GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 07:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

School Suggestions - Arts Admin Seeks Reset

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Statistics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.8
School Suggestions - Arts Admin Seeks Reset  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 05:51
Stats: 30yo/White/M

Work experience: 7 years working in the finance departments for Broadway theater companies - 5 years as "Finance Associate" for the general managers of several Broadway Shows and 2+ as "Junior Accountant" for a company which owns a plurality of Broadway theaters.

Extra curriculars: Most of my hobbies revolve around personal fitness & rec sports leagues. Last year, I performed in a friend's show for a play writing festival and received an acting award, though I'm not sure that's relevant. I am currently taking improv classes to improve my "soft skills" and will soon start independently studying data science. For personal reasons, I am researching volunteer opportunities, but I don't want to make it look like I'm doing it just for lines on my application.

Undergrad school/major: Top 30 US US News & World Report - Economics and Dramatic Art

Undergrad GPA: 3.803

GMAT Score : 700 (Q44/V41). I know it's a relatively weak Q, but I do have A's on my transcript in my econ courses (micro/macro/advanced macro/public finance) as well as quantitative electives including stats, accounting, corp finance.

Goal of MBA: I initially began looking into MBA programs to get the formal accounting training necessary to move into management positions at my current job, however, my interest in accounting and fervor for theater has waned in recent years. In doing more research, I now think my best approach would be to enter a full time program and explore other interests like economics (particularly behavioral economics if possible), business analytics, organizational behavior, and operations. I think industries like entertainment, education, NPOs or the startup world would be a good fit.

I am worried about my age as I would be 31 by the time I would start a program (years of anxiety/depression have held me back). Also, I do not have much savings, and would also need to borrow for living expenses. On the plus side, the opportunity costs my of lost salary are very low ;)

Targets: I'd love to stay close to NY, but am open to East Coast and Midwest. Current schools of interest include:

Reaches: Duke Fuqua, UVA Darden, NYU Stern, Cornell Johnson, Yale
Targets: Georgetown McDonough, Carnegie Mellon Tepper, Emory Goizueta
Considerations (ie I hope to be eligible for scholarship): CUNY Baruch Zicklin (to stay in NY), Notre Dame Mendoza, Indiana Kelley, Washington at St. Louis Olin, Penn State Smeal

tl:dr - 30 y/o male with unclear future seeks MBA for better direction. Any input greatly appreciated.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Re: School Suggestions - Arts Admin Seeks Reset  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 08:01
Hey ajowen21
Thanks for posting and what an interesting backstory! This, along with your 3.8 GPA, makes for an interesting applicant. (Please tell me you've worked on Hamilton??)

Ok, a few things...I want you to forget about accounting. No one goes to b-school to become an accountant. (Sounds like you may have come to this conclusion too but I just want to be clear!) Then, I want you to download the employment reports of your dream schools. Look at who is hiring and who you get excited about. This may help you shape your goals. I think the pitch for a business role at Sony Pictures, Disney/ESPN is very clear so that could make sense for you. Good feeder schools for this path are Stern and UCLA. But...the 700 will be tough here.

The scholarship money is going to be further down the list...schools where your GMAT and GPA are more attractive. I actually like your approach to school selection because it shows you are already taking a diverse portfolio approach. Two programs you could consider if tech/startups are attractive though: NYU Stern Tech and Cornell Tech. If you're kinda done with the GMAT, these two programs could provide good options.

I'm actually not so worried about the age because you are so unique and you are focusing on a good mix of schools.

You strike me as the type of person who would get a lot out of a free consultation so I encourage you to set one up at your convenience to get more specific and targeted advice in a private setting. Link in signature!

My best,
Krista

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Statistics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.8
Re: School Suggestions - Arts Admin Seeks Reset  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 15:24
mbaMissionKrista wrote:
Hey ajowen21
Thanks for posting and what an interesting backstory! This, along with your 3.8 GPA, makes for an interesting applicant. (Please tell me you've worked on Hamilton??)

Ok, a few things...I want you to forget about accounting. No one goes to b-school to become an accountant. (Sounds like you may have come to this conclusion too but I just want to be clear!) Then, I want you to download the employment reports of your dream schools. Look at who is hiring and who you get excited about. This may help you shape your goals. I think the pitch for a business role at Sony Pictures, Disney/ESPN is very clear so that could make sense for you. Good feeder schools for this path are Stern and UCLA. But...the 700 will be tough here.

The scholarship money is going to be further down the list...schools where your GMAT and GPA are more attractive. I actually like your approach to school selection because it shows you are already taking a diverse portfolio approach. Two programs you could consider if tech/startups are attractive though: NYU Stern Tech and Cornell Tech. If you're kinda done with the GMAT, these two programs could provide good options.

I'm actually not so worried about the age because you are so unique and you are focusing on a good mix of schools.

You strike me as the type of person who would get a lot out of a free consultation so I encourage you to set one up at your convenience to get more specific and targeted advice in a private setting. Link in signature!

My best,
Krista

Krista - Thank you so much for the reply! Unfortunately I did NOT work on Hamilton, but I've worked on a few other popular shows and gone to a few Broadway openings - great fun!

I'm well aware that b-school isn't for accounting! The initial plan when I started researching programs was to do an evening program that was designed for accountant types that didn't have the undergrad background. Now I'm very excited/intrigued with the possibility of completely revamping my stale career. I really like your suggestion (mandate? :)) of looking at the employment reports as I've been struggling with how to define my "why I need an MBA" story.

I had no idea about the Cornell or Stern tech options. I'm curious as to how entrepreneurially focused or limited they'd be, but I do see that they at least have electives in mathematical decision sciences, which really intrigues me. The one year program length is also a plus. I've signed up for information sessions to both programs.

I'm not necessarily opposed to retaking the GMAT to improve my shot at reach schools that would keep my closer to NY. Especially since I've missed the cut-off for fall entry, I'd have spring/summer to improve my quanitative score. My therapist has been encouraging me to at least go ahead and throw an app out there for Georgetown since the deadline is 5/1, but the application is expensive and I'm sure my chances are much lower at this stage in the process.

Anyway - Thank you again for your input, and I'll try to sort out a time for a consultation.

Cheers,

School Suggestions - Arts Admin Seeks Reset

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap