It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Schools that have grade disclosure

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 0

Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Re: Schools that have grade disclosure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2008, 10:13
kryzak wrote:

If you're just looking to hire someone who's book smart and can get his job done as an individual contributor, then yes, high GPA and GMAT are the way to go. If you're looking for a leader who have proven themselves in leading teams, projects, and organizations and have hands-on training, then the resume is more important than the GPA.


The top consulting and banking firms are filled with book smart type people, especially at the junior levels.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Re: Schools that have grade disclosure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2008, 10:20
terp06 wrote:
The top consulting and banking firms are filled with book smart type people, especially at the junior levels.


for UG banking hiring, yes. For MBA banking hiring? I think they look for a little more than just book-smart, based on the extensive and involved interviewing process which pelihu has written about in great detail.

For consulting, for MBA hiring (which is quite different from UG hiring) based on our 2nd year classmates' experiences, you have to really demonstrate leadership ability/experience, and show that you can work well with all kinds of team members and clients to get the job at a top consulting firm. They (the firms) want the cake and eat it too (i.e. good grades, good brand, and good non-academic activities).
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 0

Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Re: Schools that have grade disclosure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2008, 10:44
kryzak wrote:
terp06 wrote:
The top consulting and banking firms are filled with book smart type people, especially at the junior levels.


for UG banking hiring, yes. For MBA banking hiring? I think they look for a little more than just book-smart, based on the extensive and involved interviewing process which pelihu has written about in great detail.

For consulting, for MBA hiring (which is quite different from UG hiring) based on our 2nd year classmates' experiences, you have to really demonstrate leadership ability/experience, and show that you can work well with all kinds of team members and clients to get the job at a top consulting firm. They (the firms) want the cake and eat it too (i.e. good grades, good brand, and good non-academic activities).


Very good point. There is quite a distinction between the UG and MBA hires. The UG hires are not career track, the MBA hires are expected to be to some degree.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 171

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Schools that have grade disclosure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2008, 06:34
So for the IB/MC firms who always looking into the GPA, is there a cutoff point? What GPA is decent for them

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 347

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

Location: Evanston, IL
Re: Schools that have grade disclosure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2008, 10:58
To Kry's point on the GPA only helping on getting you a first round interview, here at Kellogg every single on-campus recruiter has to open spots to bidding for first round interviews (i.e. usually around 30-50% of first round interviews are awarded based on points bidding by students rather than closed lists of the interviewers).

Given that most consulting firms advance candidates almost exclusively on their performance within the case interview, it really diminishes the impact of grades.

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Re: Schools that have grade disclosure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2008, 12:09
Steel wrote:
To Kry's point on the GPA only helping on getting you a first round interview, here at Kellogg every single on-campus recruiter has to open spots to bidding for first round interviews (i.e. usually around 30-50% of first round interviews are awarded based on points bidding by students rather than closed lists of the interviewers).

Given that most consulting firms advance candidates almost exclusively on their performance within the case interview, it really diminishes the impact of grades.


good point Steel, I forgot about that. Haas also requires anyone who recruits on campus to open up 50% of their total slots to bidding.
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

Re: Schools that have grade disclosure   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2008, 12:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Schools that have grade disclosure

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: aeropower, OasisGC, bb10



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.