GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 10:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

November 24, 2018

November 24, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Score went from 730 to 600 in the real GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Score went from 730 to 600 in the real GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 08:05
Hi Everyone,

After months of preparing for GMAT and getting a score between 690 and 730 on Kaplan tests(verbal - 41-43; quant - 47-49, IR-5-7), I gave the GMAT only to get a score of 600(V35 Q38). Now I am overwhelmed with how to go about it, whether I should give it again and what study plans I should take or which coaching centers i should join. Also, when it comes to Quant, I am still a little confident as compared to Verbal: I have blanked out completely and now find it difficult to even speak in normal English without fumbling. I am lost and open to any suggestion which could get me out of this dilemma.

I have gone through the following study materials and given the following mock tests.

MGMAT
- foundations of Math and Verbal, and all strategy guides
- 1 mock test

Kaplan
- Prep Plus 2019
- GMAT 800

Princeton
- 5 mock tests

Veritas
- 7 mock tests (score around 650)

Economist GMAT
- 1 mock test

GMAT mock

OG 16 and 17
VP
VP
G
Re: Score went from 730 to 600 in the real GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 09:35
Hi Neeta, while you say that you are relatively more confident in Quant, your score split shows a completely different story. You've in fact scored quite decent in Verbal (85th percentile; however, your Quant (38) is way below average (33th percentile).

Do you recall what actually went so horribly bad with Quant, in your exam (despite the fact that you're more confident in Quant)?

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Director
Director
D
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 09:40
I can understand this is disappointing for you to have such an experience.

This can happen due to multiple reasons.

But let this NOT disappoint you. It could be helpful to order an ESR (i.e. enhanced score report, if not bought already) from mba.com. You would get enough data points to work on. Then you may pose specific questions in this forum. Was the drop due to content, timing or difficulty level etc?

Maybe we might be able to help you further with specific feedback.

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 17:55
Hi neetakarnik,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss either of those issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied overall?
2) On what dates did you take each of your practice CATs and how have you scored on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 00:02
Hi neetakarnik,

I am sorry to know that your scores were not in line with your expectations. I can understand why you are feeling overwhelmed. A lot of students have been through what you are facing now but with the right strategy and approach they were able to reach their target score. Here are a few such examples to motivate you:
    • Anurag improved from 600 to 740. Click here to watch his inspiring debrief.
    • Guillermo improved from a Q38 (36 percentile) to Q50 (85 percentile). Click here to watch his interview. Click here to read his amazing GMAT Club debrief.

Regarding your Retake Strategy, I think you should first look at your ESR to see what went wrong on the test day. You may find the following articles useful:

If you have any further queries regarding the GMAT, feel free to write to us at support@e-gmat.com

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2018, 10:17
Hi neetakarnik,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. The score decrease could have resulted from a number of things. The most likely reason for the difference between your scores on practice tests and your score on the real GMAT is that in your preparation, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on the actual GMAT. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests. So, to hit your GMAT score goal (which I believe is 700+), you probably have to adjust the way that you’ve been preparing.

Although you self-admittedly are less confident in quant than you are in verbal, since you scored low in both, I recommend focusing on both so that you are able to maximize your score increase on your next GMAT. To improve your skills, your preparation is going to have to be more complete, meaning that you have to go through quant and verbal carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills. The overall process will be to learn all about how to answer question types with which you currently aren't very comfortable and do dozens of practice questions category by category, basically driving up your score point by point. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant and verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

If you’d like more specific advice on how to improve your quant and verbal skills, feel free to reach back out.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 04:50
neetakarnik wrote:
Hi Everyone,

After months of preparing for GMAT and getting a score between 690 and 730 on Kaplan tests(verbal - 41-43; quant - 47-49, IR-5-7), I gave the GMAT only to get a score of 600(V35 Q38). Now I am overwhelmed with how to go about it, whether I should give it again and what study plans I should take or which coaching centers i should join. Also, when it comes to Quant, I am still a little confident as compared to Verbal: I have blanked out completely and now find it difficult to even speak in normal English without fumbling. I am lost and open to any suggestion which could get me out of this dilemma.

I have gone through the following study materials and given the following mock tests.

MGMAT
- foundations of Math and Verbal, and all strategy guides
- 1 mock test

Kaplan
- Prep Plus 2019
- GMAT 800

Princeton
- 5 mock tests

Veritas
- 7 mock tests (score around 650)

Economist GMAT
- 1 mock test

GMAT mock

OG 16 and 17

Hi neetakarnik,

You can try out the Target Test Prep or E-gmat Quant course as they are both phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. Plus it has great reviews on GMATCLUB. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Experts Global Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practice tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice.

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 19:02
neetakarnik wrote:
Also, when it comes to Quant, I am still a little confident as compared to Verbal: I have blanked out completely and now find it difficult to even speak in normal English without fumbling. I am lost and open to any suggestion which could get me out of this dilemma.
EducationAisle is correct. Your verbal score (V35 is 76%) is not bad at all. I'd pick up the paid GMATPrep practice tests if I were you.

Posted from my mobile device

Ascore Prep | Live Online

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Score went from 730 to 600 in the real GMAT &nbs [#permalink] 03 Nov 2018, 19:02

Score went from 730 to 600 in the real GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap