Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1720 [124]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [25]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [2]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: As U.S. nuclear attack submarines prowl their familiar haunts deep wit [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
As U.S. nuclear attack submarines prowl their familiar haunts deep within the oceans of the world these days, they increasingly are engaged in missions far different from the tasks for which they were built and for which their crews were trained over the last forty years.

They = submarines => passive. Parallelism => for which... and for which.....

(A) they increasingly are engaged in missions far different from the tasks for which they were built
Correct
(B) the missions they increasingly engage in are far different than the tasks they were built for
Not parallel
(C) they engage increasingly in missions that differ significantly from the tasks they were built for
Not parallel
(D) the missions they engage in are increasingly different than the tasks for which they were built
different from => idioms
(E) they increasingly engage in missions far different than the tasks for which they were built
different than =>idioms + active.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: As U.S. nuclear attack submarines prowl their familiar haunts deep wit [#permalink]
What is the Idiom in question? Parallelism and Passive is clear, do not clearly see idiom. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 508 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Supply Chain, Logistics
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Send PM
Kudos
also B and D have problem with misplaced modifier after comma. Nonetheless, i think use of They don't have a clear antecedent.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 702 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 530 Q39 V23
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V26
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Bookmarks
aalba005 wrote:
What is the Idiom in question? Parallelism and Passive is clear, do not clearly see idiom. Thanks!

"differ from" or "different from" is the correct idiom -- not "different than".
B, D and E use above incorrect idiom
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [3]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Two things: First 'different from' is correct idiom 'Different than' is wrong. Second, the missions they are engaged with is different to saying that they engage in missions. Of course submarines themselves CAN'T engage in missions.

Thus correct answer can only be A

PS. Everybody wants to go to HBS, me, my best friend and my mama
You gotta play fa real son!! :-D

Cheers
J
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
(A) they increasingly are engaged in missions far different from the tasks for which they were built
Correct
(B) the missions they increasingly engage in are far different than the tasks they were built for
Wrong. Parallelism from the non underlined portion requires for which construct
(C) they engage increasingly in missions that differ significantly from the tasks they were built for
Wrong. Parallelism from the non underlined portion requires for which construct
(D) the missions they engage in are increasingly different than the tasks for which they were built
Different from is correct. Than is wrong as no comparative word is used.
(E) they increasingly engage in missions far different than the tasks for which they were built
Different from is correct. Than is wrong as no comparative word is used.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
In C, "they engage increasingly in missions". In this sentence, does "increasingly" is modifying engage or missions?

As per the explanation of egmat, increasingly should modify engage. Can't we compare it with the case of "only", where it modifies the clause/noun following it?

Where am I getting wrong?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rohitmanglik wrote:
In C, "they engage increasingly in missions". In this sentence, does "increasingly" is modifying engage or missions?

As per the explanation of egmat, increasingly should modify engage. Can't we compare it with the case of "only", where it modifies the clause/noun following it?

Where am I getting wrong?

Hi Rohit, the easiest way to quickly solve this sentence, is on the basis of the following concepts:

i) Whenever there is a structure such as and that.., and which, and who.., and for which.., there must be a corresponding parallel structure on the LHS of and. Notice there that for which is in the non-underlined portion, making the task further easy. So, there has to be a for which in the underlined portion.

ii) Clauses should not end in a preposition. For example, they increasingly engage in is incorrect, since this clause ends in a preposition for.

iii) Different from is the correct idiom.

Option B and C violate i),

Options B and D violate ii)

Option E violates iii)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
rohitmanglik wrote:
Hi Ashish,

Thanks for the reply. Point 2 was very helpful. :)

Well, on point #2, our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a section discussing in further detail, and providing examples from official sources. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi Ashish,

I got your explanation and able to solve this question. I am just wondering what is the difference between "they increasingly are engaged in missions" and "they engage increasingly in missions". Can you please explain it in detail. How does increasingly modify subject?

EducationAisle wrote:
rohitmanglik wrote:
Hi Ashish,

Thanks for the reply. Point 2 was very helpful. :)

Well, on point #2, our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a section discussing in further detail, and providing examples from official sources. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
rohitmanglik wrote:
Hi Ashish,

I got your explanation and able to solve this question. I am just wondering what is the difference between "they increasingly are engaged in missions" and "they engage increasingly in missions". Can you please explain it in detail. How does increasingly modify subject?

increasingly is an adverb (how do we know? Well, because of the good old ly) and so, will modify verbs/adjectives/adverbs.

In the answer choices here, the only option where the use of increasingly is clearly incorrect is option D, which uses increasingly different. Here, increasingly is modifying different, which is an obvious deviation from the original meaning, where increasingly is intended to modify engagement.

Any difference between increasingly engage and engage increasingly is too subtle (if at all there is any) to make it as the basis to eliminate answer choices.

As I mentioned above, there are much more evident reasons why each of the incorrect answer choices can be eliminated.

p.s. I have mailed you the corresponding section from EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana . Do let us know if it was helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
As U.S. nuclear attack submarines prowl their familiar haunts deep within the oceans of the world these days, they increasingly are engaged in missions far different from the tasks for which they were built and for which their crews were trained over the last forty years.
(A) they increasingly are engaged in missions far different from the tasks for which they were builtPassive construction works in sentence as submarines do not engage by themselves. over all construction looks good
(B) the missions they increasingly engage in are far different than the tasks they were built formissions modifies submarines INCORRECT
(C) they engage increasingly in missions that differ significantly from the tasks they were built forsubmarines cannot engage by themselves
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hello,

I’m not clear on why we are using ‘they increasingly are engaged’ rather than ‘they increasingly engage’

How is there is a tense mismatch?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shouryaawasthi wrote:
Hello,

I’m not clear on why we are using ‘they increasingly are engaged’ rather than ‘they increasingly engage’

How is there is a tense mismatch?
Hi Shouryaawasthi,

Both are engaged and engage are present tense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Send PM

POE:
Stop sign- underlined part after a comma, check for modifier error. Eliminate (B) & (D).
Eliminate (C) & (E)- change of meaning; submarines can not go on their own and directly engage in missions.

(A) they increasingly are engaged in missions far different from the tasks for which they were built -CORRECT

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
ssandeepan wrote:

B and C can be eliminated because they do not maintain parallelism, we need to retain "for which [pronoun]" seen after the conjunction.

D is passive and places "the missions" before submarines, they focus should be submarines.

E incorrectly uses "than" to compare "submarines engage in missions" and "were build/were trained".

A is the most correct and keeps the focus on "submarines", and maintains parallelism.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 258
Send PM
ssandeepan wrote:

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts