Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 09-23-2015
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [6]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: Sandeep Gupta - Top One percent guy [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
bowfinger1975

I can assure you that no one has a magic pill that is going to make a radical transformation. Ignore people who make tall claims, it just doesn't work that way. Ultimately, you will have to take the preparation in your hand and be active in seeking out the right resources. You do have a strong quant background which means that you should be in good shape as far as the core concepts are concerned. There will be some areas such as Number Theory that a lot of students are rusty, and you will have to pick up those concepts. But the key thing to remember is that you will need to get a hang of the style and structure of GMAT questions, and to accomplish this just make sure you practice with official GMAT questions.

And samichange also gave you some good advice.

Cheers,
Dabral
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks a lot for taking time time out to reply to my post . My mistake that I haven't given all the details about my preparation in the post ..so here goes :

# I have enrolled for "experts global" material about 4 months back and since I was working I was not able to devote much time .
# Now that my test planning date was about three or so months afar I got serious and was cruising along happily .
# I finished Princeton and Nova Book and was onto Quantam ...when sandeep gupta happened to me on You tube .

I realized that the questions tackled by him was in a different league and which left me looking like super dumb......Now I realize that this can be a trick ...that is to stun a guy with out of the world quant problems in intro class and then rake him home as he runs for cover ......

GMAC , I believe . does not releases its questions in market and thus I think that more than half of the people out there do not know what kind of animal is this . At one side I feel that I shud stick with the study plan and after three months take the dive ....and at the other side I feel what if these guys are wrong and I get a totally different kind of questions in the actual test ...

So I wanted help to decide that which is a course which will train me on actual GMAT level questions ...As far as my background is concerned..as I mentioned I have done my graduation with physics , statistics and mathematics with about 87 percent so I can crack this in 3 months time ...once I know the nature of the beast

and yes.... I want a 750+ score...lets say just for the fun of it...

Thanks
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9243 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dabral gives very good advice above - be absolutely certain you focus on official questions in your study. GMAC has published tons of retired official questions, in the official guides, the GMATPrep question pack, the GMATPrep tests. I have the impression you've not been working through official problems, and you might not be getting a fair impression of what the GMAT is all about.

And I agree with samichange about the importance of the Verbal section. With your background, it's very likely you'll be able to get a high Quant score. If you're aiming for a 750+, it's the Verbal that is the bigger question mark right now. I'd echo samichange's advice - take one of the free GMATPrep tests to discover your level now in Quant and Verbal, so you know how to apportion your study time moving forward. On the Verbal scoring scale (which ranges from 6 to 51), you'll likely need at least a V40 to reach your goal.

I wouldn't normally advise taking a general GMAT class; classes tend to be inefficient for high-level test takers, since a class normally needs to proceed at the pace of the lower level students. Instead you might work with a private tutor if you find self-study is not getting you to your goal. And I agree completely with Dabral - you should be very suspicious of outlandish marketing claims in general, and especially in the GMAT market, where unsubstantiated claims are unfortunately rather common. I know nothing about the person you mention, but I quickly looked at his webpage, and I find at least one of his claims quite misleading. He makes it sound as if a 99th percentile score is rare among experts, and it's not; it's the norm. And if you're aiming for a 750+ score, I'd only advise you study with someone who can consistently score in the 99th percentile in both sections of the test; if someone cannot do that, then they cannot answer many of the questions at the 750+ level, so it's unlikely they'll be able to help you get there.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi bowfinger1975,

Since you've already put in some serious study time, it would be a good idea to get a sense of your current skills. As such, you should plan to take a FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) sometime soon (perhaps this weekend). Once you've finished that CAT, you should report back here with your scores. We can then talk through your study plan going forward.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Thanks a lot for the interest and the support .

As suggested by Rich I will take a full length test and report back but as I am travelling for the next seven days due to work I will be able to do this by 10th July .

Now on a little unrelated topic .....

Guys as you can see this was my first post and I must say that I am overwhelmed by the support of the community here . People who didn't know me at all ..came forward to offer advice and help ..which is an amazing thing to experience .

For the next three months or so I will spend more and more time here and once again I feel that I am pretty lucky to come across this forum .

A big thanks for now ....

Atul
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Hi Guys ,

Apologies for the long break and a missed dead line .

I have taken the diagnostic test and I scored a 30 in verbal and 41 in quant .

Please suggest me the nature of the online course . I have taken a sabbatical kind of thing from work so can real dig it in ..in terms of daily hours .

Any help will be much appreciated .

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Atul,

Now that you've taken your first CAT, we have a basis for comparison. Using these Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores as a reference, you have some serious work to do in BOTH of those sections (to raise your overall score to a 750+). It's been mentioned in earlier posts that you would probably benefit from a Course of some type and I think that advice is still appropriate. The question now is what type of Course is best for YOU.

Do you still have 3 months to commit to studying for the GMAT or has that changed?
When are you planning to take the GMAT?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Atul,

Now that you've taken your first CAT, we have a basis for comparison. Using these Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores as a reference, you have some serious work to do in BOTH of those sections (to raise your overall score to a 750+). It's been mentioned in earlier posts that you would probably benefit from a Course of some type and I think that advice is still appropriate. The question now is what type of Course is best for YOU.

Do you still have 3 months to commit to studying for the GMAT or has that changed?
When are you planning to take the GMAT?

Rich

Hi Rich ,

Thanks for the prompt revert .

I am planning to apply in the second round in B School . What I have seen is that the second round gets over by December to January in most schools . Therefore am looking at my GMAT date as somewhere in the second week of Nov . So I have more than 3 months but at the same time i do not want to go in the test with a book in the hand .

Therefore as I see it I am prepared to put in about 300 hours spread over 2 months starting from August . So I will finish the prep in the last week of September or in the second week of Oct ( budgeting for some unforeseen breaks) and spend the last 15 days before the test , taking it easy and going in some mocks here and there ...generally tying some loose ends .

How does this sounds :)

Thanks

Atul
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Atul,

There really is no 'one-size-fits-all' Study Plan that works perfectly for everyone, so you have to think about how you best study (and the amount of time that you're able to commit), then choose an option that fits those parameters. Academically, I think that spending 300 hours over 2 months is a bit excessive (and you might run the risk of 'burn out'), but it could work for you.

As far as Course options are concerned, Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at out site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional question, then just let me know.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Rich...

As suggested ..I am going to try out some courses and see how it goes....

will post the feedback in this very thread..

Am starting with optimus and empower ...will share he experience in about two days

Atul
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bowfinger1975 wrote:
Thanks Rich...

As suggested ..I am going to try out some courses and see how it goes....

will post the feedback in this very thread..

Am starting with optimus and empower ...will share he experience in about two days

Atul

And here is the first issue .....can I make a online payment since I have recently lost my card and therefore have hot-listed the same ...or may be a debit card .

Thanks

Atul
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Atul,

A debit card should work just fine. If you have specific enrollment questions or technical issues, you can contact the support team at Info@empowergmat.com

Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [2]
Send PM
Sandeep Gupta - Top One percent guy [#permalink]
Kudos
.sandeeps a fraud ....earlier he used to claim he is the only person in the world to get 800 ....then when someone pointed it out to him its nt possible to score 800 he says 770 now . Pluss his classes r pretty much useless .

one must be sooper naive and hav an IQ of a 8yr old to fall fr this marketing gimmick !! creating a an animated gif proves nothing ... pluss its very hard to verify the authenticity of all this facade !... if dont believe me check sandeep guptas old post (if he has already nt removed them )guy has claimed 800 ........ atleast crack verbal took criticism positively and gave proper reasons ..... first step towards improvment is accepting ur faults ...... this guys full of himslf ....he Claims only come to us if u want 760 !! ignorance about gmat exam and the candidates who get 760 is laughable . .... hope u dnt reply and embaress urself more .

Pluss I am not the only one bickering .....check out this post need-advice-gmat-coaching-centres-in-bangalore-india-127884-20.html

The last post .... topOnepercent u guys seriously need to stop al this hubris and focus on teaching.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [5]
Send PM
Kudos