Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 20:50 It is currently 15 May 2024, 20:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
Re: School Selection Quandary [#permalink]
Just a note: CBS, outside of ED, might be just as tough as Wharton.
Current Student
Send PM
thanks ... any specific reason why you feel that way?

kidderek wrote:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
sm332 wrote:

kidderek wrote:

CBS takes a great number of their students at the ED phase, and there are fewer spots available during the regular phase. I don't have the hard numbers, it's just common knowledge. During ED, CBS's acceptance rate is close to elite school level and during regular decision, it's one of the most difficult to get into.
Current Student
Send PM
hmm ... understood ... i see that the ED dates are coming up. I imagine that ED is open to internationals as well?

kidderek wrote:
sm332 wrote:

kidderek wrote:

CBS takes a great number of their students at the ED phase, and there are fewer spots available during the regular phase. I don't have the hard numbers, it's just common knowledge. During ED, CBS's acceptance rate is close to elite school level and during regular decision, it's one of the most difficult to get into.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
kidderek wrote:
sm332 wrote:

kidderek wrote:

I was looking on the BW forum topic that the Columbia adcom started. She said the acceptance rates are about the same between ED and RD. Of course that is a typical adcom answer; however, I imagine that the rates are about the same, but the caliber of applicants may be different...just speculation of course.
Current Student
Also, it seems like more people are posting pseudo profile evaluation requests lately. I think the "Peer Review" sub-forum would be a better place for these. Thoughts?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
According to admissions411, the caliber of applicants is indeed very very different. Unless you're certain you have a decent shot at Wharton, it may be a smart idea to go Columbia ED.
Current Student
Send PM
mate my profile is already there ... I have been here long enough to know the rules of forum. this thread was opened for a specific purpose .. so kindly desist from needless banter.

maverick2011 wrote:
Also, it seems like more people are posting pseudo profile evaluation requests lately. I think the "Peer Review" sub-forum would be a better place for these. Thoughts?
Current Student
sm332 wrote:
mate my profile is already there ... I have been here long enough to know the rules of forum. this thread was opened for a specific purpose .. so kindly desist from needless banter.

maverick2011 wrote:

Sorry if I offended you (which I obviously did). That wasn't a jab at you. I guess that is the drawback to e-conversations.

Anyway, the only reason I mentioned it is because the sub-forum was created recently and I thought that was the intent of creating it. I don't really care though...just trying to ask a question.
Current Student
Send PM
sorry if i came across harshly ... wasnt my intent ... but back to the main pt ... the profile review spot is available only to those with 100+ posts and hence you get more pertinent feedback but from a much smaller audience.

in my case, i was hoping to get some thoughts on sweet spot schools ... but going by the lack of responses to this thread it is obvious that it hasnt happened.

maverick2011 wrote:
sm332 wrote:

maverick2011 wrote:

Sorry if I offended you (which I obviously did). That wasn't a jab at you. I guess that is the drawback to e-conversations.

Anyway, the only reason I mentioned it is because the sub-forum was created recently and I thought that was the intent of creating it. I don't really care though...just trying to ask a question.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Just my 2c on the ED vs RD issue. Last year according to some sources on b-week, 75% of the class was filled by the ED applicants. CBS is an interesting school- the % acceptance that they publish includes ED, RD AND J-Term. Alex on b-week has said that in the past, the acceptance % used to be ~30% for ED.

The class size is ~750 and ~240 are J-Terms. So you are looking at ~500 in the regular MBA program. Assuming 70% of them are accepted in ED, or even 50% for that matter, then you have only about 200-250 seats open in RD.

The overall % is ~15%. My guess is ED % is about 25%, J-Term ~30% and the RD % is single digits.

So- if you are really interested in CBS, apply ED. I believe businessdocn08 got into CBS RD but he had a pretty unique profile.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Um.. what are the essays for Columbia?
They are not published yet, am I correct?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:

Agreed this place is starting to look like BW with tons of individuals asking for school selection advice. The peer review area would be much better or even a generic thread for discussion about selecting schools.
Current Student
Send PM
fair enough ... can the mods please move this to whatever is the appropriate location.

riverripper wrote:
maverick2011 wrote:

Agreed this place is starting to look like BW with tons of individuals asking for school selection advice. The peer review area would be much better or even a generic thread for discussion about selecting schools.
GMAT Club Bot