:- 17th june, 2020 :- 720 Q49 V39
Expert's global 10:- 19th june, 2020 :- 710 Q48 V39
Expert's global 11:- 21st june, 2020 :- 700 Q49 V36
Expert's global 12:- 24th june, 2020 :- 760 Q49 V44
Expert's global 13:- 26th june, 2020 :- 720 Q49 V39
Expert's global 14:- 28th june, 2020 :- 760 Q50 V42
Expert's global 15:- 30th june, 2020 :- 700 Q49 V36


Anxiety and nervousness got the best of me. I am planning to retake the exam at the earliest. It will be really helpful to know how to cope with the nervousness.
Bunuel generis GMATNinja

A few videos on being cool, reading books such as how to stop worrying and start living are all great.
In Business Schools they teach u to cope with nervousness in this way-
You can start by going to a quiet place alone (Because what you are about to do will make people think you are a fool- so best be alone)
Then take long deep breaths, 10 Breaths complete inhalation from nose and exhalation from mouth.
Make a wide EEEEEEEEE with your lips and look yourself in the mirror.
And think of nothing, just tell yourself that multiple attempts of GMAT with an increase in score is considered a symbol of persistence by Business Schools and I will just go in there and do what I do regularly and get a 720+.

There is NLP technique too but it is too hard to master and is just another word for denial. You really don't want to be in "Denial" as a B-school applicant as it is the opposite of self aware

_________________
Kinshook Chaturvedi
Email: kinshook.chaturvedi@gmail.com
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
V
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 11407
Location: United States (CA)
Re: Ruined test day.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2020, 11:38
Hi 41396302717,

Regarding test anxiety, one great way to combat your nerves is to develop a positive attitude and be confident. You’ve scored as high as a 730 on your official practice exam, right? So, look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are pretty damn good at the GMAT!

To help manage your nerves, you could try some visualization techniques. Imagine various test-day scenarios such as getting stuck on a question, issues in the testing center, feeling pressed for time, or worrying that you’re underperforming. As you feel your stress responses start to kick in when thinking about these things, practice pulling yourself together and visualize focusing on getting correct answers.

When taking the GMAT, the best way to deal with stress is to get busy answering the question in front of you, focusing completely on the task at hand so that you redirect all of that nervous energy and naturally calm down. In other words, you distract yourself with a goal. Just tell yourself that all that matters is getting the correct answer to the question in front of you, and then when you have finished that question, take the same attitude toward the next one. Focus on winning each “mini-battle” and you won't have time for anxiety. If you can win enough of those battles, you can win the GMAT war, right?

Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about How to Eliminate GMAT Test-Day Anxiety.

Good luck with the GMAT, and let us know how things turn out.
_________________

  250 REVIEWS

5-STAR RATED ONLINE GMAT QUANT SELF STUDY COURSE

NOW WITH GMAT VERBAL (BETA)

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 May 2020
Posts: 15
Re: Ruined test day.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2020, 20:06
Will take the exam again in a week or 2, thank you for your inputs guys.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 17283
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Ruined test day.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2020, 07:31
Hi 41396302717,

First off, a 650/Q50 is a solid Score, so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

While you have attributed your score drop on Test Day to anxiety, we have to be careful about assuming that that was the only factor. Before we discuss some of the other potential factors - and before you rush back in to retest - it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Did you take the At-home GMAT or did you take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
2) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
3) What study materials have you used so far?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 May 2020
Posts: 15
Ruined test day.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2020, 08:16
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi 41396302717,

First off, a 650/Q50 is a solid Score, so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

While you have attributed your score drop on Test Day to anxiety, we have to be careful about assuming that that was the only factor. Before we discuss some of the other potential factors - and before you rush back in to retest - it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Did you take the At-home GMAT or did you take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
2) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
3) What study materials have you used so far?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hello EMPOWERgmatRichC
1. I took the test at a pearson vue testing centre.
2. quant I have been studying for past 3 years on and off. I started with verbal about 8-9 months back, and since january I've been giving verbal utmost time and care. Each week I studied for at least 28 hours and this time devotion by the month before the test reached to nearly 50 hours a week.
3. (I'll give a brief on verbal part)
started with manhattanprep as base and then quickly realized it's not enough so moved on to og (including verbal review), and then the grail books(rc, sc, cr) and then I came across a source which had questions of RC nearly (120-150 passages), SC (many questions), CR (many questions). And then finally I turned towards gmatclub, and I seldom got any wrong on the CR (95% hard ones). On the SC (from gmatclub) I was fairly good. On the RCs I wasn't neither too good nor too bad, I was somewhere in the middle with RCs.
I've practiced a lot for the test.
4. I told my parents that if I score anywhere less than 730, I am retaking the test. I didn't know I was gonna be in for a long haul.
5. I am currently enrolled in an undergrad course (2017-21), so I was taking the test to keep aside the score and then start working on my profile.
I want to apply to colleges such as Insead, Yale, columbia, etc. (I wish to go for the 2+2 course).
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 17283
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Ruined test day.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2020, 21:29
Hi 41396302717,

Before you rush back in to retake the GMAT, you might choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

1) Have you scheduled your next GMAT appointment yet (and if you have, then when is it - and are you taking the At-home GMAT or are you taking your Exam at the same Test Center as your 1st attempt)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ruined test day.   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2020, 21:29

Ruined test day.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne