Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:57 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE:Corporate Finance (Telecommunications)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Scored 720 in official mocks, 680+ in MGMAT and Veritas CATs [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT.

The good news is that you scored really well on quant, right? That said, I understand that you are not satisfied with your verbal score, so the question we need to ask is why you scored so high on your practice exams but lower on the real GMAT.

Assuming that you took your official practice exams under realistic testing conditions, the results show that, on a good day, you are capable of scoring higher than you did on the actual GMAT. Thus, it’s quite possible that nerves, stress, tiredness, or a combination of all three negatively affected your test-day performance. However, it’s also possible that you have some lingering weaknesses that were exposed on test day. Although I’m unsure of how you prepared, it’s possible that, in your preparation, particularly in verbal, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on the actual GMAT. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests. So, for you to hit your score goal, your preparation, particularly for verbal, probably needs to be more complete, meaning that you have to go through the various types of GMAT questions carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills.

For verbal specifically, you have to become more skilled at clearly defining the differences between trap choices and correct answers. Otherwise, you will get stuck guessing between two choices or be surprised to find that you incorrectly answered questions that you thought you answered correctly. Becoming more skilled in this way takes carefully analyzing all of the answer choices to lots of verbal questions to develop an eye for the logical differences between the choices. In other words, you have to go beyond answering practice questions and reading explanations to doing deep analysis of questions to learn to see everything that is going on in them.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant and verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find it helpful to read the following articles:

how to score a 700+ on the GMAT

Why Was My GMAT Score Lower Than My Practice Test Scores?
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1802 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatwitcher wrote:
I've been studying for around 5 months now. I took e-gmat subscription and prepared verbal from there.
Verbal - In the mocks, I used to scored in the range of 34-36 in MGMAT and Veritas, and 36-38 in the OFFICIAL ones. Ended up scoring a mere V31 on the actual GMAT. I've exhausted the official GMAT prep verbal question bank and don't know where else to practice from. Looking back, I find that RC is my area of concern and I'll have to improve tremendously in it in order to actually score around V35.

Quants : Scored 51 in the official ones, 48+ in GMATclub CATs and 49+ in MGMAT and Veritas. Ended up with a 49. I couldn't time the last few questions properly and had to take calculative risks, but I'm sure that except those, I must've got wrong only a couple of questions at max. I'll be attempting the some more GMATclub CATs to get a Q51 on the GMAT.

Can any expert guide? I scored even less on the actual exam than MGMAT, E-GMAT, Veritas, GMAC, ALL OF THE MOCKS !!

Hi gmatwitcher,

As far as quant is concerned, getting a 49/50 depends more on the test day. I believe that you have the capability of scoring a Q50 on a good day. But verbal seems to be a major concern. V31 indicates that you are probably struggling with not one module but two modules. That can be CR or SC other than RC, the one you mentioned. So, it's important to identify your weak areas first and then work on them.

The path ahead:

As your main concern is RC, I suggest you to identify at which step you are faltering in. There are multiple stages in the process of solving an RC question.
  • Reading the passage in an inferential manner
  • Summarizing each para
  • Deriving the main point
  • Understanding the question stem
  • Looking for the relevant portion in the passage
  • Eliminating incorrect answer choices on solid grounds and choosing the right one (Most important)

As you see, eliminating the incorrect answer choices forms the final and the most important step in the process. The test makers frame close answer choices by using similar words. So, if you do not use the right strategies, you will most likely end up getting stuck between two answer choices.

How to learn the right methods?

The best way to learn the right methods and strategies is by analyzing the detailed solutions. By analyzing I mean, go through the step by step solution, compare your approach with the right one, identify at which step you faltered and nullify the gaps. This way you will be able to learn the right method in an effective way.

So, I would suggest you to choose a resource which would help you identify your weak areas and work on them. If you are open to suggestion, I would suggest you to check out the Verbal module of GMATWhiz. It rightly focuses on teaching the methodology. If you wish to have a detailed discussion about your weak areas and how to improve them, you can get in touch with me using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot