GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 05:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Rutgers $ vs Rochester $$ vs Fordham $$ vs OSU

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 0% [0]
  • 50% [1]
  • 50% [1]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Rutgers $ vs Rochester $$ vs Fordham $$ vs OSU  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 00:18
Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to decide between Rutgers (30% scholarship), Rochester (50%), and Fordham (60%) and am having trouble making a decision. I have also interviewed with OSU, will get a decision soon.

I am a 30-year old Asian male, international. My post MBA goal is to work for a US Fortune 500 company in a corporate finance role. I guess that Rutgers is closest to the City, and it will make internship and job hunting easier. Rochester used to be a higher ranked school, but it ties with Rutgers in the latest US NEWS ranking. Fordham offers the highest scholarship.

OSU is the highest ranked in these four, and I know Columbus pretty well. I am just concerned that it will be not easy to get job opportunities in Midwest.

Could anyone help me out here? Any thought will be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Rutgers $ vs Rochester $$ vs Fordham $$ vs OSU  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 01:27
vincent100 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to decide between Rutgers (30% scholarship), Rochester (50%), and Fordham (60%) and am having trouble making a decision. I have also interviewed with OSU, will get a decision soon.

I am a 30-year old Asian male, international. My post MBA goal is to work for a US Fortune 500 company in a corporate finance role. I guess that Rutgers is closest to the City, and it will make internship and job hunting easier. Rochester used to be a higher ranked school, but it ties with Rutgers in the latest US NEWS ranking. Fordham offers the highest scholarship.

OSU is the highest ranked in these four, and I know Columbus pretty well. I am just concerned that it will be not easy to get job opportunities in Midwest.

Could anyone help me out here? Any thought will be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hi vincent100 ,

First of all congrats vincent100 on receiving those offers.
Now, make no mistakes all those school are approximately the same in rankings, depending which source you use.

#31Tie
Ohio State University (Fisher)

#44Tie
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey—​Newark and New Brunswick

#44Tie
University of Rochester (Simon)
Rochester, NY

#63Tie
Fordham University (Gabelli)

*Source US News.

Now lets change a perspective a little bit.

Ohio State University: Fisher has Weighted salary($)114,120 and 108 Salary increase(%)
Rutgers Business School has Weighted salary($)108,479 and 130 Salary increase(%)
University of Rochester: Simon has Weighted salary($)115,794 and 118 Salary increase(%)
Fordham University: Gabell has stunning Salary today (US$) 145,967 and 48 Salary increase (%)

Moreover, what you wanted to know the most is that:
University of Rochester: Simon has Employed at three months rate of 95 (%)
Rutgers Business School has Employed at three months rate of 94 (%)
Ohio State University: Fisher has Employed at three months rate of 93 (%)

*Source FT.

Finally, Bloomberg in global business school rankings has different opinion :)
33 Rochester (Simon)
37 Ohio State (Fisher)
50 Rutgers
60 Fordham (Gabelli)

Now, pay attention to this, if we ask employers what they think, which is your biggest concern, then Fordham (Gabelli) comes as best choice:
28 Fordham (Gabelli)
38 Rochester (Simon)
41 Ohio State (Fisher)
42 Rutgers

Now here is the bomb, Job placement rank :
2 Rutgers
7 Rochester (Simon)
16 Ohio State (Fisher)
77 Fordham (Gabelli)

Just not to confuse you, best overall business school like Harvard has rank of 35 in Job placement rank :) !
That is possible since Job Placement Rate is only 10% weighted in overall Bloomberg ranking:

Employer Survey (35%)

Job Placement Rate (10%)

Alumni Survey (30%)

Starting Salary (10%)

Student Survey (15%)

To conclude, since you want to work in CF and also work in U.S. Northeast I would go easily with:

1. Fordham (Gabelli)
2. Rutgers/ Rochester
3. Ohio State (Fisher)

That makes even more sense to me, when you rank them according to the scholarship they offered you and in NY or NJ you will be able to gather better network of contacts during studies that will launch you a job after that.
That being said, I don't think you will have a problem with Ohio State (Fisher) to find a job, after all that is sometimes best ranked overall school if that is important to you, but if they don't offer you some scholarship I personally would not consider them as top choice.
Then again maybe money is not issue for you ? And you want just best (ranked) school for your buck ?

Your kudos are much appreciated

GMAT Club Bot
Rutgers $ vs Rochester $$ vs Fordham $$ vs OSU &nbs [#permalink] 22 Apr 2018, 01:27

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap