GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 16:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

SC : Confusable words

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior DS Moderator
V
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC : Confusable words  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 16:34
SC - Confusable words Part-18

I/ME/MYSELF
In the old days when people studied traditional grammar, we could simply say, "The first
person singular pronoun is "I" when it's a subject and "me" when it's an object,".

IDEA/IDEAL
Any thought can be an idea, but only the best ideas worth pursuing are ideals.

IF I WAS/IF I WERE

The subjunctive mood, always weak in English, has been dwindling away for centuries until it
has almost vanished. According to traditional thought, statements about the conditional
future such as "If I were a carpenter . . . require the subjunctive "were"; but "was" is certainly
much more common. Still, if you want to impress those in the know with your usage, use
"were." The same goes for other pronouns: "you," "she," "he," and "it." In the case of the
plural pronouns "we" and "they" the form "was" is definitely nonstandard, of course, because
it is a singular form.

IGNORANT/STUPID
A person can be ignorant (not knowing some fact or idea) without being stupid (incapable of
learning because of a basic mental deficiency). And those who say, "That's an ignorant idea"
when they mean "stupid idea" are expressing their own ignorance.

Win GMAT CLUB Test- Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
Weekly Quant Quiz Questions- Direct Download
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Senior DS Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 08:35
SC - Confusable words Part-17

ILLUDE/ELUDE
"Illude" is a very rare word, most of whose former meanings are obsolete, but which can
mean "to deceive, lead astray." But in modern usage this word is almost always used as an
error for "elude," meaning "escape, evade." Similarly, you would be better off avoiding the
word "illusive" and using the much more common word "illusory" to mean "deceptive."
"Illusive" is almost always an error for "elusive."

IMPERTINENT/IRRELEVANT
"Impertinent" looks as if it ought to mean the opposite of "pertinent," and indeed it once did;
but for centuries now its meaning in ordinary speech has been narrowed to "impudent,"
specifically in regard to actions or speech toward someone regarded as socially superior.
Only snobs and very old-fashioned people use "impertinent" correctly; most people would
be well advised to forget it and use "irrelevant" instead to mean the opposite of "pertinent."

IMPLY/INFER
These two words, which originally had quite distinct meanings, have become so blended
together that most people no longer distinguish between them. If you want to avoid irritating
the rest of us, use "imply" when something is being suggested without being explicitly stated
and "infer" when someone is trying to arrive at a conclusion based on evidence. "Imply" is
more assertive, active: I imply that you need to revise your paper; and, based on my hints,
you infer that I didn't think highly of your first draft.

Error log/Key Concepts
Free GMAT CATS

Senior DS Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 00:35
SC - Confusable words Part-18

IN SPITE OF/ DESPITE
Although "in spite of" is perfectly standard English, some people prefer "despite" because it is
shorter. Be careful not to mix the two together by saying "despite of" except as part of the
phrase "in despite of" meaning "in defiance of."

IN THE MIST/IN THE MIDST
When you are surrounded by something, you're in the midst of it—its middle. If you're in a
mist, you're just in a fog.

INCREDULOUS/INCREDIBLE
"When Jessica said that my performance at the karaoke bar had been incredible, I was
incredulous." I hope Jessica was using "incredible" in the casual sense of "unbelievably good"
but I knew I used "incredulous" to mean "unbelieving, skeptical," which is the only standard
usage for this word.

INFACT/IN FACT

"In fact" is always two words.

Error log/Key Concepts
Free GMAT CATS

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 00:18
dear all i have words with all 5 vowels and without vowels ok and i have worked on quwerty key boards and an amazing thinghs bring out
Will share next time.
Senior DS Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 06:51

SC - Confusable words Part-19

INSTALL/INSTILL

People conjure up visions of themselves as upgradable robots when they write things like"My Aunt Tillie tried to install the spirit of giving in my heart." The word they are searching
for is "instill." You install equipment, you instill feelings or attitudes.

INSTANCES/INSTANTS
Brief moments are "instants," and examples of anything are "instances."

INTENSE/INTENSIVE
If you are putting forth an intense effort, your work is "intense": "My intense study of Plato convinced me that I would make a good leader." But when the intensity stems not so much
from your effort as it does from outside forces, the usual word is "intensive": "the village endured intensive bombing."

INTERCESSION/INTERSESSION
In theology, "intercession" is a prayer on behalf of someone else; but an alarming number of
colleges use the word to label the period between regular academic sessions. Such a period
is properly an "intersession."

Error log/Key Concepts
Free GMAT CATS

Senior DS Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 06:11

SC - Confusable words Part-20

INTERGRATE/INTEGRATE
There are lots of words that begin with "inter-" but this is not one of them. The word is
"integrate" with just one R.

INTERFACE/INTERACT
The use of the computer term "interface" as a verb, substituting for "interact," is widely
objected to.

INTERMENT/INTERNMENT
Interment is burial; internment is merely imprisonment.

INTERMURAL/INTRAMURAL
"Intramural" means literally "within the walls" and refers to activities that take place entirely
within an institution. When at Macbeth State University the Glamis Hall soccer team plays
against the one from Dunsinane Hall, that's an intramural game. When MSU's Fighting Scots
travel to go up against Cawdor U. in the Porter's Bowl, the game is "intermural" (though the
perfectly correct "intercollegiate" is more often used instead). "Intermural" is constantly both
said and written when "intramural" is meant.

Error log/Key Concepts
Free GMAT CATS

Senior DS Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2018, 07:33

SC - Confusable words Part-21

INTERNET/INTRANET
"Internet" is the proper name of the network most people connect to, and the word needs to
be capitalized. However "intranet," a network confined to a smaller group, is a generic term
which does not deserve capitalization. In advertising, we often read things like "unlimited
Internet, $19." It would be more accurate to refer in this sort of context to "Internet access."

INTO/IN TO
"Into" is a preposition which often answers the question, "where?" For example, "Tom and
Becky had gone far into the cave before they realized they were lost." Sometimes the
"where" is metaphorical, as in, "He went into the army" or "She went into business." It can
also refer by analogy to time: "The snow lingered on the ground well into April." In oldfashioned
math talk, it could be used to refer to division: "two into six is three." In other
instances where the words "in" and "to" just happen to find themselves neighbors, they must
remain separate words. For instance, "Rachel dived back in to rescue the struggling boy."
Here "to" belongs with "rescue" and means "in order to," not "where." (If the phrase had been
"dived back into the water," "into" would be required.)

LCD DISPLAY/LCD
"LCD" stands for "liquid crystal display," so it is redundant to write "LCD display." Use just
"LCD" or "LCD screen" instead.

Error log/Key Concepts
Free GMAT CATS

Senior DS Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 07:06

SC - Confusable words Part-22

LATE/FORMER
If you want to refer to your former husband, don't call him your "late husband" unless he's
dead.

LATER/LATTER
Except in the expression "latter-day" (modern), the word "latter" usually refers back to the
last-mentioned of a set of alternatives. "We gave the kids a choice of a vacation in Paris,
Rome, or Disney World. Of course the latter was their choice." In other contexts not
referring back to such a list, the word you want is "later."
Conservatives prefer to reserve "latter" for the last-named of no more than two items.

LAY/LIE
You lay down the book you've been reading, but you lie down when you go to bed. In the
present tense, if the subject is acting on some other object, it's "lay." If the subject is lying
down, then it's "lie." This distinction is often not made in informal speech, partly because in
the past tense the words sound much more alike: "He lay down for a nap," but "He laid
down the law." If the subject is already at rest, you might "let it lie." If a helping verb is
involved, you need the past participle forms. "Lie" becomes "lain" and "lay" becomes "laid.":
"He had just lain down for a nap," and "His daughter had laid the gerbil on his nose."

Error log/Key Concepts
Free GMAT CATS

GMAT Club Bot
Re: SC : Confusable words &nbs [#permalink] 21 Nov 2018, 07:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

SC : Confusable words

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap