Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 09:36 It is currently 21 May 2024, 09:36
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V37
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5154 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11689 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1811 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Re: Scored 670 in GMAT...need guidance [#permalink]
Expert Reply
rchagant wrote:
Hi everyone,
I took the official in-person test twice and scored 670 (Q45, V37, AWA 6/6) in my 1st attempt (March 2021) and 670 again (Q48, V34) in my 2nd attempt (May 2021).

Details on prep
After my 2nd attempt a couple of days ago, I realized that I've some subtle weak areas in Quant and RC. I've also developed rotten robotic techniques in CR. I practiced too many questions (1000s from MGMAT, GMATClub, Magoosh, OG) for my 2nd attempt to perfect my timing. As a consequence, I overlooked the qualitative aspect of solving questions. I took four MGMAT tests over 3-4 weeks prior to my 2nd attempt:
MGMAT1 - 620 (Q39, V35)
MGMAT2 - 600 (Q44, V30)
MGMAT3 - 630 (Q44, V32)
MGMAT4 - 590 (Q40, V32)

I've been preparing for almost 8+ months but my office work has been extremely challenging. I've been working 12+ hours daily (some days up to 15 hours) since Jan 2021 on a new customer project that could result in huge revenues for my company in Q3/Q4. It's been difficult to have a consistent study schedule because of this stressful environment. I've also been studying alone without buddies or mentors so it's been a bit hard to stay motivated all the time.

Plan
My target score is 730+. I need to take a month break (June) as I need to finish the critical customer project. My plan is to start fresh early July and take another attempt late August. I plan to apply to B schools in September.

I was wondering if someone could help me with some of the following items:
1. A personalized and effective study plan for 2 months targeting one weak area at a time (I can share my ESR...please PM me).
2. I'm looking for guidance on how to methodically understand and review questions by focusing on quality rather than quantity.
3. I've already used up 50% of OG 2020. I'm concerned that I'm going to remember the answers next time I review them. How should I go about this?
4. I'd also like to learn and work on techniques on how to improve focus so as to effectively use 2-3 hour daily study sessions given my intense work schedule.

Thank you for taking out the time...I really appreciate it.

Hi rchagant,

You are absolutely right about the personalized study plan. As you are working professional and are have 2 months to study, you would need a personalized study plan which takes into consideration the number of hours you can study in a week. Once you have the tasks with clear deadlines, the process becomes a lot more structured.

Coming to your second question, you are right that you need to focus on the quality than on the quantity. GMAT is a test of application of concepts. So, your focus while preparing has to be to learn the right process of solving questions. Looking at your score, it seems that you are conceptually clear but are struggling with the application of concepts. We can gave an in-depth clarity on this once we look at your ESR. For the topics in which you are conceptually clear and are struggling with the application, you need to spend more time on analyzing the solutions of the questions. By analysis, I mean, go through each step of the solution, identify the exact step at which you are making the mistake, introspect what made you take that decision at that point of time and then learn the right approach.

For example, the process of solving CR questions might include a lot of steps such as:

• Reading the argument and identifying the individual elements such as Premise and the Conclusion
  • Reading the question stem and understanding what is being asked exactly
  • Pre-thinking the missing link
  • Eliminating answer choices which are irrelevant, out of scope and distorted.

You might be struggling with any of the above steps. It's important to identify the exact step to learn the right process. And you can do that only when you spend considerable time analyzing the solutions.

Coming to the third question, as you have already used OG, it might not be a good idea to solve the same questions as the assessment might not be accurate. Moreover, it's important for you to nullify the gaps before you start practicing questions again.

As you said, an ESR will give us better insights about your weak areas and your performance in individual modules. I'll PM you the details and we can connect over a zoom conference call. That way, we can analyze your ESR together and come up with a personalized plan of action. I'll tell you about the personalized study plan during the call itself.

Click here to schedule a call
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16710 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello rchagant,

A score of 670 in the Official GMAT tells the entire story about how well prepared you are and how to change the gear now to meet the target score.

You can schedule a Comprehensive counseling session for 30 mins with one of our experts:https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session for detailed advice on your current study plans.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!

Math Revolution Team
GMAT Club Bot