GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 05:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

SC : Confusable words

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior DS Moderator
D
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC : Confusable words  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 07:55
SC - Confusable words Part-17

HOW TO/HOW CAN I
You can ask someone how to publish a novel; but when you do, don't write "How to publish
a novel?" Instead ask "How can I publish a novel?" or "How does someone publish a novel?"
If you're in luck, the person you've asked will tell you how to do it. "How to" belongs in
statements, not questions.

HYPOCRITICAL
"Hypocritical" has a narrow, very specific meaning. It describes behavior or speech that is
intended to make one look better or more pious than one really is. It is often wrongly used to
label people who are merely narrow-minded or genuinely pious. Do not confuse this word
with "hypercritical," which describes people who are picky.

HYSTERICAL/HILARIOUS
People say of a bit of humor or a comical situation that it was "hysterical"--shorthand for
"hysterically funny"--meaning "hilarious." But when you speak of a man being "hysterical" it
means he is having a fit of hysteria, and that may not be funny at all.

I/ME/MYSELF
In the old days when people studied traditional grammar, we could simply say, "The first
person singular pronoun is "I" when it's a subject and "me" when it's an object," but now few
people know what that means.

Win Tests/ Prep Courses- Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Senior DS Moderator
D
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 17:34
SC - Confusable words Part-18

I/ME/MYSELF
In the old days when people studied traditional grammar, we could simply say, "The first
person singular pronoun is "I" when it's a subject and "me" when it's an object,".

IDEA/IDEAL
Any thought can be an idea, but only the best ideas worth pursuing are ideals.

IF I WAS/IF I WERE

The subjunctive mood, always weak in English, has been dwindling away for centuries until it
has almost vanished. According to traditional thought, statements about the conditional
future such as "If I were a carpenter . . . require the subjunctive "were"; but "was" is certainly
much more common. Still, if you want to impress those in the know with your usage, use
"were." The same goes for other pronouns: "you," "she," "he," and "it." In the case of the
plural pronouns "we" and "they" the form "was" is definitely nonstandard, of course, because
it is a singular form.

IGNORANT/STUPID
A person can be ignorant (not knowing some fact or idea) without being stupid (incapable of
learning because of a basic mental deficiency). And those who say, "That's an ignorant idea"
when they mean "stupid idea" are expressing their own ignorance.

Error log/Key Concepts
Free GMAT CATS

Senior DS Moderator
D
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 09:35
SC - Confusable words Part-17

ILLUDE/ELUDE
"Illude" is a very rare word, most of whose former meanings are obsolete, but which can
mean "to deceive, lead astray." But in modern usage this word is almost always used as an
error for "elude," meaning "escape, evade." Similarly, you would be better off avoiding the
word "illusive" and using the much more common word "illusory" to mean "deceptive."
"Illusive" is almost always an error for "elusive."

IMPERTINENT/IRRELEVANT
"Impertinent" looks as if it ought to mean the opposite of "pertinent," and indeed it once did;
but for centuries now its meaning in ordinary speech has been narrowed to "impudent,"
specifically in regard to actions or speech toward someone regarded as socially superior.
Only snobs and very old-fashioned people use "impertinent" correctly; most people would
be well advised to forget it and use "irrelevant" instead to mean the opposite of "pertinent."

IMPLY/INFER
These two words, which originally had quite distinct meanings, have become so blended
together that most people no longer distinguish between them. If you want to avoid irritating
the rest of us, use "imply" when something is being suggested without being explicitly stated
and "infer" when someone is trying to arrive at a conclusion based on evidence. "Imply" is
more assertive, active: I imply that you need to revise your paper; and, based on my hints,
you infer that I didn't think highly of your first draft.

Error log/Key Concepts
Free GMAT CATS

Senior DS Moderator
D
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 01:35
SC - Confusable words Part-18

IN SPITE OF/ DESPITE
Although "in spite of" is perfectly standard English, some people prefer "despite" because it is
shorter. Be careful not to mix the two together by saying "despite of" except as part of the
phrase "in despite of" meaning "in defiance of."

IN THE MIST/IN THE MIDST
When you are surrounded by something, you're in the midst of it—its middle. If you're in a
mist, you're just in a fog.

INCREDULOUS/INCREDIBLE
"When Jessica said that my performance at the karaoke bar had been incredible, I was
incredulous." I hope Jessica was using "incredible" in the casual sense of "unbelievably good"
but I knew I used "incredulous" to mean "unbelieving, skeptical," which is the only standard
usage for this word.

INFACT/IN FACT

"In fact" is always two words.

Error log/Key Concepts
Free GMAT CATS

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 01:18
dear all i have words with all 5 vowels and without vowels ok and i have worked on quwerty key boards and an amazing thinghs bring out
Will share next time.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: SC : Confusable words &nbs [#permalink] 06 Oct 2018, 01:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

SC : Confusable words

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap