Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Scored 590 (Q47 V25) [#permalink]
tarek99 wrote:
guys, I'm VERY happy with my math score, but my verbal score brutally hurt my overall score. I know that I just need to maintain my math knowledge, but I STILL need to work hard on verbal. I really don't get it, whenever I practice on the CAT tests, I keep scoring high on the verbal, but I hardly pass the score of 30 on the real test. Any advice on this issue? Here is the debrief:

Quant: The questions were difficult, but I still managed my cool. I had one permutation & combination question that was too complex for me to grasp, so I guessed and moved on. However, I was running out of time so I had to randomly guess the remaining 7 questions. In general, before I started to guess in the remaining 7 questions, there was not a single question that I couldn't solve (except for that 1 combination question).

Verbal: Even though I thought I knew grammar, I still came across some SC questions that stumbled me. I felt the same way with the CR questions. As for the RC, I had 2 passages that were BRUTALLY difficult. How on earth can I improve my verbal?? I tried almost all the resources and I thought that I finally understood them, but the real test just gave me another slap in the face. Any advice people? I'll really appreciate it.

Sorry to hear that. I believe you are definitely around 700 candidate.

Looks like you are stressed out on Verbal section. How about your RC and CR skills.?

Did you go through POWERPREP BIBLE for CR?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Do you use Gmatter? that really helped me a lot. For SC, you just have to spend a lot of time really understanding why each choice is right or wrong - go for perfection on this! For RCs and CRs outside of OG, I used LSAT paper tests. You should also try to improve your Quantitative to 50. I'm sure challenges can really help even if you have used them before and they will also help you with time management.

To improve your time managemnt, train yourself to not check clock after every question because thats a lot of waste of time instead check as less often as possible. After first 6/7 questions, I wouldn't spend more than 2 minutes on any question.
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
I used the gmatter once and was dissapointed when i realized that most of the questions were from the OG because i was familiar with most of the questions, so it ruined the purpose of studying. Are all the questions from the OG?
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
x2suresh wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
guys, I'm VERY happy with my math score, but my verbal score brutally hurt my overall score. I know that I just need to maintain my math knowledge, but I STILL need to work hard on verbal. I really don't get it, whenever I practice on the CAT tests, I keep scoring high on the verbal, but I hardly pass the score of 30 on the real test. Any advice on this issue? Here is the debrief:

Quant: The questions were difficult, but I still managed my cool. I had one permutation & combination question that was too complex for me to grasp, so I guessed and moved on. However, I was running out of time so I had to randomly guess the remaining 7 questions. In general, before I started to guess in the remaining 7 questions, there was not a single question that I couldn't solve (except for that 1 combination question).

Verbal: Even though I thought I knew grammar, I still came across some SC questions that stumbled me. I felt the same way with the CR questions. As for the RC, I had 2 passages that were BRUTALLY difficult. How on earth can I improve my verbal?? I tried almost all the resources and I thought that I finally understood them, but the real test just gave me another slap in the face. Any advice people? I'll really appreciate it.

Sorry to hear that. I believe you are definitely around 700 candidate.

Looks like you are stressed out on Verbal section. How about your RC and CR skills.?

Did you go through POWERPREP BIBLE for CR?

yes, i did have a look at the CR bible. I thought that it was a great book, but i still get a low score on the verbal. that sucks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
mbawaters wrote:
To improve your time managemnt, train yourself to not check clock after every question because thats a lot of waste of time instead check as less often as possible. After first 6/7 questions, I wouldn't spend more than 2 minutes on any question.

+1

Exactly. Looking at the timer actually wastes more time than just solving the questions away. I am trying to develop a system for this, say look at the remaining time only after the 10th, 17th, etc. question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I am in the same boat with you. My quant is little higher than your quant, but my Verbal is little lower than yours. Overall score is the same.

I am not able to improve my Verbal score. Also, I used all of the material.
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
and you know what sucks? I studied the grammar in DETAIL. I think I covered almost everything that needs to be covered. The only thing that I can think of is improve my speed. Also, I believe that since i'm not getting a good score on verbal and lack the speed, maybe I should try a different strategy: maybe next time, I should work my best to make sure that I get the first 25 questions correctly and, in order to save more time, skip the 26th question so that I can gain at least that extra 2 more minutes to work on the remaining problems. Since the questions way after the second half of the section are worth less than the questions in the first half, then may be this strategy will not affect my section score. what do you think?

I could consider skipping the 26th and the 32nd question. By doing so, I can gain at least 4 minutes and I could still finish the section strongly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
well, I'm in your shoes I'm afraid

My idea is to improve my reading skill. If I would be able to read in english as I read in my own language (spanish) I'm sure I would reach my target score in verbal part.

Improving in reading will make you better in RC and CR, I guess.

For SC... man, you should pray to avoid difficult idioms...

Just my two cents...

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
I used the gmatter once and was dissapointed when i realized that most of the questions were from the OG because i was familiar with most of the questions, so it ruined the purpose of studying. Are all the questions from the OG?

yes they do have those 1000 documents as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
and you know what sucks? I studied the grammar in DETAIL. I think I covered almost everything that needs to be covered. The only thing that I can think of is improve my speed. Also, I believe that since i'm not getting a good score on verbal and lack the speed, maybe I should try a different strategy: maybe next time, I should work my best to make sure that I get the first 25 questions correctly and, in order to save more time, skip the 26th question so that I can gain at least that extra 2 more minutes to work on the remaining problems. Since the questions way after the second half of the section are worth less than the questions in the first half, then may be this strategy will not affect my section score. what do you think?

I could consider skipping the 26th and the 32nd question. By doing so, I can gain at least 4 minutes and I could still finish the section strongly.

I'd advise not be that hard and fast on skipping questions. If the 26 and 32nd questions are easier ones, it could hurt you for skipping those ones. If you running short on time and playing catch up, it is a better idea to skip difficult/timeconsuming questions, such as RC ones of kind - "The author infers each of the following except?" and difficult CR's.

I feel that you are quite good on the subject and concepts. Its more of a practice and identifying a strategy. Between your preparation, trying giving regular timed CAT's, if you encounter the questions you already done before - try solving them again as you are doing them for the first time, specially those CR's that tend to stick in the heads for long - Identify the premises and conclusion and eliminate each of the answer choices.

Don't lose heart, you are in for a 700+ one day.
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
The thing is, I have been practicing with the verbal a lot. How come I score really high on the verbal on the practice CATS, but then I score really low on the real verbal test?? I really don't understand this. Math has always been consistent for me whether i'm taking a practice test or the the real test. that is really really really frustrating! ahhhh....maybe we should ask the al qaeda to target ETS. lol...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V28
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
The thing is, I have been practicing with the verbal a lot. How come I score really high on the verbal on the practice CATS, but then I score really low on the real verbal test?? I really don't understand this. Math has always been consistent for me whether i'm taking a practice test or the the real test. that is really really really frustrating! ahhhh....maybe we should ask the al qaeda to target ETS. lol...

it happens to me too :cry:

I think It's not the same doing practices than doing exams. During an (practice) exam, you reach the verbal part after more than an hour doing maths; therefore, you are not fresh...

GMAT is also a resistance test

Maybe, this could be an explanation for this problem

Cheers
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
are you suggesting that I do my essay writing when taking a practice exam? well to be honest, I haven't been writing any essays when I was taking the practice CAT's. Maybe I should consider this approach? Well, there is no doubt that I was mentally exhausted when I had reached to the verbal section of the real test.

Then perhaps I should practice on my verbal after being mentally punished when doing both the essays and the math for over 2 hours and 30 mins, so that I can train my mind to remain focused for verbal after that. This is such a mental marathon exam indeed because I honestly don't feel that I lack any knowledge in verbal, so this must be the explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V28
Send PM
well, I didn't neither do a AWA before my exams at home, but there is no doubt that this affect to the final score

For my next attempt, I will try to do at least half hour of AWA before quant...

When I started the GMAT process, I practiced with 5-questions sets (of course timing them) and after doing a full examn my score was nearly 700... :oops:

I absolutely agree with you: marathon is the apropriate word.

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Hey tarek even i have seen your posts...you deserve much better....jus dont give up.....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
suyashjhawar wrote:
Hey tarek even i have seen your posts...you deserve much better....jus dont give up.....

I agree.. with you..

TAREK,
Shoot the GMAT until you win... "I will do the same thing"
:2gunfire: GMAT :2gunfire: GMAT :2gunfire: GMAT :2gunfire: GMAT :2gunfire: GMAT
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts