Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Re: Scored 390, Is this the end of road for me ? [#permalink]
ccooley wrote:
The good news is, there's an obvious reason for your score to be that low: you didn't really finish the test! There's an interesting debate about whether the later questions are as important as the earlier ones, but it's pretty clear that guessing on that many questions at the end will hurt you significantly.

That said, given your current score, you probably need to brush up on the basics before you can really focus on test-taking strategy. There are going to be a lot of questions you can't answer yet, just because you don't know the right terminology, basic math/grammar, and how the question types work. I'd recommend picking up MPrep's Foundations of Math and Foundations of Verbal and studying those in depth - do the end-of-chapter drill sets, take notes and make flashcards, etc. If you'd rather do a class, we also teach Foundations of Math as a series of two three-hour workshops:

Hello,

I have just ordered MGMAT 10 strategy guides. 6th edition after going through multiple reviews on different forums. Will try to go through MFOM & MFOV books first before going through strategy guides.

How much time is needed to go through entire M strategy guides and foundation books? Is there any study plan which I can specifically focus on?

Regards,
MoM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Well, the past is the past. Really, you shouldn't even have stepped into the exam room. Taking a practice test would have given you a range of what score you might expect. Arguably if you got a low score on the practice test, you would have made the call to postpone your exam date to allow for more practice.

But plenty of people make this mistake each year. This is the moment many realize "oh, I can't just take the test. And I can't just study. I have to study with prep and a clear plan!"

That's when students really start considering test prep - and so we welcome you to do your research. Try out the free resources over at gmatpill - we focus on your thinking process for the exam and use videos to make the learning smooth and easy. Check out the program and our site https://www.gmatpill.com

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
There's no reason to give up now. Many take the GMAT 4 times or more. There's a whole lot you can do before throwing in the towel.

And I know that it's possible for you to make a step increase in this.

I just read an article about how second time test takers make huge gains.

I do think that it would potentially be wise for you to work with someone, to understand better what perceptions that assumption you are bringing to the questions that are keeping you from choosing the right answers.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com

Originally posted by MBAPrepCoach on 09 Aug 2016, 22:31.
Last edited by MBAPrepCoach on 11 Aug 2016, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Manonamission wrote:

I just gave GMAT test and got a very low score :( :( ...
Really disappointed to see this score after studying in a not so comprehensive way.
I must admit that I studied in bits and pieces and in a very random manner.

During the time of examination, I was unable to cope up with time challenges and could not solve questions in stipulated 75 mins in each of the two sections , Quant & Verbal. I had to randomly mark the answers as I virtually ran out of time for approximately 15 questions in both the sections. Infact, in Quant I could mark only 36/37. But, I feel I was very slow in SC Qs , reading RC passages and grasping underlying questions. Below is the breakup

IR : 1
Quant : 29
Verbal : 16

Please advise how should I formulate my study plan and should I even think of giving GMAT in next 4 months?( I am working full time)

Appreciate your reply.

Regards
MoM

There are a few reasons why you did not score well on the test:

1. Obviously you did not prepare whole heartedly for the test
2. You did not finish the test
3. I am assuming that you would have not taken many mock tests too.
4. You did not follow any study material/book
5. You did not solve the OG and the Verbal review

Your score shows a clear lacking of fundamentals and concepts. You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.

In addition to the preparatory material, buy the Official Guides(both the Official Guide and the Verbal Review), Question Pack 1 and the 4 official mock CATs. They should be an indispensable part of your preparation.

You need close to 3 months to prepare well for the GMAT.

1. Understand the concepts and fundamentals before jumping into problem solving
2. Solve full length CATs including AWA and IR. You can get two free GMAT Prep mock CATs and can purchase two more from mba.com
3. Make sure you solve the official questions from the Official Guide
GMAT Club Bot